anyone know where I can buy some flesh eating beetles

C

cook2

I found a nice winter kill bull elk and I wanted to try and do the european mount myself. I am from South Eastern Idaho. Any info would be great. Thanks

Personally, I would avoid those beetles like the plague. They stink, can fly, and will most likely escape attacking all your other trophies.

I would boil it off, or let a professional handle it.

If you don't want to use beetles...you can boil it with some soda ash in with the water....makes the meat turn to a gel that you can blast off with a water hose under good pressure. Taxidermy supply places call it Sal Soda.....works good. Just don't boil it too long, that will makes it be chalky after it dries.

I'm with 4000fps.....stay away from the beetles. I have used them. The stench is awful and it stays in the shop for ever. I moved them outside and the neighbors and my wife complained about the stink. The little devils are a pain in the butt to maintain and frankly boiling with sal-soda is quicker and cleaner and better for removing grease! Just my opinion.
Paul
"Nice Rack" Taxidermy

Stay away from the beetles! Get 'em once and have them forever. They will not only clean your skull but the hair off your mounts as well. Very tough to get rid of.

Good old boiling with sal soda and a grease buster, then you can get a hair bleaching kit from a beauty supple shop to whiten the skull . you will be very happy with the results.
shawn

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom