Anyone see the wolf near North Powder last weekend?

robinsg61le

We were glassing some geese near North Powder last Sunday and glasssed a wolf! We were no more that 1.5 miles from the interstate!

I've already heard the "you were seeing a big cyote" speech and that's BS. I've shot many, many, cyotes over the years and never thought I saw a wolf before.

I have not seen it, but I run pack in camps up in the Elkhorns and saw 2 different sets of wolf tracks up there. Folks, wolves are here.....and I dont mind cougars, bears or wolves, BUT they have to be managed!!!

About 7 years ago a wolf was killed on I84 at North Powder. At the time it was 1 of the 3 confirmed sightings that ODFW would acknowledge. Those wolves have really expanded their range in a relatively short time.

What I dont understand, is why does the ODFW stick their head in the sand? Dont they understand, with the wolves added to the POOR management of bears and cougars, they will soon be out of a job?? US SPORTSMEN pay their wages with lic and tag purchases. With no game to manage, they will be looking elsewhere for a job. I travel alot, and NOBODY wants to hunt Oregon. Spike hunters running around at same time as trophy elk hunts? COME ON!!!! Elk & deer numbers dwindeling at an alarming rate....due to predation, and all they do is NOTHING?

I guess as long as we keep purchasing tags every year just because of the love of hunting and being with people we enjoy they are not going to change nothing as long as they are getting their money. Hunting in Oregon has turned into more of a camping trip and every once in awhile you come across a animal. This is real sad because Oregon can produce good animals if allowed to. Have a good day!!

Oregon has some great animals! I guide in Oregon, and we take trophies every year, BUT its getting tougher each year. ODFW is not about managing the wildlife.

Hey BluMtn,

How long do you think it will take the wolves to knock out all those big bulls. I'm guessing you better plan on getting that once in a life time tag up there in a bout 3-5 years, 'cause those elk will start dissapearing fast. The only trophy unit we have for elk will soon be like the rest of this poorly managed state...when and how will the ODFW wake up?

I have to agree with the big coyote falling over theory. At 500yds, it is really hard to tell, 'cause I've seen some big coyotes!

HK

LAST EDITED ON Feb-12-09 AT 07:11PM (MST)[p]Calling Oregon hunting a "glorified camping trip" is one of the best characterizations I've heard in awhile... very, very, true.

It's funny, growing up in Oregon, and learning to hunt big game over the past 15 years, I've heard many times "it's not about your success, it's the experience and just getting out in the wild." It wasn't until I began hunting other states that I realized that us Oregonians have to talk that way or we'll disapoint our children too much.

We have hunted with some family friends in Wyoming, and the attititude toward young hunters and hunting in general is much different... While it's always the goal to enjoy the "wild" persuing a trophy animal is a way of life and a reasonably attainable goal... in Oregon it is not. If you want to teach your son to enjoy hunting, he needs to truly enjoy "just getting out," becuase, odds are, he'll be doing a lot of just that.

If you want to teach your son/daughter anything at all about chasing trophy animals, you have to plan on taking them out state. I know the guides and firefighters :) get to scout all fall take some decent animals, but those of us who are teachers and thus weekend hunters are pretty much at the mercy of luck.

Alright, enough venting... happy Oregon hunting... see you Wyoming for 09!

Well don't worry about saying Oregon has a trophy unit anymore. The wolves that were in the Wenaha last summer and fall stayed. I was told by ODFW that the pair are still in there. There is also a pair in the Imnaha as well. It doesn't even make me want to go camping anymore. With the great management of the forest service we won't even be able to drive off the paved roads. No animal, camping next to a paved road with traffic going by all night long, no animals to look at, watching it at home is the closest were going to get to hunting in Oregon.

Back
Top Bottom