Anyone shoot a 6.5-06 or 6mm-06???

DBLung

I've been thinking of converting my old .270 into a 6.5-06 or 6mm-06. Anyone have any experience? Pro's / Con's? I have a Ruger M77 that I would like to re-barrel for a suppressor. Thinking I might change calibers while I'm at it.

I shoot a 240 Wby mag, which is essentially a 6mm-06. Itś lights out on deer and antelope! Have whacked quite a few cow elk with it, too.

A good friend shot a 6mm-06 for years as his serious deer/antelope rifle. Built a couple of them, and never complained about the extra steps to make brass or reload. Smokin' fast loads of about 3200 with a 90-100 gr bullet. Eventually went to the 6mm-284, which had a little better accuracy for his Hi-Power matches.

There is an interesting article in this month's Petersons about re-barreling a 270 to a faster rate of twist. The benefit is it stabilizes the newer bullets for hand loading, which allows for more velocity. It also allows for shooting standard 270 ammo, which is a plus. I don't reload, but if I did, the ability to use factory ammo in a bind would be a plus.

I think it's Petersons. The mag is upstairs and I'm too lazy to go get it! :LOL: If you're interested, and can't find it, I can send it to you.

Both are a great choice. Use 25-06 brass and run it through your sizing die. No fire forming required. Whichever you choose be sure to twist it fast enough to shoot heavy bullets IMO.

After a bit more research I'm leaning toward the 6.5RPM. The things holding me back are all the .270 brass that I could've necked down for the 6.5-06, and I can't find where they offer dies yet. Midway doesn't show anything.

Now if you can get an RPM reamer/go gauge, reloading dies and then find the proprietary brass you'll be good to go. The advertised velocities which they list are within a few FPS of the real-world speeds I'm getting with my 6.5x280AI. It should be great if it all comes together for you.
To stay more traditional, check out 6.5-06 A-Square dies for the 6.5-06.
With all that said, nothing is easy to find and obtain right now so regardless of the direction you take, be prepare for delays.
Zeke

After a bit more research I'm leaning toward the 6.5RPM. The things holding me back are all the .270 brass that I could've necked down for the 6.5-06, and I can't find where they offer dies yet. Midway doesn't show anything.
A friend of mine has the 6.5-06 and think he had to do a custom/special order for his dies. Ran around $120 or so.

I got my dies from sportsman's warehouse. They also had brass sitting on the shelves, only kind they had, so there is an advantage to shooting an oddball. Weatherby also sells once fired for $1 each or less.

Zeke is getting exceptional velocity out of his 6.5-06, typical for that cartridge would be about 100 fps slower. IIRC, 6-5.06 ai is about 71 gr case capacity? I think the RPM is 81 ish.

The last 6.5-06 I put together would push a 156EOL@3000 and a 140@3130 with mild recoil and easy feeding. Dies for a 6.5-06 are easily obtained also.

I had a hankering for a 6.5-06 years ago.

After looking at alternatives, including easily available factory offerings, I got over it.

And that's coming from a guy that once had a rifle built because I found a set of reamers at $20 off for a cartridge that I didn't have so bought them and had a rifle built around them, so I was no stranger to doing crazy things!

You can get factory dies for the 6.5-06; I've been trying to decide between a 6.5-06 or a 6.5-06 A.I.; I used to shoot a 6.5rum but that was a little overkill.

I have a 6.5x280ai. I neck down factory Nosler 280ai brass. I ordered a set of custom dies from Hornady. I have no problems with reloading. Shooting 3150 with 150 Bergers. 27" barrel

I shoot a 6.5 x 280AI....which is close to the 6.5-06 but just a little more.
FWIW: I shoot the Berger Elite hunter in 140gr at 3130 fps and the 124 Hammer at 3240 fps.

Zeke
You want to sell any of those Elite Hunters?

1617508790774.png

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom