Anyone shoot PRS

marley

Very Active Member
With two kids now moved out and two at home still I’m finding myself with more time. Jumping into the prs competition. It’s something I’ve always thought I would enjoy. I’m super competitive so it might just piss me off shooting with guys that have been doing it their whole life but I’ll try to enjoy it.

New build: Ty with Flatline Precision is building me a 6bra. Foundation Genesis 2 stock, Krieger 1.25” barrel at 24”, Triggertech diamond, Impact Precision 737 Action, NF NX8 4x32. Should sit around 23 lbs.

I don’t know much about it, but we have a handful of guys that hunt with us in Mexico that are really into it. Those guys can shoot! I think it’s great for hunters because it forces you to learn to shoot well in a variety of different positions.

I agree but I also wonder what it will be like shooting all summer long with a boat anchor of a rifle to an 8 lb rifle

I agree that it looks like it would be good training. The heavy rifle would be a problem. If you use the rifle you would be hunting with then it would really pay off with all of the positions and rounds you go through before hunting season. The rifle would imprint on you very well.

I look into it a lot and there’s one position I just can’t do, that’s shooting from the right side. My eye won’t let me do it and it would be total failure. I can’t tell if that’s standard for PRS or just the local competition I watched on YouTube.

I live in an area where I would have to go at least an hour and a half away to compete in pre amateur matches.

They do have a hunting style competition where your rifle can’t weigh more than 12 lbs I think.

That’s a lot of it. Spotting your hits for adjustments is huge so use smaller calibers with little recoil and heavy rifles. Also a heavy rifle is easier to settle into your platform and rest. Lessens the effect of a lot of minor user error like trigger pull, breathing, heart beat etc. I’m brand new to this so this is just what I’ve read.

good choice of cartridge, I have been shooting a 6BR for years and the BRA version, like the dasher and BRX, are very accurate and really don't give up much, if any, speed to the larger case 243 and 6mm creedmoor, and use alot less powder .. ce61

That’s a lot of it. Spotting your hits for adjustments is huge so use smaller calibers with little recoil and heavy rifles. Also a heavy rifle is easier to settle into your platform and rest. Lessens the effect of a lot of minor user error like trigger pull, breathing, heart beat etc. I’m brand new to this so this is just what I’ve read.
Keep in mind that a lightweight hunting setup will never compete for hits on target compared to your heavy built setup. You’re on the right path with your caliber and heavy build. I competed in the early stages of PRS steel matches. I hunt with heavy rifles - they aren’t fun to pack. Probability of hits are higher on animals is also the case- JMO.

The heavy barrel and less powder combine for lower speed deviations and less barrel heat as multiple rounds are fired = more hits on target. There’s a reason the 6mm heavy builds are the top performers in the steel and paper matches. You have what sounds to be an amazing combo.

Can you guys that shoot PRS tell me more about the ambi switch off where you shoot both right and left handed? I see it a lot, but not every time. I’m wondering if it’s a normal part of the shooting competitions or shows up at random. I would like to try this competition out, but it won’t work if I have to do that on every match.

The stock hasn’t been bedded yet and shooting brass that hasn’t been fireformed yet and this is the first 5 shots down the barrel. I never realized how fun it is to shoot a heavy rifle like this. It anchors on target. 23 lbs as it sits now.
IMG_2044.jpeg

IMG_2056.jpeg

Mils is what the vast majority of guys are using therefore sharing wind calls etc is not as easy with moa.
I looked into this more and you are right. 90% of the shooters use MRAD so I just ordered a Nightforce ATACR 7-35x56 in mils.

Can you guys that shoot PRS tell me more about the ambi switch off where you shoot both right and left handed? I see it a lot, but not every time. I’m wondering if it’s a normal part of the shooting competitions or shows up at random. I would like to try this competition out, but it won’t work if I have to do that on every match.
I wish I could answer this for you. I have zero experience so I have no idea how often this is done in a match.

I would say maybe 1 out of 5 matches they might make you shoot from your weak side for a few shots. It just depends on the match director.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom