Anyone use a travois to pack out an elk?

GoHigher

A Travois for Dragging Game, Use Physics to Pack Your Deer Out (backcountrychronicles.com)

Me and my daughter packed out an elk a few weeks ago using pack frames. It took 3 round trips. I don't mind doing so, but it certainly takes its toll. I stumbled on this article a few days ago and wondered if anyone has experience with this. Seems like it could be a great method if the terrain allows. Maybe it could cut the number of trips down to 1 or 2 or make a solo pack out more manageable. I packed out a late season small bull solo and swore I would never do that again!

I got This ePack in June 2020 and used it quite a bit this last fall packing out after boning off the meat

IMG_5272 (1).jpg

Dang Big I too have used the plastic snow sled. Works great and close to springtime is a good time to find them on sale.

Dang Big I too have used the plastic snow sled. Works great and close to springtime is a good time to find them on sale.
It surprises me how well they work and not to heavy to get back to a kill site. I put a 4’ 3” dowel on the pull rope so 2 guys can easily pull if you have even a slight grade it’s pretty slick

I heading up to RCL with the GF Chris if ya wanna swing up and visit.

It's my turn to treat $$ for dinner at FGL.

I've put the tire chain on as I'm going Remote Yote hunting up there and taking all my chit on the e-Pack

Robb

IMG_6368.jpg

Hey Robb- I tried one of these E bikes at the Expo, can you tell us more about it after your trip, or Evan maybe a video on bad terrain

Hawk--- I have found that it's like anything else ya use from backpacking a load of meat out to using llama's or this e-Pack.

Use it smart and be aware of your limitations and the 'Gadgetry' you are using.

Don't put yourself in a no win position.

Robb

It’s really quite amazing, it climbed out of that hole in the snow. I could see the e-pack being very useful.

Nope, haven't really considered it as it seems like too much work. If we are a LONG way from the truck, then boning out and backpacking always gets the nod. For easier terrain, flat ground or gentle terrain, closed logging roads, or any snow at all - the two different size Jet Sleds (1 person) or the 2 wheeled cart are used. The cart is amazing for Kansas WIHA's where the cultivated properties have roads around them, but you can't take vehicles!!

528221C4-EF7D-4F04-B619-8586679B7A04_1_201_a.jpeg

9089738E-6739-468F-9A47-6321BD4499C0.jpeg

11331ECF-87DC-4151-90AC-89863932EE46.jpeg

Thanks man

I even added a wheel brake after all these years for going down steep stuff

Sorry for the late response, I've been out of town.

Robb

If you have a little snow, a plastic snow sled work great. We quartered and hauled out a 6X7 elk last year with one, all in one load. Just be careful not to get hit in the butt going down hill. I got nailed with the elk's nose and bruised my tail bone and gouged some hide off the back of my leg on the front of the sled. The wound is just now getting healed

Ice sleds work good for this time of the year. Other times we use a one wheeled game cart. Fits on a single track. Our horses or mules to pack out. When those don’t work we put them on our backs. A good pack frame works well. That thing you got a picture of looks like it would get stuck between the trees in or part of the country.

EF62CFEB-3B32-42C6-A816-6EE7C9AAF32D.png

Thanks man

I even added a wheel brake after all these years for going down steep stuff

Sorry for the late response, I've been out of town.

Robb
Hey Gadgetman Robb,
I'd bet you have a good supply of bailing twine...just in case!;)

Pretty cool stuff right there!

I’ve found the easiest way to retrieve a dead elk is to hunt them where you can drive the pickup right up to them. Or throw them on a horse and walk out. Nothing in between is acceptable in my eyes. ???
I agree I have gotten so i really don’t shoot many elk more then 300 yards of the truck

+1 Blank

Sometime the ole reliable is the best to use for getting your harvest out.

I still use my mid-wheel Mule cart and Freighter backpack to get de-boned meat off the mountain.

High Uinta's/North Slope cow elk in 1 load.

Robb

View attachment 22313
Is your game cart the same as mine ? Except you bent the handles up on one side ? This one wheeled cart came from some old timer that made them in Colorado. It uses a trail 90 rim and tire with a drum brake. We have to be prepared with many ways to pack out. If the horse’s are to far away and you need to get game off the mountain. Every so often you may get lucky and find one close to the truck. But don’t count on it ! I have been eyeing one off those pack wheels. ????

563883E0-8391-4AA6-ADD3-58D1175E5E04.jpeg

Yes this is a complete spike elk in the game cart.

Last edited:
I heading up to RCL with the GF Chris if ya wanna swing up and visit.

It's my turn to treat $$ for dinner at FGL.

I've put the tire chain on as I'm going Remote Yote hunting up there and taking all my chit on the e-Pack

Robb

View attachment 22102
Girlfriend?
Don’t forget to pack your turtleneck. Ha!

The best way to pack out is to have friends with horses. ??? Every hunting season I think I need to get a horse. Then after the season is over. I am glad I don’t own one or two. We will see if I slip some day. But my daughter has horses and my next door neighbor at the cabin has a pasture full. So I am good I think. ?

8076DFE5-96D7-41C5-9740-A1F1902047F7.png

B946EF15-96B2-4F98-A2E0-D6DF29FE41AA.jpeg

No Sir bj, mine is a lot smaller and 1 person can handle it.

I saw the one like your pic years ago in like Bugle mag advertising them but I think M T they weight like 100 lbs but could handle a heck of a lot more pack out weight than mine, although to much for 1 person.

Mine is hand made in the back shop under $100.00 to fabricate.

B-Yoda I went with the Rust color for this trip! haha (joke from over on the bowsite fella's)

Robb

The joke was after I shared this pic of me up in the Jackson Hole cabin that I wasn't hunting elk I was chasing Snow Bunnies Babes! Turtle Neck gig------->

Robb

IMG_6051.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom