Application Mayhem!

huntmor2

So the Portal is an absolute disaster. Spent hours on the phone with an IT guy at game and fish linking my families aps to my account which was supposed to simplify the process. Well now I cant apply through the portal and Game and Fish tell me not to use the portal. So I go old school and buy licenses individually from the main website. Then to make matters worse when I entered all my hunt applications I accidentally used all our expired licenses from last year. Jeez! And I cant get anyone on the phone to tell me what I need to do. Arizona Game and Fish need to get their act together. Anyone know if the system will recognize that we have current licenses?

Also, since I didnt use the portal to purchase licenses and apply for hunts, there is no way to log in and see a history of what was purchased or applied for. I read somewhere that it will eventually update but......

I called the Kingman office and got right through. I waited over an hour on main line but the outlying offices have been awesome! It has been a troubled transfer and I hope the new system gets better.

I'm having issues as well. My customer account says I have no bonus points and that I didn't participate in any prior draws....

Even if you use the Portal to apply, the system won't show your apps. Not yet for this draw anyway. Their IT dept continues to struggle. Just praying the draw eventually goes off without a hitch.

I applied two weeks ago, without incident, and everything worked perfectly. The Portal app did not update until this morning, but shows all correct applications. There seems to be a two week delay in updating, but I was assured that the application process is separate and not having any issues. If you apply and get a confirmation email, everything is good!

Well I wasnt able to use the portal to buy licenses or apply. And when i did the applications it asks for your license number. And like a fool i put our expiring license numbers for all 6 family members. Fingers crossed that it corrects itself because i was never able to get game and fish on the phone again.

If you bought the new license online, the application system will know you have a new license and you will be fine. It'll show up on the portal eventually. The app computer doesn't actually check the license date against the draw close date anyway.

Last edited:
or if your old license is still active Feb 9 you are good. I spent over 2 hrs on the line with them.......they are frustrated too...
I laugh inside...a little...at the guys waiting until Monday or tuesday...I bet the AZGFD will extend the deadline..

Page 4 - "
  1. Deadline dates may be extended in the event of a Department-related system failure that prevents the public from submitting an application within the deadlines listed above. The online system slow down due to heavy traffic is not considered a Department-related system failure and may not result in a deadline extension. Applicants are encouraged to apply early to avoid the last minute rush.

I still haven’t gotten a confirmation email, but they did take my money

I had to call and verify that my 11yr old app went through as well. They resent his confirmation but not mine ?

So how bad do ya'll think point surge will be this year?
I burned my deer points last year but still chasing the curve on elk ?

So the Portal is an absolute disaster. Spent hours on the phone with an IT guy at game and fish linking my families aps to my account which was supposed to simplify the process. Well now I cant apply through the portal and Game and Fish tell me not to use the portal. So I go old school and buy licenses individually from the main website. Then to make matters worse when I entered all my hunt applications I accidentally used all our expired licenses from last year. Jeez! And I cant get anyone on the phone to tell me what I need to do. Arizona Game and Fish need to get their act together. Anyone know if the system will recognize that we have current licenses?
Email Kristy Sanchez
EMAIL. [email protected]
5000 W. Carefree Highway, Phoenix, AZ 85086 . I had the same problem and she fixed it for me.

I was running scared the system was going to crash as the 2/9 deadline approached so I went on-line last night and did a group app consisting of my son and myself for elk and then individual apps for pronghorn for each of us.

I had previously transitioned to the new portal accounts when the e-mails were received in December. Our licenses were still good through Feb 9th and the license field populated with the correct license numbers. Although I usually buy new licenses now since we will need them for the deer and sheep draw later this year I decided not to tempt fate and buy new ones at this time.

The only issue I had was that the street address field had added an old apartment # to the end of my son’s house address and the system would not let me correct it and would give me an error message. I left it as-is and entered it correctly in the mailing address fields.

Other than that, it went pretty smoothly for me and I immediately received e-mail confirmations for the three applications.

Good luck everyone!

Horniac

So how bad do ya'll think point surge will be this year?
I burned my deer points last year but still chasing the curve on elk ?
Several podcasts I have listened to have recommended doing points only this year due to the AZ drought conditions for those applicants sitting on lots of elk points if they want maximum antler growth and fewer unbroken bulls on their hunt.

I’m thinking maybe those top tier hunts at or near max points won’t creep as bad as they wait for a better moisture/archery dates year and do points only but then perhaps others at mid and lower points levels will see it as an opportunity to snag a tag and go for it.

Bottom line who knows, but the trend in every western state has been tags are becoming harder and harder for NR to draw or obtain...

Horniac

If this new computer system eats a bunch of applications this year then creep may pause a little. I sure wouldn't wish that on anyone though.

I have an old coworker who's made a living for decades hooking into databases with custom, live input and reporting capabilities. This portal would have been cake.

Every year a few days before the AZ draw closes, the posts with the portal problems really pick up! Hopefully AZG&F makes it better. Still checking my portal to see if my application from Jan 24th shows up. Still not there, but at least my points haven't disappeared! :D
Yes, the e-mail confirmation shows up almost immediately, but not the portal update.

Definitely been a mess this year, I got a random call from a guy letting me know my 12 year old son and all his information was attached to his portal account somehow. It took them a few days, but they finally got it fixed. We got everything submitted and it has been smooth sailing since, fingers crossed

I'm 1 of those guys sitting on 25 NR elk points. I'll take my chances of not waiting another year to draw a tag. There will still be some great bulls around.

I had some issues...
But thank goodness I contacted someone last week! When I linked my son to my account, it created a duplicate account, and didn’t merge is previous history to my account?
I was fortunate to get one of there top notch employees (actual AZ employee), and they got it straightened out pretty quick!
This is one of the common issues they have been having. I’m sure it was something I did, but didn’t realize it???
Anyway...
My portal isn’t showing our applications for this year either, but I feel good with my receipt, and email.
Good luck to everyone this year!!!

I didn't have any issues buying a license or applying, on January 24th. The app finally showed up today. Woo Hoo!

Although I had the e-mail receipt, it's still good to finally see it in the portal.

I applied on Jan 27th. My license now shows and my points are all in order. Still no application showing but I'm not concerned as I have my app receipt.
My app is just a longshot anyway ?

Is there any way to modify an app when its been entered?
I made a mistake and applied for a late archery hunt instead of the early archery for my second choice by accident. I'd spend 13 points for a 6 point tag and was super bummed when I saw the email the next morning :(

I called them and they said that changing your application is NOT an option this year. I did select the point guard, but I'm also exploring the option of putting in a bad credit card number to prevent me from drawing. My first choice is only 0.4% chance so I'm not too worried about missing the chance I might have had at that tag.

Wish I could confirm in writing somewhere that I'd keep my loyalty point and my point for this year if my credit card bounces. If anyone has a link for where the actual rule for bounced credit cards is written, I'd make sure a cold one showed up on your door step :)

Wish I had better news for you swampokie

Cheers, Pete

Page 8 of the regs is pretty specific about an invalid application being rejected will result in no bonus point being awarded. If it happens in a group app, ALL are rejected. Since the computer will not let you put in an invalid application anymore, I would think the only way it would be rejected now would be for a "insufficient funds" reason. Personally, I would not risk it and losing a loyalty point for the next 5 years would suck!!!

Well it’s
I made a mistake and applied for a late archery hunt instead of the early archery for my second choice by accident. I'd spend 13 points for a 6 point tag and was super bummed when I saw the email the next morning :(

I called them and they said that changing your application is NOT an option this year. I did select the point guard, but I'm also exploring the option of putting in a bad credit card number to prevent me from drawing. My first choice is only 0.4% chance so I'm not too worried about missing the chance I might have had at that tag.

Wish I could confirm in writing somewhere that I'd keep my loyalty point and my point for this year if my credit card bounces. If anyone has a link for where the actual rule for bounced credit cards is written, I'd make sure a cold one showed up on your door step :)

Wish I had better news for you swampokie

Cheers, Pete
not that bad I just put in for a little less desirable hunt than I later discovered. I’ll purchase point guard and put a few$ toward a damn overhaul in this screwed up system

Your app fee paid for the point.

"O. The Department shall award a bonus point for the appropriate species to an applicant when the payment submitted is less than the required fees, but is sufficient to cover the application fee and, when applicable, license fee.

Point Guard is for the surrender of a tag so I don’t think it even enters into it. You’ll just get bounced from the draw.

"A bonus point is an accumulated credit that authorizes the department to issue an applicant additional computer-generated random numbers during a draw. An applicant accumulates a bonus point each year in which he or she submits a valid application and does not draw a hunt permit-tag. PointGuard ensures that if a successful applicant is unable to participate in a hunt for any reason, the accumulated bonus points that were expended to draw that hunt permit-tag will be reinstated."

Last edited:
The way I understand Point Guard is you can decide NOT to hunt and return the tag, but you are still charged for it. I'm not 100% sure but that's how I understand it.

Based on WB's post, if you use PG and return the tag, you do not earn a bonus point for this year. Then again, I'm not 100% sure, but it is one of those questions you might not know to ask if you call the G&F.

Copied from WB's post: An applicant accumulates a bonus point each year in which he or she submits a valid application and does not draw a hunt permit-tag.

If he draws then returns the tag and uses point guard, they will issue a point and keep his tag money.
If a person applies and doesn’t draw, they get a point because the app fee is also the point fee.

In the paper app days a bounced check resulted in no point because you didn’t cover the app/point fee.

If he draws then returns the tag and uses point guard, they will issue a point and keep his tag money.
If a person applies and doesn’t draw, they get a point because the app fee is also the point fee.

In the paper app days a bounced check resulted in no point because you didn’t cover the app/point fee.
Thanks @WapitiBob !!!
Cheers, Pete

I hear dominion is running the draw.

I was thinking about the good old days of paper app’s. We didn’t trust the mail, so we would drive the couple hours down to greenway road to drop them off. Usually it was a car load of people all dropping off the app’s for their whole families. :)

Heck, I consider the paper apps the bad old days. Human error reading the hunt numbers and filling out, or human error reading it and human error input to even get in the system. That's why the rule about illegible apps being invalid and rejected is still in the regs too!!!

That was what worried me! They tried that at work, and with technical procedures and reports With a lot of numbers, the scanning couldn't tell the difference between ones with a little pointy roof, sloppy fours, and sevens with the European style slash across the leg. Drove the word processing people absolutely nuts trying to catch and fix all the mistakes. :)

I missed the AZ Elk/Antelope application period, first deadline I have missed in a decade. Was that the only opportunity I had to purchase bonus points for those species? Thanks.

Thanks guys, thought so. And to add salt to the wound, it was my sons last year as a youth tag holder (super cheap fees)...

Who waits until the last day or two to apply for anything and what are the advantages? I can think of about none.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom