Applying for deer

3TOE

Very Active Member
Can someone tell me when the application period will open to apply for deer this year? I can only find suggestions that it opens in May.
Have specific dates been set yet for the opening & closing for applying in the draw?
Thanks!

Hi. Just called Az. Game and Fish. Regs will be on-line in April, draw applications accepted in May, deadline is Second Tuesday in June (June 9). Best I could find, they didn't have specific dates yet. Good luck!

Much appreciated! Thanks for going out of your way to give them a call.
Good luck to you also!!!

Cool! ?? This will be my first year applying, so I had no clue & couldn’t find specific dates.
Here’s my opinion for what it’s worth.
If you want a Kaibab tag or a Strip tag you would be better off saving your money and buying raffle tickets or bidding on an auction tag. At your age and just starting in the points game you have better odds of being struck by lightning than ever drawing one of those tags in the regular draw.
If you’re good with hunting some other Muley units or a Coues then you may be able to draw one someday.
Best of luck to you.

Here’s my opinion for what it’s worth.
If you want a Kaibab tag or a Strip tag you would be better off saving your money and buying raffle tickets or bidding on an auction tag. At your age and just starting in the points game you have better odds of being struck by lightning than ever drawing one of those tags in the regular draw.
If you’re good with hunting some other Muley units or a Coues then you may be able to draw one someday.
Best of luck to you.
Thanks Buckhorn! I took our conversation to heart & sincerely appreciate your candor. This next year I will be changing how I go about my application selections in a few of the state’s. . As for AZ, I’m really only interested in a coues tag. I’m aware, it may take a few years to draw a decent tag, but I’m going to throw my hat in & try.
Thanks again!!! ??

Be prepared when you finally draw a Coues Tag--- they are extremely hard to see from a distance !!! They are indeed " the ghosts of the mountains". Or Desert Mountains.
Best of Luck ! Jerry Gold ? Ft Collins, Colorado

You can hunt Coues deer every year.....with a bow and arrow.
I have a group of a friends that talked about doing the OTC archery hunt. I still want to start acquiring points for a rifle hunt down the road.

Be prepared when you finally draw a Coues Tag--- they are extremely hard to see from a distance !!! They are indeed " the ghosts of the mountains". Or Desert Mountains.
Best of Luck ! Jerry Gold ? Ft Collins, Colorado
Thanks! That is honestly the allure of them for me. I’ve heard & read that they are tough to hunt.

I have 21 NR points but if I was just starting out my plan would be to try and draw 2 Archery Kaibab tags in a 10 year period. That’s what I will do as soon as I draw my late rifle tag.

Isn’t the true Strip 13A and 13B? I was always under the impression that 12B was considered part of the Kaibab???

Copy that BOHNTR

On that note I did reread abiggerfishtofry’s post and I think what he meant was that there is always hope to draw with low points numbers. I think he just used his Kaibab draw as an example to not give up on the Strip as there is always a chance no matter how small it may be.

Copy that BOHNTR

On that note I did reread abiggerfishtofry’s post and I think what he meant was that there is always hope to draw with low points numbers. I think he just used his Kaibab draw as an example to not give up on the Strip as there is always a chance no matter how small it may be.

You’re probably spot on! ?

I’ve gathered that it all really depends on exactly how each state goes about their draw process.
After a good bit of research & talking with buckhorn one day, I concluded that UT is completely messed up with how they operate their system.
At least with AZ you do stand a shot at drawing, even if the odds are super low. I’m fine with that & that is fair...

I’ve gathered that it all really depends on exactly how each state goes about their draw process.
After a good bit of research & talking with buckhorn one day, I concluded that UT is completely messed up with how they operate their system.
At least with AZ you do stand a shot at drawing, even if the odds are super low. I’m fine with that & that is fair...

3TOE,

I'm not sure what you mean about UT's draw. I drew a LE archery elk hunt with 5 pts. It was taking approx 14 pts back then to draw the tag.

2014-08-30 22.23.46.jpg

3TOE,
That is not correct info with regard to Utah’s draw. 50% of Utah’s tags for a given unit/species go to high point holders, and 50% go random so you actually do stand a chance of drawing in Utah every time you put your name in the draw, albeit with low odds in a lot of cases. As I always say, your odds are always 0% if your name isn’t in the hat. I drew a once in a lifetime Moose tag in Utah in 2000 with 0 points, and my brother drew a Book Cliffs archery elk tag with 0 points.

I drew a LE pronghorn tag in Utah last year with 2 points. It was the only non res tag available. Best goat hunt I’ve ever been on.

Hello 3Toe. Arizona deer regulations are available online at azgfd.gov/draw. Good luck!!
Thanks SlowElk! I was literally telling my wife an hour ago that I needed to go online & check on AZ’s regs and application dates. Much appreciated! ??

No for reals.

I also drew a NR Utah mountain goat tag with 2 points, the NM Valle Vidal elk tag the first time applying, a Boulder mountain elk tag with 11 points, a NV 111-115 archery elk tag with 11 points, and a Henry’s Bison tag with 13.

No for reals.

I also drew a NR Utah mountain goat tag with 2 points, the NM Valle Vidal elk tag the first time applying, a Boulder mountain elk tag with 11 points, a NV 111-115 archery elk tag with 11 points, and a Henry’s Bison tag with 13.
Yes I know your a lucky son of a gun.
I remember seeing your Henry’s Deer it’s Awesome.

No for reals.

So let’s see your Henry mtn buck ?

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom