Archer Help for Son

toolmann

I posted this in the archer forum...but figured this might be better since it's Colorado specific.

Alright fellas (and ladies), I'm needing a little help here. I don't shoot a bow, but my 15 year old has been for about a year and a half. We did his first archery hunt last season for deer. It was a blast, but we couldn't close the distance. One issue we have is...I can't teach him how to shoot better with a bow. He is shooting a Diamond Infinite Edge. At 15 yards, he's great. 20 yards starts to open up a bit, and after that, it gets ugly. I gave him a 25 yard MAX range for his hunt this past season, just to be ethical.

I'm wondering if there is anyone who is qualified that wouldn't mind spending an hour or so with a young man trying to get better. He shoots almost everyday in the summer. We have a 3D target in our back yard, and can go behind the house for more range. We're in Parker, CO. I can't pay much, but could compensate a little if needed. I also joined Ben Lomond Gun Club in Kiowa, so if any of you archer guys go there, we could always meet up there as well.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

TM

If I was closer I would love to help! i am in Rifle and if your ever over this way let me know!

I will suggest checking out a different forum! Bowsite.com has a Colorado section and the site itself is filled with incredible people willing to help! I know for a fact that there will be people there who are willing to help!

Have you also checked with the local 4H club? Most of the time the 4H coaches are really good!

Archery come down to consistency and repetition. Doing everything over and over and over. Of course good form and having a bow tumed are key items!

Definitely go to bowsite.com

Some archery shops have very affordable "basic training" available at their indoor ranges - even if you didn't buy the bow there. They will start with making sure everything fits him properly and then go into proper aiming and shooting form. He has probably developed some bad habits that an archery pro can help with. Once he gets the basics squared away, he will shoot MUCH better and enjoy the sport a lot more.

Has he shot threw paper at close range and had his bow tuned by a shop? Could make all the difference. Then it's just practice,practice, practice....muscle memory.

I would bring him to No Limits archery. It is right off I70, they have a bow shop and indoor range to shoot at. They usually have a league shoot a few times a week and there would be a whole range full of guys willing to help you son out I am sure.

You'll see that'll make all the difference toolman. And like D9 says, when the shop employees are tunein yer sons bow and watchin him shoot, they'll be giving suggestions on his form and do's and don'ts. Then the other guys shootin will over hear what's goin on and they'll watch him shoot after his bows tuned and offer advice. This will be inexpensive and a huge improvement in his shooting. Hope to hear a follow up after the shop visit.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom