Archery 66a and 76?

muleyczy

LAST EDITED ON May-19-09 AT 08:48AM (MST)[p]Ive got an archery tag for unit's 66a and 76, suposed to be a great unit for a nice elk. Has anyone had any luck in the past? I typically hunt in 75 and we saw our frst wolves last year, have they impacted the Elk herd in 66a and 76 like the herds up north? Im also looking for a packer in that area, that would be willing to pack out, (if need be) if anyone has any contact info. Thanks.

5 years ago was the last time I hunted in 66a, it used to be a fun hunt with 300 plus bulls around. But the fish & Game tripled the permits, the last time I was in there, all we seen was ragehorns and pinheads. They have taken a great fun hunt, and turned it into raghorn hunt.

The unit has gone down hill really bad over the last couple years. They took away around 400 total rifle tags this year. It's not like it use to be. They still bugle though, unlike high density wolf country elk.

last year was terrible, in those units. not many archery elk killed or seen , thats the reports I got. I hunted the unit next to them and killed a elk but was very bad, weather , rut , not sure what was going on. Good luck to you maybe this will be the year they get with it.

Last year was terrible, i also hunted a nearby unit and i only saw three bulls all season, never being fortunate enough to take one though.

Does anyone know a good reputable packer, outfitter ect. that could do a drop camp in unit 66a?

We have hunted it quite a bit- last few years have been really tough. Only two bulls were ever seen all hunt. Last year the entire hunt was silent in our area. Not too sure about wolves yet- just give it some time though. We did find a radio collar hanging from a tree- aparently there WAS at least one wolf around.

Seems to be more and more people every year too.

I've bowhunted 66a quite a bit. I've killed four bulls in that unit. Most of the time we would come in the McCoy Creek side and hike in. When we shot a bull, we would hike out and drive around to the Jacknife side and stop at Haderly Outfitters along the Jacknife road. You can't miss the sign to his place. He would help us pack out our elk. He was a very nice guy.
We quit hunting that unit because of all the pressure, four-f'in-wheelers and wolves. I don't think there were very many wolves back then but we did see sign.
The last few years we moved across the pond to 67. Very few roads and less people.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom