Archery Advice

stillwaitin

Hey guys, will be hunting deer with my bow this year. Haven't hunted archery in a few years and when I did it was pretty limited. I have been shooting s much as possible and feel pretty comfortable but still need to keep practicing. I was just wondering what tips or pointers you guys might have for a new archery hunter.

Practice , practice , practice ! Bow hunting can be a very rewarding experience , but can be very frustrating as well . Get out there , blow a few stalks , don't get discouraged and try to learn from your mistakes .

Sounds like you already have your gear. Hopefully you considered the new technology stuff like small diameter arrows, Blazer vanes and a small diameter cut on contact broadhead....that will make your time hunting much more rewarding....you will get about 8 inches less drop in arrow flight at 50 yds with that setup over the older set ups fatter arrows and 4 in. Vanes .

))))------->

When you shoot remember to follow through and watch your pin through the shot to target it will help you on shots 50yds and longer.

<--------(((( :)

Definitely practice. My wife has recently taken up archery and she shoots with me everyday. I'm always talking to her about how important it is to be consistent, have good form, etc.
Also, shooting broadheads before going afield, practice shooting sitting down, practice holding your draw an extra 10 seconds before releasing, practice guessing distance to target, etc.
It's really something you never master, you just keep learning and getting better the more you do it.

I will say, once I went to better gear, my shooting improved a lot. I'm glad I spent the $1200 for my setup.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
Will you LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook! I need a friend....

my only 2 cents to add to this is !!! IF u can practice with the broad heads u will be hunting with shoot them & Only them all season long buy replacement blades or extra broad heads !!

Old school: Don't get caught up in all the materialistic commercial BS. Some of the best bowhunters I know are hunting with traditional equipment made by their own hands. You can't buy your way into being a successful bowhunter. That fancy $1200 tech don't mean squat if you don't get to shoot it.

Enjoy being out there.

Slow down. Stop. Be quiet.

Take a camera because otherwise, nobody will believe the stories you'll have to tell.

Success is in the stalk. With a rifle, the hunt ends when you find the animal. With a bow, the hunt begins when you find the animal.

Pay attention and your learning curve will go vertical.

Be safe. Have fun.

All good advice.
My one piece of advice would be Double Distance Practice. If you plan on shooting at an animal at 40 yards you should be able to keep your arrows on a target at 80. Shooting extended distance will show you the flaws in your form and set-up. It will also make shorter distances seem really close, and it will boost your confidence. Besides, it's fun to watch your arrow travel that far and hit it's mark. Good luck this year!

Thanks a lot guys, that is all great advice and I will try to take it all in out hunting this weekend. It is coming fast so I need to keep fine tuning and hopefully we can find some bucks. Thanks a bunch guys!

There is a lot of great advice here. One thing I would add is to practice judging distance. Anywhere you go that you can carry a rangefinder pick out something try and guess the distance to it and then check it with the rangefinder. The more you do this the better you'll get at it. Rangefinders are awesome and by all means use them if you can but being able to make a quick estamate of distance in a pinch can make all the differance.

Thanks for all of the great advice guys. We had a great hunt, I didn't bring home a buck; in fact I only drew back once. But it was some of the most fun I have had on a deer hunt. It worked out like some of you said: a few blown stalks, a few mess ups by me or others, and a lot of just glassing and enjoy watching bucks in their element. I have never seen as many bucks while hunting a general unit so it was still a successful hunt in my eyes. I could have taken a couple shots but they weren't shots I was comfortable with so I decided to pass and wait for another day.
Now I will look forward to the extended and see if we can turn up anything on that.
Thanks again guys!

The most important thing I learned and immediately became more successful is waiting for the shot to come to you, such as waiting for a bedded deer to stand up or waiting for the deer to feed to you. Those who force the issue in an effort to get a shot usually have stories instead of dead game. The other thing some people will continually try to convince you of is you have to shoot this or that, such as 600 grains of arrow or this particular broadhead. I feel everything on the market is excellent, if you find your 350 grain target setup is what you're most comfortable with put an 85 grain broadhead on and go hunt, you will still have ample energy to accomplish the task. Shoot what you have confidence in because bow hunting is more of a mind game than an equipment game.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-26-14 AT 08:03AM (MST)[p]>Success is in the stalk.
>With a rifle, the hunt
>ends when you find the
>animal. With a bow,
>the hunt begins when you
>find the animal.

Amen to that. So true. That's why I love bow hunting.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom