Archery Antelope Tag Structure Changes

DownThePipe

Starting 2021 archery antelope hunters will have to choose their archery unit and apply for the hunt first choice i.e. no more putting in for a rifle hunt 1st choice then drawing archery as an automatic backup. How will this affect the any weapon odds? Anybody done any math and want to guess? Are you okay with this?

From IDFG:
In a major statewide change for pronghorn hunters, the Commission approved changing unlimited archery controlled hunts for pronghorn into first-choice only hunts. Wildlife managers proposed the change in response to steadily increasing numbers of archery pronghorn hunters over the past 10 years and an effort to reduce hunter numbers in these controlled hunts. Going hand-in-hand with that change, the Commission also approved the reorganization of pronghorn units into 10 hunt areas for first-choice only controlled archery hunts.

Any weapons odds are going to be even lower. And people will still be fighting over the same waterhole during archery and complaining that there's to many people. And some will say we need a point system. Oh and I don't like this idea at all

Love the idea. Finally there doing something about the unlimited numbers. One of the things I wrote in the season structure changes was changing archery antelope! It’s been out of hand the last 2-3 years IMO. I see more archery antelope hunters than when I go elk hunting. It’s not like Idaho has the same antelope numbers as WY. The herds have been way down the last 4 years or so. Fawn recruitment has been terrible. Good stuff the F&G is at least in part listening now. Of course NR don’t get to make recommendations lol ?
Matt

I support the concept, but I think only time will tell how effective it really is. The reality is that there aren't that many antelope or waterholes, but the concept may reduce some hunter congestion in popular spots and increase odds slightly for a few years.

I will be putting in for an archery hunt as opposed to a rifle hunt.

My hope is that it raises the draw odds for those of us that don't archery hunt and only have 4% draw odds to get a rifle tag.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom