Archery Beaver or Pavhant?

V

velvet28

I am sure this has been posted before, but just wanted some input from some people that have hunted these areas in the last couple years. I know they always say to stick to where you know best, wich would be the pavhant for me, but the last couple years from hunting the pavhant, and talking to some friends, and a wildlife biologist, have gotten me nervous for an archery hunt on the pavhant. I haven't seen as many big bulls as prior years down there, and some friends are saying Beaver.(i have 12 points, and pretty close to drawing the pavhant, and 100% on the Beaver.). Any information on your past experiences would be appreciated on both these units. I know the pavhant real well on the north end, and I am not looking for specific locations, as I am not afraid to get to know the Beaver and put some time and miles on the unit. Just wanting to know how it was for you. Also would like to know if you have hunted both units, wich one did you feel was more archery friendly. Thank you

With 12 points ! I dont think I would do archery for ether of those units. Hold out for a rifle tag. The archery can be a tough hunt. It changes from year to year . I guess what are you looking for. You can have a good time on ether unit. It also fun to learn a new unit. I try to draw a cow tag to leard a new unit over a trophy bull tag. But with all of your points draw that tag and have a good time.

Stick with the area you know best otherwise you will spend most of your scouting trips getting to know the lay of the land. If you draw a tag in an area you know you can just focus on finding that once in a lifetime trophy. I just checked DWR stats and with 12 points you still have a really good chance at drawing next year with probably drawing for sure the next. Already knowing a unit is a HUGE advantage.

I was in your exact situation last year velvet.. I ended up putting in and drawing the archery pahvant tag this year. I knew very little about the area. Getting to know a new unit is part of the excitement of a LE hunt. Don't let a new area to you scare you off. My summer memories of being on the mountain finding the elk was priceless. Don't let anyone talk you out of doing an archery hunt if thats what your feeling. There is no better way to hunt elk then with a bow. It's the toughest thing you will ever do mentally and physically but the excitement of getting close to the big boys will keep you going. I was in 350+ bulls every single day, the fun part and the challenge was to close the distance. I ended up taking a 5x5 on the last day instead of eating my tag. It's not the trophy I chased all summer and during the hunt, but it is an awesome reminder of the amazing time I had trying to get close to those big boys. If you need any info I will gladly share my guts out.

Me and a friend decieded to cash in our 12 points in 2010 on the pahvant archery. We both have archery hunted for a combined 50 plus years and have taken some great animals over that time. We both would agree that of all the hunts we have been on that our pahvant hunt was the best by far. Had opportunities every day. Spent a little time scouting but spent alot of time during the hunt. It was awesome to watch the rut intensify day by day. Could not believe the number of bulls we saw. We killed a 6x6 and a 7x7 that both scored just under 370 each. If you love to bow hunt, you can't go wrong spending those 12 points on the pahvant. Having never hunted the beaver I can't comment on it. Knowing that this was likely the only time in our life we would have a legitimate chance at 350 plus bulls with our bow pushed us over the edge to apply for the archery tag. hope this helped.

Thanks for the comments, and input. Bigjohnt, i guess what i am mainly looking for is a fun hunt, with some good experiences. I just wanted to see how people have done in the past. I have hunted the pavhant for deer the last 8 years, but am just a little stressed this year since i have 12 points. I would rather shoot a 315 with my bow then a 340 with my rifle if that helps with what i am after. Don't get me wrong, I would love to shoot the biggest bull on the mountain just like any other guy, but to me personally I think 315 is a great bull with a bow. I will set standards much higher than that, and would hold off for a while depending on what we are seeing, but in the end would be happy with that. I am wanting to have fun and chase bulls. Two years ago on my dad's san juan hunt, he shot a great bull that he was happy with, but i can honestly say i wouldn't do it again. It was a 7 hour drive for us to get there, and we didnt scout it much because of the drive. We didn't spend a lot of time on the unit, and I dont have a lot of great memories from that hunt, other than killing a good bull opening day. Sure it was great to get a good bull, but to me the hunt would be more enjoyable to scout it for 6 weeks in a row, and chase bulls, and have close calls. Something you can look back on, and have good memories.

It sounds like you have a good atitude and should have a good time on ether unit. I was hoping not to here " i want a 400 bull" Which i am not saying dont go out there and find a 400 bull. We all want to find the best or biggest bull on the mountain. But we know thats not what its all about.
My son cashed in his 9 points last year for a archery tag on a le unit. We had a great time and he got close to the biggest bulls he has ever seen in his life. Eighteen yards from a 380 bull. But the cows where in the way and no shot.Then missing a down hill shot on a 340 bull at 20 yards . He had to move last minute and left his range finder on the ground. He maybe could have pushed a little more and tagged out ,but he came home and ate tag soup. We found out later that he had graves disease . That made it a little tougher on him. But we had no idea until a few months after his hunt.
My other son has 10 points and wants to hold out for a rifle tag. So thats the other side of the coin. Good luck to you !!

Well its now the year 2020 and I know this thread is a little old but I am in the same dilemma as velvet28. I applied for Beaver Archery this year and didn't draw. I had 14 points going into the draw. After looking at the numbers a little closer I realized I am couple years out for a guaranteed tag on the Beaver if all variables hold true and the same people who are ahead of me continue to apply for it. I now have 15 points and they feel like they are burning a hole in my pocket. I want to archery hunt one of these two units next year somehow. Its looking like my odds are better to draw Fillmore because they give more tags out. My question is would I regret burning points in Fillmore or should I suck it up and hold out for Beaver? Seems like Beaver is more exclusive but not sure if its worth waiting another 2-3 years to draw. It is on my mind because I plan on visiting one or both of these units during this year's hunt to get a flavor of quantity and quality of elk herds there to help me make my decision. I have hunted with family on both units but just not sure what to do and which unit is producing right now? Any advise?

Pahvant is not what it use to be but still a great unit I have helped several people down there and have always seen big bulls, its big country but can be a hunt of a lifetime

The unit has been hit hard by over hunting and spike tags, but still a few big bulls to be found. A 350 bull probably shouldn't be passed, unless you find a bigger one close by. Its still very popular with a big named outfitter thinking they own every big bull by the early rifle.

I would expect there to be an increase in point creep the next couple years due to the dates rolling back. I know a guy that is applying for beaver archery next year that has 19 points. What every you expect on years to draw your tag I would add 1-2 years to account for point creep. Espically with only 4 bonus tags it wont take many people jumping in to bump you out.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. I agree the point creep always seems worse than what you account for. It makes me wonder if I should look at other units so I don't get caught in the never ending point game. Especially if all the rifle and muzzle guys with 19 + points cut bait and and gobble up all the bonus tags.

Hey guys I’m at 12 elk points so I’m still a few years off but I’m looking at the Filmore, Beaver, and Monroe units for archery elk. I‘d like to start scouting and planning though. Everybody wants to talk about the bulls in those units but I’m wondering if there are major differences relating to the terrain, access, and what kind of pressure I can expect from similar tag holders or deer hunters, etc. I‘d like to get deep in the unit away from the crowds. Thanks for any tips.

All 3 are great units - Beaver is probably top of those 3 from a quality perspective. Monroe access and terrain is probably the easiest to navigate, Beaver can be very thick and nasty in some areas. The Pahvant is steep and deep in most areas (southern part of the unit is a bit easier to get around in).

I drew Pahvant muzzleloader last year and had an amazing hunt, but I wouldn't hesitate with any of those 3. Biggest thing with the archery tag are the dates - the later the better obviously (this year is the latest the dates will be ending on Sept 17th)

Thanks for the tips. I would have expected Monroe to be less crowded given that it is further away from the I-15 corridor, towards the less populated part of the state. If I narrow it down to Filmore and Beaver, the latter is two additional points to draw than Filmore, so I’ll probably apply Filmore for now. There is also the Book Cliffs roadless which I’ve heard is a great hunt for getting into wilderness areas but I don’t have horses, I think I could draw that tag this year I think with 12 points.

Harvest odds are out for 2020-1 archery tag holder out of 13 killed a bull last year on the Pahvant??

Not great odds, but having hunted it last year and having scouted a bunch during the bowhunt I know how dry and hot it was with little bugling or rut activity, and the hunt ending on Sept 11th didn’t help at all. Very tough conditions to kill a bull with a bow. This year should be better with later dates.

I was surprised at the harvest odds on the rifle hunts as well, thought more people would have killed. Some guys might have been holding out too.

Wow 8.3% harvest success for Filmore archery elk unit last year, that is rough stuff for a tag that took 14 years to draw...

The dry hot conditions were tough but other units had similar weather and harvest rates were much higher. I am sure the six additional days in the season will help for this year, but it does make me think about things a bit... The Filmore unit seems to have harvest odds that yo-yo up and down.

Wow 8.3% harvest success for Filmore archery elk unit last year, that is rough stuff for a tag that took 14 years to draw...

The dry hot conditions were tough but other units had similar weather and harvest rates were much higher. I am sure the six additional days in the season will help for this year, but it does make me think about things a bit... The Filmore unit seems to have harvest odds that yo-yo up and down.

Honestly-the unit is steep and deep and most aren’t willing or simply can’t hunt it effectively to get to the elk. The elk are there-maybe not the size of bulls that used to be on the unit, but there are good bulls to be had.

I have 21 N/R points.

Probably going to try and draw next year with 22.

The fact is, I might have waited too long.

I’m 65 with some health issues.

Not bad, but I’m not the young buck I used to be.

I have spent some time on Pavhant and Monroe decades ago.

I will probably go for early rifle on one of those.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom