Archery Desert Lope Adventure

elks96

Long Time Member
Last year was my fist year with a WY lope tag in hand. The hunt was the cash in of 13 nonresident points. With the season structure I began hunting on Aug. 15th and held out until the very end of the season killing my lope at last light on the last day, October 31st. Reflecting on that hunt it was a blast but also turned into a monotonous grind. Bucks all started to look the same, etc. After looking for a truly exceptional buck I shot the biggest one I could see at last light.

This year as a resident I drew the same area. Scouting showed up a few of the same bucks from last year. But I really did not scout much at all. Sunday the 15th th3 season opened. I had a new water hole I found with massive amounts of action. I was stuck at home for the opener (yard work).

So the second weekend arrived. On Thursday night we loaded the new to us camper up for our first trip out. (I will pause to say, this... For the last 20 years I have slept on the ground, in the truck bed under the stars, in the back seat of my truck, etc.) Have a camper is insanely nice...
red sun.jpg

Of course this last week the rains finally came. When we arrived to the unit the road in was muddy, there were puddles all over. The awesome water hole was not so awesome. We set up camp and took a trip to pull our trail camera cards. It was a sad state of affairs. The deer in the area have absolutely tanked. Numbers all way down, mature bucks nonexistent etc. In all we had no great bucks on camera and only a couple legal bucks.
hit list.jpg

Friday night ended with me not even getting my bow out of its case. But we did find a couple bucks that we named. Saturday we started out in the truck, still water around but it was drying up in some areas pretty fast (higher sandy areas). If it kept up Sunday would be a great day to sit the hole. Sunday morning we explored the area and ended up with a "hit list of bucks". Buster (a buck I passed on last year), Vader, Jesse, Hooker, Wish (wished he was on the other side of the fence), and Christopher.

So early morning I wake up and head out to do my business. Always nicer to be outside. It was chili and wet still from the rains. Sun was just barely up. I wander up to the sand dune behind our camp and find the spot. Look around and squat down. As I wrap up the work, I look over in the bush on my right and coiled up 3' away is this guy. Luckily he was cold and luckily my business was already done... He was one of 4 we would see this weekend...
morning business.jpg

At lunch we decided to explore way out into the desert into places where I have not explored despite being out there for over 15 years. Talk about a world away. We spent the day alone with out seeing another person, driving old 2 tracks that were water washes more than roads. Hours from the nearest paved roads...
way out.jpg

Our
way out 2.jpg
adventure eventually lead us to an old fort that was used and built by the military and eventually served as a stage stop on overland trail. The Rock house(s) were built with no windows and were occupied year round. Cant imagine how miserable a rock building with open windows would have been in WY winters...
fort 3.jpg
fort 2.jpg
overland trail.jpg

Saturday night we were back around camp. We found one of my target bucks bedded in a perfect spot for a stalk. My son and I drove past snuck back. At 18 yards I went to full draw. Hoping the buck would stand. Like usual the buck teleported from his bed to a full sprint at 60 yards in the blink of an eye. Not a bad first stalk.

The weather was still dry winds were up a bit and even more water had disappeared. We set up the blind on the water while fighting a solid 20 mph. But clear skies had the hopes up.

Dinner that night was centered around an intense game of uno. K-bobs, chips, brauts...

uno and kbob.jpg
Life in the camper is nice, almost too nice. The alarm was set for 4:00 am so we could have plenty of time to hit the blind. Weather said 10% chance of rain that night. At midnight the rain hit hard and the wind blew enough to shake the camper and force me to pull in the side. So the rest of the night was the same, high winds, thunder lightning, and rain... Needless to say at first light we slept, convinced the blind was victim to wind and rain.
Sun rise.jpg

Too wet.jpg

We made our way out to the blind about an hour into day light. Just down the road from camp we had a named target buck bedded in a great spot for a stalk. Buster was the buck I passed early on last year with my bow. We made a move and soon were crawling into position above him at 24 yards. I can see his horn tops, but not his body off the slope. I draw my bow out of sight, and slowly stand up. My son rolling the video at my side as the buck does the same thing, teleports from 0-80 mph. (I have a new plan on how to avoid this issue in the future)... He is gone but a fun start to the day.
blind setup.jpg
issue in the future)... He is gone but a fun start to the day.
incredible blind.jpg

We arrive at the water hole after glassing bucks and fighting the muddy roads. The blind was alive, and intact. My son makes the call to sit the blind and wait, after an hour without a lope in sight he calls it and says we need to hunt. So we head out into the desert to explore and find drive by bucks... In our adventure we found a hell of a mule deer buck, but he is only a 2x2 clean. Seriously a monster with a sway back, pot belly, boarding 30" wide and taller than any buck I have killed. With the current rules he is not legal for me to kill, but maybe I can convince my daughter to hunt for him. He was all alone in the middle of no where... I really really dislike the point restrictions.

We were running out of time, when we came around a corner and found 3 bucks feeding on a sand dune. I was able to pull up just under them and get out of the truck without being seen. I sneak up 40 yards from the truck to the largest buck in the 3. He is covered by a geasewood and I am at 40 yards and able to draw. I draw as he turns and steps out. As soon as his vitals are clear I settle my pin on the spot and let it fly in a split second. I do not see my arrow in flight but I hear the whack of a hit and watch as the buck explodes out of sight. I run up to see what happens. There were bucks running in every direction, 7 of them in all leaving the immediate area. But none seem to be hurt and none seem sick. We get back to the scene of the shot. Locate his tracks in the damp hard sand. Where he was standing no hair no blood no arrow. We look for the arrow for 30 minutes for the arrow before taking up the track... 25 yards in, no blood and all the tracks from the bucks seem to merge in a small flat. We look at one track for a ways no blood, back to the merge, follow another and just about 30 yards in we finally find a little drop of blood. Not heavy blood, no clot, etc. But blood. We know which track to follow. The blood was still really light but the fresh wet sand made the track easy to see. The track was obviously hauling and not slowing. The only place there was more than small drops was where the lope rubbed/ran over taller brush. But no clots etc.

We are getting an hour after the shot, the trail is now over 100 yards and we keep going slow trying to spot the buck bedded in the dune etc. We rounds a corner and find the buck piled up. Such a huge relief as I really had no idea where the arrow hit, or where the arrow was...
son was happy.jpg

The shot was 3" above the heart a perfect left to right location and center punched both lungs. Lopes are amazing animals.
down.jpg

We took a couple quick snaps with the camera and got to the wet work. We had the 4 quarter pulled the back straps neck meat and loins loaded into my pack after 4 minutes. Removed the head and were back to the truck in another 30 minutes. Got the meat on ice, and went back to find the arrow.

The arrow was found over 40 yards behind the lope in a sand bank. It was 4" deep into the went sand bank.

Father son lope.jpg

My sons reward was some windshield time on the way back to camp...
Drive Time.jpg

Now THAT sounds like a fun and successful trip!
I came through the area last Wednesday night and it was a soggy mess on the Freeway!
Well done Elks96!!!
Zeke

Now THAT sounds like a fun and successful trip!
I came through the area last Wednesday night and it was a soggy mess on the Freeway!
Well done Elks96!!!
Zeke
Yeah it got a lot of rain down that way last week. It rained hard Saturday night as well. It was a fun weekend.

Okay Elks---first off, congrats on another adventure with your kid. But, went you talked about going to the can, and wrote "chili" and talked about "coiled," I thought about so many poop references.

Okay Elks---first off, congrats on another adventure with your kid. But, went you talked about going to the can, and wrote "chili" and talked about "coiled," I thought about so many poop references.
Yeah there is a lot that could emerge from for those 5 minutes of light on saTURDay. Luckily I was not sack tapped in that ordeal.

Last edited:
Love the story and the windshield time, I used to let my son drive me on the dirt roads as that is how my Dad trained me.
I love my new trailer as well it may make me a little more softer LOL as that bed is awfully comfortable

Love the story and the windshield time, I used to let my son drive me on the dirt roads as that is how my Dad trained me.
I love my new trailer as well it may make me a little more softer LOL as that bed is awfully comfortable
It is nice for sure, afraid it might be tempting to stay in for too long too often...

Congrats ELks! We will be out in 55 in a few weeks, hope we have some good luck and a great hunt like you did! We have 3 tags, my wife, son, and me so it should be a fun time!
55 is a little weird. There is a nice chunk of state and a walking area. When we hunted it, we found a lot more lopes on the walkin area because they have a few developed water sources. The truth is the later you can go in 55 the more lopes there are as they migrate in...

What a great story and quality time with family...nothing can compare to what you experienced...you both will remember the entire trip for the rest of your life. If we have more people spend time like this with their kids I don't think we would have the issues that we see with the younger generation today.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom