Archery Elk 10 or 61

archery01

I have 19 elk points and wondering if its worth 3 more years to wait for unit 10. I hunted deer in 61 last year and seen lots of elk and a couple decent ones but not sure if 10 is worth the wait?

LAST EDITED ON Feb-05-14 AT 02:10PM (MST)[p]What are your goals or expectations? 61 can be a great archery hunt. Lots of bulls and a great opportunity to harvest a bull in the 280-320 class. Don't get me wrong there are bulls every year that are harvested in 61 that exceed the classes I listed but majority of the bulls are in that class. I personally like 10 better but thats just my opinion. Primarily because I've spent much more time in 10 and I believe the bull quality is better. If your chomping at the bit to burn the points this year I'd say go ahead and burn them on 61 and have fun. If I were in your shoes I'd bank a point this year and go spend some time 10. (if you havent already) A fair portion of my family has drawn tags in 10 and all have been successful in taking good bulls.

Coloradoboy

Thanks Coloradoboy. I'm not too worried about shooting a 360 plus but I have already harvested a 330 with my bow and was hoping to try to get something as big or maybe a little bigger. When I was in 61 last year I only seen a couple bulls around 330-340 mark all of the rest i seen were just like you said, 280-320, and a whole lot of 5pts. Anything over 300 to me is big with a bow but would like to have the opportunity to get one bigger than 330.

In my opinion 330 plus is alot more realistic in unit 10. But with that being said Im no expert on unit 61, I can only go off of what I've seen in the time I've spent in the unit and information from friends who've hunted it. PM me your email and I will shoot you some pictures of some of the bulls we've photographed and harvested in unit 10.

Coloradoboy

I agree, 330 seems to be about as big as a guy can expect to get in 61...they shoot bigger but you can't count on it. I don't know 10, good luck.

Unit 10 is definitely worth the wait! You will be in for a hunt of a lifetime!!! However, I suspect you will be the victim of point creep... In three more years it will probably take over 25 non-res points to draw the premium NW corners units. I suggest you contact Kent w/ Blue Mountain Outfitters and get his opinion (801) 562-1802...

Best of luck to ya!!!

Thats a long time to wait to hunt any unit!!! I like 61, I have never hunted unit 10 . I hunted 61 4 years ago during the archery season and had the best hunt ever.... feel free to email me with any question about 61 I spend a lot of time up there in the fall.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom