Archery Elk Hunt (Utah)

Lil_Fish

I am getting excited for my old man. He is almost 60 and has an archery elk tag. We have spotted hard and have seen some awesome bulls. My favorite bull is not huge but has some great character with devil points and a wave to his main beam. My old man is not going to be picky though. He said this would most likely be his last bull hunt and is going to take a branch antlered bull. This is the third time he has drawn this tag and he has been successful the two times before with both being six points. Good luck to all the archery hunters starting this weekend and may your arrows fly straight. I will be sitting up here in Idaho wishing I was down there with you all. I am going to be joining my dad on the last week of the hunt if he hasn't harvested by then.

Best of luck to you and especially your dad. I hope you get down there in time to experience it all with him
I have been on his last two bull hunts when he harvested and with his age and health my brothers and I split up the hunt my little brother is with him first, then my older brother, and then me. So we will see how it goes. He is shooting well out to 40 yards and he won't shoot past that, never has. I will post pics when he is successful.

Looks like pops has got some good company for the next few weeks. No doubt he will get it done. Can’t wait to see the pics???

Well dad has been hunting hard. At least 4- 6 days a week. He has seen a few bulls and had one at 72 yards but not close enough. He has seen a lot of animals. Not a lot sounding off yet but that will come within the next week i am sure. I have another week before I am able to go down and help him out and I can't wait.

It has come to my week to go hunting with dad. He is a little discouraged but is doing good. He has seen a lot of elk. The bulls just won't give him a shot. This week it is supposed to cool down on Tuesday so hopefully the bulls will get more active. The bulls are sounding off but my brothers have not seen any bulls with cows yet. Hopefully this will be the week. I will keep you all posted.

This is prime time right here. Cool down coming and bulls still without cows. That is a key advantage, when they start looking for cows. No better time to do some good cow call work. Good luck.

The archery elk hunt was tough this year. I helped a friend on the Wasatch and we saw plenty of elk but we battled the hot dry weather and the full moon. By the time the weather cooled down, the hunt was all but over. It was definitely tougher than what we experienced in prior years.

Hawkeye

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom