Archery Elk - Owens Valley or Hunter Liggett

ChubbyTuna

Wanted to get some opinions on each hunt as I have max elk points as a resident. Both offered 3 tags (2 max, 1 random) but OV had 112 max point applicants while FHL only had 25 max applicants. Why? Application numbers have been about the same the last 3 years. My odds of drawing a tag against 25 guys is way better than against 112. I've heard that access to the FHL can get screwed up sometimes but is there another reason?

I have a goal of shooting the triple crown (Tule, Rosie and Rocky Mountain) with my bow and at 51 years old I'm not looking to stay in the game another 15 years. I've hunted both areas but wanted to see what others thought of these 2 herds.

Thanks in advance. Joe

The FHL archery hunt can be a great hunt. It can also get canceled or the dates moved according to the base operations and what training they have going. Also some zones might be open while others can be closed.
There are some amazing bulls on FHL though.

I had the 449 tag this year and as mentioned above there are positives and negatives with FHL.
If you are fortunate enough to get the correct season (end of July/beginning of August) you will have the best hunt of your life aside from a sheep hunt. There are great bulls on the base and there is more than enough room for 6 hunters (3 military and 3 civilian).
However, the season can be shifted as it was this past year. The hunt took place in October which was post-rut and the elk were wary and pressured from the roughly 2 months of rutting. Calls were ineffective and getting close was tough. Average shots with bow were 100 yards with the farthest being 112 yards. Sure, enough practice it’s a doable shot but not much fun for an archery hunt.
All things considered, if you want to draw and use archery FHL is a safe bet. OV is the “go-to” for those not willing to risk FHL. But from my experience FHL is better all around. The elk are fairly concentrated to specific units and the Wildlife Biologist, Jim, is more than willing to assist each hunter in finding the elk.
Repost in this thread or PM me in June if you draw FHL and I’ll give you the scoop on where to get a trophy bull. I was there this PSY weekend hunting and know where all the herds are concentrated for now and I know where they were when I hunted them in October.
Bull from last year’s hunt and a pig from this past weekend.

914B72D9-18E1-4F59-98ED-6B0B2CAAA157.jpeg

B147EA04-8C45-453E-9A0B-8779C27050A7.jpeg

I accompanied a lucky hunter when he drew the Owen's Valley Open Zone Archery Tag a couple of years back. Great hunt. Easy to locate bulls...they were in full on rut...and, this novice caller was able to draw in several bulls in one afternoon. Be wary of guides that operate in this area...although they are knowledgeable about the elk and their whereabouts, you really don't need their services if you posses a fair amount of skill.

Something to consider though...an arrowed bull can travel a good distance, even with a well placed shot. These elk are often located adjacent to large expanses of flooded tule/cattail thickets. It is not inconceivable to lose a bull on this hunt.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom