Archery Elk - Unit 40 - Mike Lawson

muleymaddness

Very Active Member
I was looking for some first hand experiences with Mike Lawson during archery elk season. I've heard nothing but great things about Mike, but it's never anything specific and I don't even know that the guys talking so highly have even gone with him.

All I really got from the guys I spoke with who actually hunted with him was the same "it was great, he runs a solid show..." Blah blah. All was the same answer basically which to me one of the few red flags.

Sounds like a canned response from prepared references.
I guess I’ve heard the same thing from people who were not listed references. I think it’s a good operation. I have the points to draw it and have said this on other threads, I don’t think the bulls they kill are worth the money AND the points so it’s not for me but it might be for some guys. I talked to him once and he didn’t claim that they kill X size of bull or anything just that they have a good success rate and good land. I see guys on here claiming they kill giant bulls in there which I haven’t seen to be true based on the pics I see but Inthink it’s a solid place to kill a 290-330 bull

I don't know jack about the outfitter or the unit. But when every reference is exactly the same response, almost word for word, that's a red flag while researching any outfitter in any unit.

I don't know jack about the outfitter or the unit. But when every reference is exactly the same response, almost word for word, that's a red flag while researching any outfitter in any unit.
You really think outfitters coach hunters on what to say? I can guarantee they use the happy ones as references but I’m guessing Mike isn’t give them a script to read off of.

I’m not talking about specific responses for references he provides - I was just talking about general word on the street. You mention Lawson, everyone says the same thing. My question, have they even been with him, or is that just what they heard?

You really think outfitters coach hunters on what to say? I can guarantee they use the happy ones as references but I’m guessing Mike isn’t give them a script to read off of.
I know for a fact some shady outfitters use their friends as references and tell them what to say to potential clients. The world is full of crooks, hopefully not the outfitter OP is thinking of using.

I haven't archery hunted elk with him but I hunted third rifle elk in 2015 and third rifle deer in 2019.

I have hunted with around 20 outfitters in the last 25 years and he is one the best ones I have ever hunted with.

An example is the last time I was there he had a third season rifle elk father and son that had paid for a 2 hunters per 1 guide. The first thing Mike did was give each one of them a guide. He then sent other guides out to scout for them. I know this to be true because I killed my deer the first morning and I was in the Suburban with them.

He has guides that have been with him for several years. You really can't have repeat elk hunters in Unit 40 but he has deer hunters that have been there every year since before 2015 by buying landowner tags.

Does Mike's property have bigger elk than the other private land in Unit 40? Probably not, elk don't know where property lines are go where they want.

I sent him an email checking on a potential elk hunt for my wife. He personally called me back in less than a day. My wife ended up wanting a remodeled kitchen more but I was seriously impressed.

From what I've gathered, I bet that he's probably a no-frills guy that just gets it done day in and day out. I bet he doesn't get excited when an elk goes down because that's just what is expected - just another day. People always recommend him because they know the expectation and experience never changes - it's always good. I've never heard a single negative comment, but never heard a full hunt report from a past hunter.

I ran into a WY resident last year that hunted with him a couple of times both deer and elk from what I recall. Nothing but positive accolades regarding him and his outfit.

I‘m supposed to hunt muzzy elk with him this year if I draw the tag. I think he is just an old school rancher/outfitter. Uses paper carbon copy contracts and the like.

He’s been outfitting since 1988 which speaks volumes in and of itself. He has been on my radar for over 15 years and I have never seen or heard anything bad about him or his operation.

The couple of times I talked to him he seemed to be a straight shooter on the size of bulls they kill. I believe the biggest they have ever shot on his property was in the low 380’s and he told me the biggest they killed last year was 340...

Horniac

Lots of good information here about Mike. I have archery hunted with him once and it's been a long time ago like probably 14 years. Here is what I can say. Lots of elk/bulls, Mike is a great guy, I chose to pass on multiple 290 bulls and missed one 320 and a 300 on the last day. Those were my misses not his, he did his job. Only saw one or two bulls over the 330 mark. The only bad things I would say is that each morning we didn't know what guide we would be placed with. I would say that 50% of my hunt Mike was my guide and other 50% was rotated between two or three other guides. I didn't really mind this as they were all fairly knowledgeable and great people. Bunk house I slept in was pretty bare bones but again I was fine with it and was the only one in it for half my hunt. I would hunt with him again for sure except he is out of my price range now plus I don't do guided hunts. This is the only one I'd ever been on because I prefer DYI since I grew up in elk country. I didn't realize at the time "due to some bad info from magazines, they've corrected it now." the unit is dominated by private property so when I drew the tag I decided to give it a try. Overall if you're looking for a good hunt with lots of bulls, great people, good food, but pretty bare accommodations and an outside chance at something bigger than 330 but real good chance at 300 to 320 then it's a great place. However, again that was quite a while ago. Good Luck to you.

Can the next successful person who hunts with him please tell him it’s time to mix up the trophy photos. A whacked off head with the shooter holding it out like a 16” walleye at arms length back at camp is a piss poor way to take pics on a guided hunt in todays world. Just my opinion.

I'm not saying that Mike doesn't run a great outfit, all I was stating was my opinion on what I heard. The references from the outfitter I'm using had very detailed things to say about their hunts, to where those i spoke with whom hunted with Mike were closely the same. Not saying they were reheared or anything, just there wasn't much diversity between each hunters story it seemed. Maybe because he does the same thing almost with each hunter???? Maybe that's just how their hunts honestly went??? I'm not sure.

I do personally know one of Mike's guides extremely well as I grew Up with and went to school and was best friends with his younger brother. I know that he is a damn fine hunter and I've seen evidence of his success as a guide through Mike as well. I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with Mike if I weren't already booked with another guide.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom