Archery Elk

Onthehoof

I am excited to be going on my first archery elk hunt this year. I purchased the archers choice tag, but plan and hope to spend most of my time in the Panguitch unit for the spike/cow tag. I am hoping to learn how bow hunting works and be able to develop the skill so I can draw a bull tag some day. I have a few more years before I can apply for that tag. I drew a black powder tag for Panguitch in 2019 and it was the best! I am now fascinated with elk hunting! I have been shooting and shooting and feel like setting my limit to a max of 60 yards is probably a good idea. Any advice or cool stories about archery hunting?

Wiszard

Long Time Member
I wish you had more replies as I am just getting back into archery hunting and more so so I can hunt elk with a bow. I drew a Monroe bull elk tag last year and am hooked. Great idea to start learning elk via a cow/spike tag. Probably will have way more opportunities to be successful....and unsuccessful which is how we learn. :) I wish you luck!

Steve

Onthehoof

I wish you had more replies as I am just getting back into archery hunting and more so so I can hunt elk with a bow. I drew a Monroe bull elk tag last year and am hooked. Great idea to start learning elk via a cow/spike tag. Probably will have way more opportunities to be successful....and unsuccessful which is how we learn. :) I wish you luck!

Steve
Thanks Steve! I was a little embarrassed no one replied. I tried to figure out how to take the post down due to my hurt pride but I had to swallow it! Hahaha oh well. I got a cow on Thursday evening! It was so cool. I shot her not long before dark and finally found her around 9:45, she ran the wrong way. I took care of the meat that night and packed her out the next morning. It was awesome and I cannot stop thinking about it. I am hooked!

BOHNTR

Arrowing an elk at distances you could hit them with a rock is something you’ll never forget! Congratulations on your first elk with a bow……you’re hooked now.

Snoopdogg

Very Active Member
OTH, sorry you didn't get a lot of traffic on this thread, but honestly, when I read your post I took it as you were sharing your excitement of the upcoming hunt, not necessarily looking for info/feedback.

Congrats on your elk, mighty fine eating and plenty of it from your kill.

Wiszard

Long Time Member
Congrats on the cow elk....."she ran the wrong way". I laughed at that. Sometimes they just can't follow the way we intend things to happen...it's quite rude. LOL. Did you take pics? Post em up!!

Onthehoof

2AF15F77-C966-4E97-BD93-181D6BB22BC9.jpeg

91C5163D-488C-422E-8FE4-24FD77E0C5C2.jpeg

AE734FCD-AFF6-4FB0-9808-62B3DD970365.jpeg

Wiszard

Long Time Member
Atta baby! Over water? That grass makes me think there was water near. How about a story? Congrats!! That first pic is somewhat deceiving.....looks like that elk is standing up with her head in the trees. :)

Onthehoof

Atta baby! Over water? That grass makes me think there was water near. How about a story? Congrats!! That first pic is somewhat deceiving.....looks like that elk is standing up with her head in the trees. :)
Thanks! I actually had just hiked into an area with some springs and wallows in it (good eye on the grass!) about the same time the cow got there. She was a little spooked but I somehow cow called her back. She was a little over 60 yards away when I shot and she did not stick around. I shot a little forward, but had really good blood. I started trailing the blood as the sun set and had to use a flashlight towards the end of everything. She ran about 1/2 a mile into the trees and laid down on a hill and died. I took care of the meat and left it to pack out the next morning. Round trip was only 1-1/2 miles for taking the meat out, but I sure felt it the next day! Yeah, that picture does look like an elk standing there! I just took a quick picture once I found her, it was gonna be a long night!

Bigwiffy

Way to go On The Hooves. Put that bow away now and shoot a 6.5 Creedmore like a real man! Looks like a nice young cow, good eats. Did you keep the liver?

Onthehoof

Way to go On The Hooves. Put that bow away now and shoot a 6.5 Creedmore like a real man! Looks like a nice young cow, good eats. Did you keep the liver?
I did! It was my first time cooking elk liver. It was not bad, but I need practice with it. Hey I shot a 6.5 Creedmore once.... Thanks everyone. Hopefully you all get lucky too!

sage_mule

The only way to fry flour coated liver is in a ton of bacon grease with three parts onion to one part liver.:D Same with heart..

DeerHunter53

Very Active Member
I like it raw, straight out of the gut pile. Maybe some fresh sage on the side!
Is that like a Man thing to eat the liver raw? A little sage? I am always the one who asks if they took the liver or not, I will hike back up to get it...LOL
Most people throw it away can't understand that...

Bigwiffy

Is that like a Man thing to eat the liver raw? A little sage? I am always the one who asks if they took the liver or not, I will hike back up to get it...LOL
Most people throw it away can't understand that...
To everyone that doesn't eat the liver....... happy Mother's Day

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Top Bottom