Archery Elk

Onthehoof

I am excited to be going on my first archery elk hunt this year. I purchased the archers choice tag, but plan and hope to spend most of my time in the Panguitch unit for the spike/cow tag. I am hoping to learn how bow hunting works and be able to develop the skill so I can draw a bull tag some day. I have a few more years before I can apply for that tag. I drew a black powder tag for Panguitch in 2019 and it was the best! I am now fascinated with elk hunting! I have been shooting and shooting and feel like setting my limit to a max of 60 yards is probably a good idea. Any advice or cool stories about archery hunting?

I wish you had more replies as I am just getting back into archery hunting and more so so I can hunt elk with a bow. I drew a Monroe bull elk tag last year and am hooked. Great idea to start learning elk via a cow/spike tag. Probably will have way more opportunities to be successful....and unsuccessful which is how we learn. :) I wish you luck!

Steve

I wish you had more replies as I am just getting back into archery hunting and more so so I can hunt elk with a bow. I drew a Monroe bull elk tag last year and am hooked. Great idea to start learning elk via a cow/spike tag. Probably will have way more opportunities to be successful....and unsuccessful which is how we learn. :) I wish you luck!

Steve
Thanks Steve! I was a little embarrassed no one replied. I tried to figure out how to take the post down due to my hurt pride but I had to swallow it! Hahaha oh well. I got a cow on Thursday evening! It was so cool. I shot her not long before dark and finally found her around 9:45, she ran the wrong way. I took care of the meat that night and packed her out the next morning. It was awesome and I cannot stop thinking about it. I am hooked!

Arrowing an elk at distances you could hit them with a rock is something you’ll never forget! Congratulations on your first elk with a bow……you’re hooked now.

OTH, sorry you didn't get a lot of traffic on this thread, but honestly, when I read your post I took it as you were sharing your excitement of the upcoming hunt, not necessarily looking for info/feedback.

Congrats on your elk, mighty fine eating and plenty of it from your kill.

Congrats on the cow elk....."she ran the wrong way". I laughed at that. Sometimes they just can't follow the way we intend things to happen...it's quite rude. LOL. Did you take pics? Post em up!!

2AF15F77-C966-4E97-BD93-181D6BB22BC9.jpeg

91C5163D-488C-422E-8FE4-24FD77E0C5C2.jpeg

AE734FCD-AFF6-4FB0-9808-62B3DD970365.jpeg

Atta baby! Over water? That grass makes me think there was water near. How about a story? Congrats!! That first pic is somewhat deceiving.....looks like that elk is standing up with her head in the trees. :)

Atta baby! Over water? That grass makes me think there was water near. How about a story? Congrats!! That first pic is somewhat deceiving.....looks like that elk is standing up with her head in the trees. :)
Thanks! I actually had just hiked into an area with some springs and wallows in it (good eye on the grass!) about the same time the cow got there. She was a little spooked but I somehow cow called her back. She was a little over 60 yards away when I shot and she did not stick around. I shot a little forward, but had really good blood. I started trailing the blood as the sun set and had to use a flashlight towards the end of everything. She ran about 1/2 a mile into the trees and laid down on a hill and died. I took care of the meat and left it to pack out the next morning. Round trip was only 1-1/2 miles for taking the meat out, but I sure felt it the next day! Yeah, that picture does look like an elk standing there! I just took a quick picture once I found her, it was gonna be a long night!

Way to go On The Hooves. Put that bow away now and shoot a 6.5 Creedmore like a real man! Looks like a nice young cow, good eats. Did you keep the liver?

Way to go On The Hooves. Put that bow away now and shoot a 6.5 Creedmore like a real man! Looks like a nice young cow, good eats. Did you keep the liver?
I did! It was my first time cooking elk liver. It was not bad, but I need practice with it. Hey I shot a 6.5 Creedmore once.... Thanks everyone. Hopefully you all get lucky too!

The only way to fry flour coated liver is in a ton of bacon grease with three parts onion to one part liver.:D Same with heart..

I like it raw, straight out of the gut pile. Maybe some fresh sage on the side!
Is that like a Man thing to eat the liver raw? A little sage? I am always the one who asks if they took the liver or not, I will hike back up to get it...LOL
Most people throw it away can't understand that...

Is that like a Man thing to eat the liver raw? A little sage? I am always the one who asks if they took the liver or not, I will hike back up to get it...LOL
Most people throw it away can't understand that...
To everyone that doesn't eat the liver....... happy Mother's Day

Thanks guys! She sure has been tasty! I bought a used Mathews bow from TNT Archery down here in St. George. I like it, but this is the only bow I have ever owned, so I could just be easy to please.

Thanks guys! She sure has been tasty! I bought a used Mathews bow from TNT Archery down here in St. George. I like it, but this is the only bow I have ever owned, so I could just be easy to please.
TNT is great, Terry is an awesome guy. He has helped me figure out a bunch of things the past year or so. Mathews makes some quality stuff (that’s what I shoot)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom