Archery Hunting Elk In The Snake River Unit

M

MORRISON4375

Has anyone archery hunted or been sucesfull in the snake river unit. I have been there on a spring bear hunt and tagged along on rifle elk hunts and have seen some big bulls and alot of elk. Also the bear hunting is not bad either

Have hunted spring bear in the Snake three times. We always see LOTS of elk and some really nice bulls. My neighbor killed a 6'2" bear this past season on Cow creek. 17yrds, called him in with a cow call when he was about 240yrds away...he came charging!

We have packed in there for many years for archery and have done well...

muleyman

Muleyman 3 yrs ago we hunted off of haas ridge on the spring hunt and seen 11 all color phase not one was black being our first time there we did not know how to get on them but next time we should get a couple we talked to some guys hunting on horse creek that did real well using a fawn in distress. As far as elk I would love to archery hunt there but do you have to pack in to get into good hunting or is the easily acessible areas worth even trying I heard it gets hit pretty hard. Was your neighbors bear a color phase or black.

Phase in color, beautiful bear! He is getting the hide back soon from the taxi, I will post it.

The best places in the Snake are where you would need to pack in. There is a guide in La Grande that has drop camps available for a good price. Bob Staples from Blue Mountain Adventures is the guy. I think its about $1400 per person fully furnished camps, without the guide. $4K for a fully guided hunt.

We killed a bear on Haas ridge a few years ago. I was up there this summer with my brother and seen a few nice bear.

If you dont pack in, you will have see lots of hunters. One problem though is there are quite of few drop camps up there now even when you get in 10+ miles. In August we saw 4 camps already setup by outfitters all the way out to Lord Flats, three weeks before the season even started! If you know the area, and you can get into an area where there are no other camps, you will be successful. We saw three bulls this year that would go over 340. We didnt see one other hunter where we were. BUT its my secret spot ;)

muleyman

hey Bob, will I get a cut if he comes to you! J/K

I would love to get packed in but with work being so uncertain. Probably not this yr but I probably would bivy camp out if I can pull some of my hunting partners away from the roosevelts. I absolutly love that country and want to elk hunt it bad. How many bears did you see this last yr ? and what distress sounds work the best for you guys when you are calling at them ?

LAST EDITED ON Jan-03-09 AT 00:15AM (MST)[p]Jeremy,
Sure, you can get a cut, and maybe you will be the one guiding him if they book a hunt with me! Seriously though, I dont guide at all in Snake River country. My bear hunts take place in Keating-catherine cr-pine creek. My elk are ALL over, lol. Elkhorns, Starkey, Mt Emily, Walla Walla, Wenaha are my main elk areas. Anyhow, Hope everyone has a great 2009!

Bob Staples

Muleyman cant wait to see a picture of that bear. Like to hear a story about your hunt over there.

What part of the Snake are you interested in? The pressure will vary from year to year in that area. I have seen so many people that the hunting is pretty poor and then I have seen it pretty darn good. Just depends on what area you are looking at...

LAST EDITED ON Jan-07-09 AT 05:55PM (MST)[p]here is my spring bear from 2008
not huge, but I had pick of 25 bears in 4 days, and picked this 4 year old boar because of his color.
normal_DSC_0076.jpg

Back
Top Bottom