Archery Ibex question

Z

I feel I am an accomplished exotic sheep hunter. I grew up bowhunting free range mouflon and aoudad sheep in Texas on public land.

I am really comfortable with my bow out to 60 yards and am in pretty good shape.

Looking at the odds of drawing...it seems my chances would be better at a archery tag. My wife and I plan on moving(military) to NM so I can pursue my dreams at one because I have dreamed of hunting ibex for years.

How plausible is it to say one would be successful? I know the odds are stacked against me and I understand that. Research doesn't do crap unless you have first hand experience.

I would like to hear from you guys who are there, boots on the ground.

Thanks!
Sergio

And what about buying an over the counter tag. Do they exist in good numbers off the Florida Mtns unit?

Very tough hunt and luck is going to have a role in the outcome. I have done it twice now with only one arrow released at 80yds with a mean crosswind. It didn't even get close. I am convinced I can do it but it ain't gonna be easy. Good luck

I think it would be very difficult, but, with that being said it is done every year.
I am thinking ambush is your best approach. Watch them for a few days, see where they go, find an ambush spot, get the wind right and be patient.

As far as off unit. If you do not have some personal knowledge of some off unit I think it would be next to impossible.

agreed with paul. off florida is a suckers tag. i lived in deming 2 years and never saw one never heard of one being seen off that rock pile within the last 5 years. only exception was one that was roped by a rancher near hachita that must have been missed by Game and Fish and BLM when they slaughtered them on the Hatchet Mountains. I put in for bow as 3rd choice every year and my plan is exactly as paul said. study and then go sit and wait. and practice out to 80-90 yds. i know of two guys that have slung arrows at less than 80 yds. investing in a rangefinder with inclinometer would be a must though!

There are guys on tradgang that have and there have been several stories in huntinfool where they have done it with a bow.i heard there are a couple outfitters that have had good success also

LAST EDITED ON Oct-14-11 AT 08:05AM (MST)[p]My dad's friend drew a tag 2 or 3 years ago and killed a billy at 80 yards in a 30 mph crosswind that guy is a crack shot and he has another tag this year.

I plan on doing it come January. I'm just trying to figure out how big of one I should hold out for...

We did this hunt last year and will be doing it again in January. We spoke with a G&F officer while we were there who claimed that of the hundred archery tags available only 2 or 3 animals where taken each year. With 200 tags this year maybe 5 will be taken based on that claim. We spoke with a hunter from Nevada who threw an arrow opening day and missed at 25 yards. The hunters camped next to us killed one at 60 yards (after missing two closer shots) but couldn't recover him before dark. When they got back the next morning the ibex had been hauled off by a lion.

Get up the mountain everyday if you want a shot. There is no need to glass from the bottom unless you only want a true monster. Pretty much anywhere you can get up you will find plenty of animals and easily be able to find one over 30" if that is what you want to do. These animals will let you get to about 175 yards all day long and we were able to get to within a 100 yards several times. I drew my bow at 60 yards but wasn't able to let it fly. If you get busted they won't go far and you can start the stalk over if you have time and/or energy.

Get in great shape and your life will be a lot easier up there. Practice to 80 or 90 yards if that makes you feel good but nobody has any business throwing an arrow at any animal at that range (even with no wind at all). Even with the best equipment, and the longest draw length (few people have one of these things going for them, let alone both) you are still talking about over a second of flight time during which the ibex can move quite a ways. 1 inch off of bullseye at 10 yards is 9 inches off at 90, best case scenario it's a clean miss, worst it's a gut shot animal that dies in a place that you might kill yourself trying to get to. Leave the trick shots to the fancy kids at your local range and put in the work to take an ethical shot. From our experience it is doable and you can find info from Deming outfitters who claim most of their clients make kill shots from 25 to 50 yards.

Good Luck drawing this tag, it is the most amazing hunt I have ever been on.

PM just sent about aoudads. Good luck with your Ibex hunt.Make sure you post your story with pics whenever you get the tag.

My nephew just returned from Mongolia wher he killed a 40 incher. They look like a ball to hunt. An ultra challenge with a bow too.

Z,
All of the responses are right on from my experience (only drawn one time, and spent Nine days chasing em). I did kill a Middling Billy (35" or so) with a 72 Yard shot that I practiced countless times after I found out I drew the Tag. The only thing I would add is a couple of things:

1. Make sure you have at least 1 and preferably 2 spotters at the bottom of the mountain so you can stay in radio contact and they can let you know where the animals are moving. This being said, your spotters must have TOP NOTCH Optics (READ... The best $$ can buy) or you will have very little chance... While I was there, all the guides had Swarovski, Leica, or Leupold Scopes mounted on tripods or Window mounts.... no Exceptions. I mostly used my 15X56 Swarovski Binos and I needed more magnification most of the time.

2. Mechanical Broadheads- I used a Rage and it did a number on my billy. Less wind drift too.

Good Luck!! It is my favorite hunt to go on, and I will be down there spotting for my buddy this Jan!

Call me dumb...but I was planning on doing this by myself :)

Guess I might have to employ the resource of a few good friends.

I have Vortex optics and am proficient out to 90 yards.

Look at me talking, I need to get a tag first :)

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom