Archery Off-range Oryx Tags?

elkfanatic

Does anyone else think this is a good idea? I loved the rifle hunt off range and I think trying with archery equipment without rifle hunters in the area would be awesome.

It will be super hard but can be done. My cousin did it but it was on private property. I hopping they let me hunt the ranch this coming year so that I can get one with a bow. Spot and stalk on public land is going to be super tough to get into bow range I would think.

Oh yeah it will be unbelievably hard but I feel it would be extremely fun. We had oryx feeding to us on the offrange hunt but decided to shoot at them when they got to 150

Great way for NMG&F to make more $. Sell 20-50 tags/month, which would generate $2-5K/month (not accounting for NRs) and result in no more than a couple of oryx being taken. Easy income source without making a dent in the herd numbers.

But Muzzle Loader hunters will also ask for their own season too...

MLs would end up with a success rate close to that of rifles, methinks, which would need to be taken into account with regards to impact on herd & hunt quality.

Of course G&F doesn't want ANY oryx off-range, so maybe they don't care what the impacts are.

It's just that as the numbers continue to decrease and the hunt gets harder & harder, people will quit applying.

It's already darn near impossible to find off-range oryx. Sure a few guys get into them, but there are a whole lot of guys hitting it hard and never even seeing one.

Well maybe they could do the seasons like they do for deer and elk have ones that are designated for archery muzzleloader and rifle.I just absolutely loved that hunt and was hoping to hunt it again rather than maybe never drawing it again

No, the darn bow hunters get too many tags as it is. (and all the good dates, I might add).

Its an "any legal weapon" hunt, use whatever you want, but I see no reason in closing it down to rifle hunters so that you can bow hunt it.

If you are truly out there trying to get one with a bow, the rifle hunters will not be an issue. The only hunters I see out there are just driving the roads anyway. I have been surprised at how few hunters I usually see out there.

Ya I get that we really do get a lot of tags to work with. I just want to be able to hunt the oryx again soon because I have already had my on-range hunt and I felt the offrange hunt was more fun

Oh and also all the states that give rifle hunts during the rut for elk I find ridiculous. It is easier to kill a bull elk out of the rut with a rifle than it is to kill one with a bow in full rut.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom