Archery only Elk units in Sept ???

c3

Very Active Member
So what are the differences between most of these units? Terrain, season dates and type of hunting specifically is what I'm asking about. I've been looking at 38, 39, 45 and 54 with my 10 points, but would love to hear what people think.

I'm a pretty fit mid 50's solo diy type of archery hunter. I've hunted griz country some and even had yearling griz run into 18 yards in Montana opening day this year so I know what I'm getting into that way.

Have plans to store my trailer up by Cody all year from mid April and will probably do 4 or 5 scouting trips of 4-6 days each.

Actually thinking of using my 10 deer points somewhere as an excuse to go scouting this year. hehehehehe

Any good whitetail hunts to be had up that way I could waste those deer points on in addition to some elk scouting and save the elk points for 2020?

Cheers, Pete

LAST EDITED ON Dec-26-18 AT 10:05PM (MST)[p]Unit 38 and 45 are better than 39 and more public land. 38 is either archery or rifle not both while you have been traditionally been able to hunt both seasons with a 45 tag but they have talked about changing this so make sure your updated. I had 45 two seasons ago and wasn't overly impressed but we had lots of early snow which could have been part of the reason. I would do 38 if your primarily an archery hunter due to just a lot less tags hence less hunters to deal with. I don't know 54 with the exception I hear it's mostly wilderness so you'll need an outfitter if your not a resident.
Good luck.

Saw some huge bulls in 54 during the 2017 season.
This was in October in rifle season.
Too bad for me ,I had a area 51 elk tag.
I have know idea if the elk are in there in September, much or not.

With 10 points I would make sure I found a unit you can archery and rifle and avoid the type 9 tags. Don't waste those points!! Good luck. Keep us posted

>With 10 points I would make
>sure I found a unit
>you can archery and rifle
>and avoid the type 9
>tags. Don't waste those
>points!! Good luck. Keep
>us posted

I agree . Take advantage of what you can really get. Archery and rifle. Unit 54 i know very well. You can pm me if you have specfic questions on it

Thanks for the info guys. More interested in archery hunting the rut without all the rifle hunters also in there.

My question is more about what type of terrain the elk hang in between these units. Do you hunt them up top in the pines exclusively or are there area's where they hang low in the deep canyons and deserts during the archery hunt? Some areas more so than others in early Sept?

I've driven around all these areas, but never dug in when it counted to see how they all work.

I love more than anything to glass and film them then go in after them. Not really interested in the born and raised style of bashing them in the pines. I like those guys movies, but don't want to hunt that way.

Cheers,
Pete
www.youtube.com/user/c3hammer

LAST EDITED ON Dec-29-18 AT 04:56PM (MST)[p]I hunted 38 archery two years ago and it was a great hunt. Not sure I will live long enough to draw again but I am trying.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom