Archery Opener sucess

bucksnducks

Here is my opening morning buck. Not the biggest but what a fun hunt. Thanks to my 13 year old for passing on this one and letting me shoot my biggest buck yet and for packing half of it!
36505img1665.jpg

Congratulations! That's a great buck! Heck of gesture from your son. I'm sure that one will pay dividends in the future.

Congrats on the memories made with your son!

?Not the biggest but what a fun hunt.? I'd say the ?fun? part of the hunt far outweighs the ?biggest? part of the hunt.

Great buck, congrats. And glad you got to share it with your son. And if he isn't the biggest on the mountain, he's in the upper echelon. Really a solid buck.

Wow that a fine buck.
When you are gone that buck will hang at junior house.
You have a Awesome Young man.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Pops is suppose to pass and let junior shoot. Congratulations on a great buck! Can?t wait to see you Sons buck??

Did your son actually pass on that fine critter or did you knock him out of the way?

Hell of a buck way to get the party started.

Sorry for the late response. I've been on a business trip.
Thanks for all the replies and yes this is a Utah deer.

We had seen this buck the week before in the pines trees next to where we sat opening morning. We both agreed we needed to sit right there and wait for him to sneak through the pines again. My boy watched the meadow and I watched the thick pines behind us, both of us had arrows nocked and were ready. He came through much lower and faster than I thought he would. He came down through some small pines. I could see the tips of his horns but could not see his body. At 20 yards I whispered to my 13 year old to turn and shoot this buck. At first I think he did not realize how big the buck was. He said he was afraid if he turned, the buck would see him and bolt.

A little history that lead up to him giving me that shot was last year near this spot we had 4 shooter bucks come running into us before I even had a chance to get my bow out of my sling. He missed a shot at 20 yards on a big old 3x4 that had been in the area for the last couple of years. The 2 bigger bucks came through the shooting lane after he shot and he asked why I did not take the shot. Then he realized I was not even ready to shoot. This happened again a couple of days later and he was steaming mad at me. I told him "this is your year, this is your shot to take".
A year of crap from a 13 year old kid saying "dad can't shoot deer, he's never ready!" kind of prepares a man to shoot a deer out from under a kid just to teach him some respect.

Back to the story......The deer continued toward us as my boy says you shoot it dad and not in a positive way but more of a smart a$$ way. I think I had already started to draw my boy back as he said it because the deer went behind a tree. The deer stopped just short of a shot to look around the tree at us, at this time the buck is 10 yards away. It felt like I stood there for an eternity with the bow drawn before the buck got comfortable enough to take one step out. Just as his foot came to rest I released a perfect lung shot. He ran 20 yards or so and fell over in the meadow the boy was watching.
Side note, the shot in the picture is the exit wound not the entrence hole. I already got crap from my older kids on my shot placement. Damn kids!

Pretty excitting hunt but was over way too quick. The 13 year old just sits around looking at the horns, shaking his head in disbelief that he passed or maybe that dad can still kill deer!

That's a fantastic buck! Good for you!!!

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom