Archery release help

Grayson Everett

I need help.

I'm 18 and have been hunting since I was 12, but I've always hunted archery with a crossbow, I'm a lanky guy and wasn't that strong as a kid so my dad got me a crossbow because I couldn't pull a compound back yet. well this year its my first year with a compound ever. archery season starts tomorrow and I tried shooting today and i just cant get the bow back with the release. I can get it back easily with fingers though.

I was wondering can I finger shoot this bow and kill a deer with it?
and also, do I nock the arrow below or above the nock ring. I've read you can do it either way but I feel more comfortable nocking it above.

You can shoot fingers but you may need to change your rest. Fingers put pressure on the arrow you don't get with a release. Having said that, I recommend you stick with the release. Like Vert said, get a string loop, there are lots of advantages to this. Can you back the limbs off and lower the pull weight? It is easy to do, just turn the limb screws the same amount of turns. It is a special set of muscles that you use when you draw a bow. They do not take long to develop and they seem stay with you once you have them. Get the draw weight down to where you can shoot comfortably. Work on good form and a repeatable anchor point. As you get stronger you can slowly raise the bow weight. You have plenty of time to build the muscles you need before this hunting season. Good Luck

Like others have said get a d-loop and probably start with a wrist release, however I have heard of fellas using a finger release because it felt easier to get the draw weight to full draw.

either way don’t worry bout accuracy at this point, turn your bow down and ( blank bale). Shoot at a target 10 yards. No bullseye. Focus on a consistent anchor point and imagine your body at a perfect Letter T - form. PM me if you would like and I would be happy to help . Good luck.

If the season starts tomorrow I'd probably stick with the crossbow and practice with the new bow a bit in the meantime.

Good luck whatever you do though!

Using a wrist release, you should be able to pull it back. If not, as others have said, turn the weight down. If you're having trouble now, it will be impossible after sitting in a cold tree stand for a couple hours. It doesn't take 70# to kill a deer. I shoot 56.

Focus more on form. Stand 5 yards in front of a big target, like a round hay bale, and practice drawing, anchoring, and releasing with your eyes closed.

As somebody else said, it won't take long to develop the muscles. When I was 11, and a lanky 11! I got a 45# recurve. Couldn't pull it more than a few inches. Within a week or so, I was pegging pie plates at 20 yards. No, pegging pie plates at 20 yards isn't great accuracy, but I was 11. No training. No sights. And no internet for YouTube How-To videos.

I also second the shoot the Xbow this year and start practicing with the compound.

Good luck and post pics!!

I need help.

I'm 18 and have been hunting since I was 12, but I've always hunted archery with a crossbow, I'm a lanky guy and wasn't that strong as a kid so my dad got me a crossbow because I couldn't pull a compound back yet. well this year its my first year with a compound ever. archery season starts tomorrow and I tried shooting today and i just cant get the bow back with the release. I can get it back easily with fingers though.

I was wondering can I finger shoot this bow and kill a deer with it?
and also, do I nock the arrow below or above the nock ring. I've read you can do it either way but I feel more comfortable nocking it above.
I know this is an old post, but I can't believe no one has said anything.

He is talking about going hunting, and possibly shooting at game, TOMORROW. And he is just now getting around to attempting to shoot his bow?

He has't even actually managed to actually do it yet, and still thinks it is okay to go hunting, and just point your bow in the general direction of an animal? This takes hard earned skill to be competent. Good news is he likely won't hit close enough to wound an animal.

Irresponsible as all get out. This crap makes us all look bad. Very bad to the non-hunting public, it does none of us any favors. It downright disgusts me.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom