Archery Success

LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-19 AT 08:44PM (MST)[p]After several days of unsuccessful stalks and having a very very close encounter with a mountain lion, my son Chris was finally able to get it done. After having to relocate this buck after he walked out of site, Chris stalked into position, then sat on this buck for 3 hours in the hot Nevada sun waiting for this buck to make a move. He thought he was closer than he actually was (miscalculation on which brush clump) when the buck finally stood Chris had to make a quick downhill shot at 54 yards. His first shot deflected off an unseen twig and headed for the sun, the buck did not have a clue he was a target and gave Chris another chance, this time it made an unobstructed flight to the buck and drilled him. We watched him run over a crest at a couple hundred yards and disappear, then a huge dust cloud filled the sky as we hoped he hit the dirt and began rolling to the creekbed in the bottom of the Canyon. After cresting the hill we discovered that was exactly what happened with the buck piled up near the creekbed, Great Day!!!! The packout was an absolute nightmare for myself, 3.5 miles and 6 hours, blisters on pretty much every part of my foot that touched my boots. I'll be hard after it again this coming weekend after a week of healing. Congratulation's Chris on another great hunt to remember.
16800chris20194.jpg

That is a beautiful buck! Congrats to you and your son on a successful hunt.
Good luck this upcoming weekend on your own hunt.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-26-19 AT 06:26PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-26-19 AT 06:23?PM (MST)

Thanks for the compliments. Reflecting back on the day we were very fortunate in relocating the buck before he located us. When we found him his body was 90% in the sun with only his head and antlers in the shade, he laid on that hot sunny hillside all afternoon getting cooked by the hot sun. Usually when the sun goes overhead and directly on a deer's body they will move to a new shadier spot, this guy didn't seem to care. Live and learn as they say, it made him much easier to find. Chris has been pretty deadly with his bow since he was only 13, when I watch him draw I feel good things are about to happen.

Sounds like a bunch of fun and excitement. And great buck! Good times! Thanks for sharing.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

As always, great buck. Adrenalinaddict, I've done the blister thing myself in the past. I found that I could not wear cotton socks. Or any kind of socks but wool. After I went to wool I very seldom get a blister. fatrooster

LAST EDITED ON Sep-19-19 AT 07:29PM (MST)[p]I had learned the same thing about socks years ago, all I wear is wool but for some reason even wool generates blisters these days, I must just be turning in to a wussy foot. I probably averaged 5 mountain miles a day but even after 16 days in the field my season ended without a kill, saw several real decent bucks though, all in all it was a great season, just couldn't get all the planets to align.

Attached are a few spotting scope pictures from the hunt. It's always fun to give them a look after season in hopes that they'll grow a bit for next year.
68287scope2.jpg

79363scope3.jpg

39149scope.jpg

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom