Are masks working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ham radios are great for hiding communications especially from the intelligence agencies... just ask Nellie Ohr

Ask you nicely? Really?
This story I know to be absolutely true. All the other stories I have heard like this were in the media, and I don't trust much of what I see & hear from the media.
My nephew works in a Home Depot. Last week he had an elderly customer ask him to load his order of sheetrock.
Nephew was having a hard time getting enough air with the strenuous work so he pulled the mask below his nose. Customer got mad and started to yell at him for not wearing his mask properly. Nephew told him to take his complaint to store management.
Customer punched my nephew in the face!
Home Depot banned the customer and commended my nephew for holding his temper.
It would be one thing if they just nicely asked you to wear a mask.
People are losing their jobs, their businesses, their homes, their health care,,,,, everything they have worked their entire life to build. All because some people LIKE YOU FOUNDER, choose to live their life afraid, and they insist the rest of us be afraid too!
If things keep going the way they are, , , , , I hate to think where it will end.
Is that what I do, live my life in fear because I choose to have some common courtesy to those medical workers who are overwhelmed with patients suffering from this crap? They, along with the vulnerable in our society, are the ones affected most by COVID. My wearing a mask a few times a day is little burden compared to the burden put on them as this crap spreads like wildfire.
If wearing my mask around other people is me “living in fear”, then I guess I am in your mind. It’s silliness in mine. The big bad evil mask isn’t a big deal to wear!!! You act like they’re putting you in jail!

Why are you living in fear of “the mask”? And insist the rest of us live in fear of “the mask” too? :LOL:

Agreed, it’s not the kids who end up really sick, it’s the parents and grandparents they bring in home to. In fact, I’d bet most kids probably don’t show any symptoms at all, so if the school has 37 active cases (kids who showed enough symptoms to even get tested) then there’s probably another 37+ kids who have it, but showing no symptoms, but who take it home.
I think it spreads like wildfire in high schools. It’ll be interesting to see how long my kids’ high school can remain open before they have to close it again.

Believe me, I want them in school. I don’t think they get much education at home, but if school is what is causing the huge increase since September, something has to be done if we run too low on beds and healthcare workers. No?
No, I think that is the wrong decision. Schools must be left open for numerous reasons I won't go into all of them here. If you are vulnerable or have vulnerable people in your household then it is your responsibility to isolate. Yes we can try to be careful, wear masks in certain situations, wash our hands, and we all pretty much do. I'm not against that. For the most part it's been a choice and should remain a choice. However, kids need to go to school, people need to go to work. People can get together with their family people can go hunting in Wyoming and look for shed antlers. people can go camping in the mountains when and where they want. That is not the government's job to tell them what they can and can't do. Just because we have some people in this world that are blind we don't shut down all roads and movie theaters because they can't drive or go watch a movie.

What difference 4 years make ?

0432B834-774E-4918-B4A6-3147A843B273.jpeg

You can catch or transmit the Wuhan when walking to your restaurant table, therefore you have to wear a mask when walking to your table. Once you're at your table it's ok to take your mask off as you can't catch it or transmit it on once you're seated.... duh!

And as we ***** about masks, ammo and components are disappearing. Fast. I wore a mask to buy some primers today. Last ones in the store. I was in fear of not getting them. Not in fear of the mask. mtmuley

That's the thing, we don't care if you wear a mask, we don't demand that you don't wear a mask. See the difference?
No one is demanding you wear a mask. Medical workers are asking you to? What I can’t understand is why you’d give them the finger?

No, I think that is the wrong decision. Schools must be left open for numerous reasons I won't go into all of them here. If you are vulnerable or have vulnerable people in your household then it is your responsibility to isolate. Yes we can try to be careful, wear masks in certain situations, wash our hands, and we all pretty much do. I'm not against that. For the most part it's been a choice and should remain a choice. However, kids need to go to school, people need to go to work. People can get together with their family people can go hunting in Wyoming and look for shed antlers. people can go camping in the mountains when and where they want. That is not the government's job to tell them what they can and can't do. Just because we have some people in this world that are blind we don't shut down all roads and movie theaters because they can't drive or go watch a movie.
Well, unfortunately, I’m guessing the school my kids go to will be closed again soon. I’m fine with the rules the state has in place.

Gator, you missed my point completely! I agree, it would be a huge leap to assume that everyone that is wearing a mask in public is like that crazy customer. Obviously, thankfully, that is not true.
My point is that there are some people that are so afraid of this COVID, that they feel justified in punching a service provider that happens to not meet his standard. That seems like a much more dangerous behavior than not wearing a stupid mask!
There are a lot of people that are afraid to get on an airplane, so a lot of other people are now out of a job.
There are a lot of people that are afraid to go out to a restaurant, or a bar, or to the gym. Have you noticed how few people are still working at your bank? Your barber shop?
In Arizona, we are at about 10% testing positive, and 0.089% dying from this disease (see AZDHS and check these numbers yourself).
Last I heard, unemployment is around 8%.
I know that customer was out of line in putting hands on your nephew. Most call him afraid maybe he has a reason to be afraid for his life JUST maybe he is in that HIGH RISK group of death if he gets Covid. After having it myself I can relate to his point also.
Just remember that ME wearing a mask isn't for my safety, it for me to not to spread it to you.
Most think it for their Safety.

The panic train has left the station and won't turn back now, but I did hear Dr. Fauci say that in the beginning there was much concern about asymptomatic people spreading Covid, but now they know that it's almost unheard of with this virus.

But once a Medicine man casts a spell on you, the facts no longer matter. If he says you'll die in 3 days, you probably will roll over and die in about 3 days. But not because you're sick.

Reactions: DW
I Got To Thinkin!

If they Told you to Put a Pirate Patch on One Eye if everybody would do it?

A Mask!

And a Patch!

You'd Be Stylin!

• Haha
If they told em butt plugs prevented the Wuhan flu, there'd be a run on butt plugs!

Last edited:
I'm 63 and in pretty darn good health (if you ask me). I had COVID 19 symptoms beginning on the 12th of November. I tested positive the next day and was very sick for almost a week. I'm still weak and tired. My immunocompromised wife also got it and ended up in the hospital. Thankfully she's better now. I'm worried about the increasing evidence of the long term effects of COVID 19. Look up COVID 19 long haul and see whether or not that gets your attention especially if someone you love has or will get it. Still think "its no worse than the good 'ol flu" ?? No one ever said that masking was a cure - all. No one ever said it would eliminate the spread. Real, you know, SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE strongly suggests that masking (cloth mask, N 95, any kind) can help reduce the spread of the disease in many instances. So many people state things as fact (that are really just opinion) to justify their behavior. The people who say that mask wearers "live in fear" need to educate themselves. A mask won't protect you from others but it could protect them from you. If you knew that wearing a mask would even maybe help someone else would that make a difference to you ? It does to me. Is it really that big of a deal ? I'm happy to put up with a little inconvenience if theres even the slightest chance it could help you. I'm on the board of directors of a large hospital system and I can tell you the effect that this disease is having on our communities is horrible. Our health care workers and other essential folks put themselves and their families at risk each and every day. Don't we have an obligation to them to do anything reasonably possible to help? Even if the mask is just a sign of solidarity wouldn't you do it for them ? As a nation I fear that we've become cynical, disrespectful and uncompassionate. I truly hope that some of you will take a step back get the facts and do what you can to help us get out of this mess as soon as possible. Stay healthy and safe ! Chip

Well?!

politicians have invested in masks!

we gotta make their families rich before this blows over!

Once they get what they want, we’ll move on to the next family of politicians that need to get richer quick!

The flu is just as big a deal as the Kung Flu 19!

No one seems to care about snatching up some flu and spreading it to the pregnant and elderly!

I propose saran wrap masks for all those involved with the shutting down of businesses!

I'm 63 and in pretty darn good health (if you ask me). I had COVID 19 symptoms beginning on the 12th of November. I tested positive the next day and was very sick for almost a week. I'm still weak and tired. My immunocompromised wife also got it and ended up in the hospital. Thankfully she's better now. I'm worried about the increasing evidence of the long term effects of COVID 19. Look up COVID 19 long haul and see whether or not that gets your attention especially if someone you love has or will get it. Still think "its no worse than the good 'ol flu" ?? No one ever said that masking was a cure - all. No one ever said it would eliminate the spread. Real, you know, SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE strongly suggests that masking (cloth mask, N 95, any kind) can help reduce the spread of the disease in many instances. So many people state things as fact (that are really just opinion) to justify their behavior. The people who say that mask wearers "live in fear" need to educate themselves. A mask won't protect you from others but it could protect them from you. If you knew that wearing a mask would even maybe help someone else would that make a difference to you ? It does to me. Is it really that big of a deal ? I'm happy to put up with a little inconvenience if theres even the slightest chance it could help you. I'm on the board of directors of a large hospital system and I can tell you the effect that this disease is having on our communities is horrible. Our health care workers and other essential folks put themselves and their families at risk each and every day. Don't we have an obligation to them to do anything reasonably possible to help? Even if the mask is just a sign of solidarity wouldn't you do it for them ? As a nation I fear that we've become cynical, disrespectful and uncompassionate. I truly hope that some of you will take a step back get the facts and do what you can to help us get out of this mess as soon as possible. Stay healthy and safe ! Chip
Dang, sorry to hear that you and your wife had to deal with the crap. That had to be scary having your wife in the hospital.
Your post is dead on.
I don’t think masks are that great, but combined with others also wearing a mask, plus social distance, it makes a difference that is worth the very slight inconvenience.
I don’t understand the big deal with wearing one. It must be that need to feel rebellious against the government, or whomever or whatever.??? But it’s not even government who’s being punished by the rebellious behavior! It’s healthcare workers and the health vulnerable in society. Old people, nurses, doctors, etc. Why rebel against those folks?

No one is demanding you wear a mask. Medical workers are asking you to? What I can’t understand is why you’d give them the finger?
With all do respect, they said not to wear a mask on March so medical workers could stock pile them. Seems like a bit of a middle finger to public.

Again, you have all missed the point I am trying to make.
As I have stated in previous threads, I where a mask whenever I am out in public. I don't do it because I think it will make any difference, but because I prefer to avoid the possible confrontations. Sure, the masks are an inconvenience, but not really that big a deal. It is the people that feel it is their right to force their opinion on me, regardless of the fact that masks haven't stopped the COVID yet, that chaps my ass.

"Oooops! it is surging again! Guess we better tighten the screws some more! Sure hope it makes a difference this time!"

Wear a mask, don't wear a mask, I really don't give a damn, but don't take away my income, and then wonder why I am pissed about it. It is the people that are pushing the politicians to force the restaurants, bars, gyms, etc., etc., etc., to close again, that are being selfish. "I'm scared, so you need to shut down again!"
I wonder how they would feel if they were giving up their livelihood, , , , on the <10% chance that they might test positive, let alone get sick., or the <0.01% that they might actually die!
I have worked in Aerospace manufacturing for 46 years. some of it commercial, some of it military. Since COVID 19 hit, commercial air travel has seen an 85%+ drop in business. Looks like I am retiring before I was ready, whether I like it or not. And I am one of the lucky ones. If I was 4 years younger, I would be living in my car by now!

Tell me chipc, did the medical workers "ask you nicely" and let you make up your own mind, when you went to see wife in the hospital?
I didn't think so!
Oh, and one other question, are your health care workers still employed? COVID hasn't forced any shutdowns has it? What are the profit margins looking like these days?

Tell me chipc, did the medical workers "ask you nicely" and let you make up your own mind, when you went to see wife in the hospital?
I didn't think so!
Oh, and one other question, are your health care workers still employed? COVID hasn't forced any shutdowns has it? What are the profit margins looking like these days?
Are you drinking? So now front line health workers are the bad guys? Would you really want to be in their shoes? Hospital shut downs?

Now that the news media is using the health care workers as the new "if you are against masks you are heartless you don't care about health care workers". Founder do you get your talking points from CNN or is it more local KUTV 2News?
My wife is a RN Nurse and she has a strong opinion that masks work (different than mine) but she does not believe that others that chose not to wear masks are heartless and uncaring believe me we have discussed it at length.

A little different spin on this thread.
Have you notice it is the pepole that work from home or atleast can work from home that wants everyone to be locked down.
I was listening to Gordon Monson on sport talk radio of which he does from his home and was appalled because pepole was not willing to have a complete lock down in Utah. It is easy for him to support lock down sense he will still make his $100000+ working from home. Needless to say I don't listen to Gordon Monson anymore.

Masks cause lockdowns?

The thread title is "Are masks working?"

The answer is no, because nobody is wearing them. ;)

Glad You & Your Wife are Recovering chipc!

Do You know how you got it?
We'll never know for sure but we rode in a car with an immediate family member who is a healthcare worker and tested positive a few days later.

There was a news story last month about 800 nurses back east who were picketing for higher wages and better working conditions. They were so tired all they could do was pack a sign.

• Haha
I didn't think so!
Even though the tone of your question doesn't beg a response I'll do so anyway - did they "ask me nicely" what ? I wasn't allowed to go in and be with my wife. How would you like that ? I understood why it was neccessary and I support that.

Many healthcare employees were furloughed back in March but most have been called back. Thank goodness. We need them.

Profit margins are about 1/2 of what they once were. Most hospitals have postponed elective proceedures in order to save beds for COVID patients. Our hospital system (like most) is a community based non - profit. As such any "profits" are used to pay down debt, provide care free of charge to the indigent and those without insurance, upgrade facilities.

Any other questions ??

Now that the news media is using the health care workers as the new "if you are against masks you are heartless you don't care about health care workers". Founder do you get your talking points from CNN or is it more local KUTV 2News?
My wife is a RN Nurse and she has a strong opinion that masks work (different than mine) but she does not believe that others that chose not to wear masks are heartless and uncaring believe me we have discussed it at length.
Please tell your wife thank you and god bless her for her service. She's entitled to her opinion and so are you. My definition of "caring" is being willing to make a minor sacrifice if there is any chance at all that it might help someone else.

I didn't think so!
Wow WHY WOULDN'T you wear a masking going into a MAJOR place that has the Virus along with alot of other things that could end your spouse life as you visit her.
Elk I think your just mad at the world due to you job.
I remember a few months back when steel price sky rocketed it was all fun and games. Now looking at the whole picture it's not so rosey.

The way I see it, people who choose not to where a mask because they feel it won't help them much with not getting the virus but really don't care if someone else might get it from them because of their not wearing a mask is simply committing a very selfish act and they come across as a very self centered person.

I've also noticed that a lot of the people that are vocally against not wearing a mask are mean and rude towards those who choose to where a mask and feel like they are making a difference.

Seems to be like it's the highway or my way with alot of people.
I don't care if you wear a mask or not as long as you only hang out with your own, Don't spread it to mine. I have already found out how that works.
So much misinformation that is spread by mouth, really shows how many crazy people out there that need help and not from the virus.

So much misinformation that is spread by mouth
BINGO!

You could parade a hundred highly-educated and knowledgeable people in front of a person and he'd ignore them, but a classmate from high school sends a meme with a picture of a politician and a made-up quote and it will be repeated like gospel. There's even been examples on MM of people posting stated satire websites as truth.

And this goes for a myriad of subjects, not just Rona.

And, sadly, I've even seen people here bragging about not becoming educated and only listening to what they already believe... like it's a badge of honor. Willful ignorance is a serious problem in America.

Wow WHY WOULDN'T you wear a masking going into a MAJOR place that has the Virus along with alot of other things that could end your spouse life as you visit her.
Elk I think your just mad at the world due to you job.
I remember a few months back when steel price sky rocketed it was all fun and games. Now looking at the whole picture it's not so rosey.
Gator,
Yes, we all absolutely should where a mask while visiting any health care facility, or any facility where there are "at risk" people concentrated. That is just common sense, and I never suggested otherwise. But I would wager that if someone tried to enter such a facility without a mask, they wouldn't just "ask you nicely" to comply.
That is what set me off on this thread, and that is the point I have been trying to make. Most places do "ask nicely" for people to wear their masks. And most people do!
Unfortunately, some don't!
And that is THE problem.
Yes, I am angry. Not at the whole world, but at the people out there that don't give a damn about anyone that happens to have a different perspective than they have.
If nothing else, this thread has reminded me that most people just see the world the way they want to see it. No amount of logic, objectivity, or facts, are going to change their mind. To some extent, I am no different. But I will concede to a well documented argument, if it is presented respectfully, with credible information to back it up.
I have spent the last 30 years or so researching, analyzing, and correcting aircraft component defects. It teaches you to ignore your personal opinions, and focus only on the evidence. Not an easy thing to do effectively.
The COVID 19 pandemic has hit our household particularly hard. Not because my wife or I have come down with it. In that regard, we are both prepared to take our chances.
That is just life.
COVID 19 has drastically, & negatively, changed our lifestyle, and erased any plans we had for retirement.:mad:

Elkchaser

Gator,
Yes, we all absolutely should where a mask while visiting any health care facility, or any facility where there are "at risk" people concentrated. That is just common sense, and I never suggested otherwise. But I would wager that if someone tried to enter such a facility without a mask, they wouldn't just "ask you nicely" to comply.
That is what set me off on this thread, and that is the point I have been trying to make. Most places do "ask nicely" for people to wear their masks. And most people do!
Unfortunately, some don't!
And that is THE problem.
Yes, I am angry. Not at the whole world, but at the people out there that don't give a damn about anyone that happens to have a different perspective than they have.
If nothing else, this thread has reminded me that most people just see the world the way they want to see it. No amount of logic, objectivity, or facts, are going to change their mind. To some extent, I am no different. But I will concede to a well documented argument, if it is presented respectfully, with credible information to back it up.
I have spent the last 30 years or so researching, analyzing, and correcting aircraft component defects. It teaches you to ignore your personal opinions, and focus only on the evidence. Not an easy thing to do effectively.
The COVID 19 pandemic has hit our household particularly hard. Not because my wife or I have come down with it. In that regard, we are both prepared to take our chances.
That is just life.
COVID 19 has drastically, & negatively, changed our lifestyle, and erased any plans we had for retirement.:mad:

Elkchaser
I'm sorry I agree with what you are saying until you bring up your retirement (twice) and I just can't help but say something. If you have worked 46 years and aren't prepared I'm sorry but that is your fault. Don't try to put it on anybody but yourself. We all have set backs and uncontrollable things in our life but at 64+ years old you should know that by now. Saying if you were four years younger you'd be living in your car right now you haven't been planning for retirement at all.

Even though the tone of your question doesn't beg a response I'll do so anyway - did they "ask me nicely" what ? I wasn't allowed to go in and be with my wife. How would you like that ? I understood why it was neccessary and I support that.

Many healthcare employees were furloughed back in March but most have been called back. Thank goodness. We need them.

Profit margins are about 1/2 of what they once were. Most hospitals have postponed elective proceedures in order to save beds for COVID patients. Our hospital system (like most) is a community based non - profit. As such any "profits" are used to pay down debt, provide care free of charge to the indigent and those without insurance, upgrade facilities.

Any other questions ??
Just 1.
There has been a rumor floating around since this whole COVID 19 thing began.
"Hospitals recieve compensation from the US Government for every COVID 19 case they treat." If true, does that not create the temptation/opportunity for abuse?

For the record:
My information regarding health care workers not being furloughed, and health care facilities earning record profits during the pandemic, does not agree with your response above.
But, I am not able to document the information I have as it was relayed to me verbally buy a family member that is an RN here in Phx. and it turns out it was something he had heard at work, , , , "He said - She said kinda thing!
So, on that basis, I will take your word for it, and offer my apology for making allegations without having proof to back it up. For now! :rolleyes:

Elkchaser

I'm sorry I agree with what you are saying until you bring up your retirement (twice) and I just can't help but say something. If you have worked 46 years and aren't prepared I'm sorry but that is your fault. Don't try to put it on anybody but yourself. We all have set backs and uncontrollable things in our life but at 64+ years old you should know that by now. Saying if you were four years younger you'd be living in your car right now you haven't been planning for retirement at all.
Well UtyoteKiller, I have no idea how old you are and I don't care. I can tell you that, in spite of the best preparations, life can be full of set backs. Some can be recovered from in just a few years. Others take much longer, and still others you never fully recover from. If you are very, very lucky, you will never learn that the hard way & you can continue to stick your nose into other peoples business.

Here is my issue with the whole mask thing. They are not a magic bullet and they won't save you, so many people I know act as if they will save you and offer 100% protection. As many of pointed out, the experts have been clear that it is not 100% effective. Their is a ton of misinformation out there regarding masks, but their is a holier than thou attitude amongst people who swear by masks and they honestly believe everyone who catches COVID is anti-mask uneducated ignorant grandma killing *******. I know way too many people who think this way and it is fustrating to no end. The mask doesn't protect you but it is there to stop you from spreading to other people. So this in mind, me wearing a mask is not effective from protecting me from the virus. It is somewhat effective of keeping my germs with me (not 100%). I wear a mask in public out of respect of others and because I honestly don't want some pompous ass to tell me how I am killing people.

If you have the right mask, and wear the mask effective, and have eye protection, and social distance from people, and wash your hands with 60% alcohol based hand sanitizer, you are protecting yourself and those around you. If you wear a cloth mask, with your nose out and go to the grocery store to fight over toilet paper, you are not safe in anyway. Likewise if you are celebrating a biden win and are passing around a bottle of champagne, the mask will not protect you.

There has been a complete lack of common sense with this whole thing.

Well UtyoteKiller, I have no idea how old you are and I don't care. I can tell you that, in spite of the best preparations, life can be full of set backs. Some can be recovered from in just a few years. Others take much longer, and still others you never fully recover from. If you are very, very lucky, you will never learn that the hard way & you can continue to stick your nose into other peoples business.
Stop putting it out there for other people to stick their nose in then. I've seen it and lived it first hand. Won't hear me complaining about it. Hopefully you and your wife can pull through all this and have some semblance of the retirement you had envisioned.

I would predict that most of us are wearing the "wrong mask"!
The impression I am getting is that most businesses, and public officials don't know, or care that there is a difference in the effectiveness of your mask.
The mask has become a symbol of compliance, not an effective tool to protect the public.
Clearly, the vast majority of us are wearing a mask when we are out in public, and yet the virus continues to spread.
WTF
There is an enormous misconception about wearing a mask.
Numerous "authorities" including CDC has stated the mask does not keep you from inhaling contaminated air, it is worn to catch and minimize tiny droplets of moisture that we emit when we speak and breath through our mouths. These moisture droplets are where the virus exists.
This is why there is no mandate on what type of mask we wear....even a bandana is as equally effective.....and ineffective at stopping the Covid-19 virus.

These masks, including the "N-95" do not seal tightly and close off entry or exit of the air we breath in and out.
The only thing that does that is a Scott Air Pack style of device.

The mask have a negligible effect on virus spread. Not exactly the same thing as saying they have no effect, but that is what most people mean when they say masks don't work.

It really isn't much different than hanging a chicken wing over your front door (midieval preventative measure) or crossing yourself before performing some dangerous task (catholic gesture in some cultures). Yes, I am purposely being non-PC.

Both of these tactics provide some protection, if only to remind those in the vicinity of a perceived hazard. Masks are a symbol with a similar positive effect (Negligible.)

I don't care if anybody wears a mask. Nor does it bother me when others employ some type of superstition or symbolism to make themselves feel better. But don't ask me to do the same, or try to convince me you are especially righteous because of your compliance with meaningless government orders. All you are doing is engaging in symbolism over substance. The new norm in a shallow, hedonistic culture.

Bill

It is real simple!
1) Wear a mask because you care about other people getting Covid.

2) Care about only yourself and do nor wear one!

3) Everyone that I know who believed..."Its my right not to wear a mask!"...

and after having Covid said,..."I wish more people would wear masks this stuff is no joke!"

I’m sure those who don’t wear masks and then show up at the hospital still expect someone to put themselves at risk to help them.
Covid party one night with no mask, at the hospital the next night wanting someone else to help them breathe.

Masks are so hard. :)

I’m sure those who don’t wear masks and then show up at the hospital still expect someone to put themselves at risk to help them.
Covid party one night with no mask, at the hospital the next night wanting someone else to help them breathe.

Masks are so hard. :)
Sounds a lot like the D party universal health care plan. People who won't do anything for themselves want everyone else to cater to them.

There is an enormous misconception about wearing a mask.
Numerous "authorities" including CDC has stated the mask does not keep you from inhaling contaminated air, it is worn to catch and minimize tiny droplets of moisture that we emit when we speak and breath through our mouths. These moisture droplets are where the virus exists.
This is why there is no mandate on what type of mask we wear....even a bandana is as equally effective.....and ineffective at stopping the Covid-19 virus.

These masks, including the "N-95" do not seal tightly and close off entry or exit of the air we breath in and out.
The only thing that does that is a Scott Air Pack style of device.
I mean no disrespect, but I feel like I need to correct the record on this post.

You started this post by saying there is "enormous misconception" about mask wearing. Then you referenced CDC as your "authority" on your information. And then you spread more misconception and misinformation that contradicts the very CDC you used as a reference.

What the CDC actually says is that wearing a mask does help the wearer as well as others. They call it "personal protection" as opposed to "source control."

"Masks are primarily intended to reduce the emission of virus-laden droplets... Masks also help reduce inhalation of these droplets by the wearer. The community benefit of masking for SARS-CoV-2 control is due to the combination of these effects; individual prevention benefit increases with increasing numbers of people using masks consistently and correctly."

You then stated that any type of mask is "equally effective" at blocking particles. You specifically mention a "bandana" which would be a single-layer mask when worn as is typical. This is also not true according to the available science. The actual studies are sourced in the link below, but here is one quotation to that effect since most people aren't going to go read NCBI/NIH studies.

"Multiple layers of cloth with higher thread counts have demonstrated superior performance compared to single layers of cloth with lower thread counts, in some cases filtering nearly 50% of fine particles less than 1 micron."

Here's a diagram of N95 vs various store-bought mask materials. The benefits of the N-95 (the dots at the bottom of the diagram) are unobjectionable and the array of effectiveness of other materials certainly exists.

annhygmeq044f04_lw.gif

Last edited:
I feel there is more of a effort to fight the wearing of a mask due to the actions of certain politicians. You have a politician that mandates you must wear a mask and practice social distance. Then the next thing you see is that politician breaking his/her own mandate and attending social gatherings without masks and no social distance being maintained.
The fact that many of these politicians fail to set the example for all of us has caused problems on the citizens obeying their mandates of mask wearing and social distance.
I was taught that as a law enforcement officer to gain the trust and respect of the people required you to set a better example then that of the average citizen.
RELH

I rebel as well! I didn’t stand on the dot like it said to. I left that store feeling like a real bad-a!! Ha ha
Walked the wrong way down a one way isle too!

View attachment 19226
I was in Safeway with my wife and she accidently went the wrong way down one isle. I reported her to a Safeway employee and said maybe he should call security. She hauled off and slugged me. :ROFLMAO:

@grizzly
Thats completely fair, you are right, thank you.

But....N95 masks are still not required or mandated.
Any of us can walk into a restaurant, grocery store or any public place with just a bandana on one's face and it remains perfectly ok because it does in fact catch those droplets of moisture.

None of these masks completely seal off both intake or exhale.

I am required to wear one at work, they supply us N95's and we all comment how we can feel a major portion of the air, both in and out going around the mask.

I can't argue they help, but they obviously aren't even slowing this thing down.

I feel there is more of a effort to fight the wearing of a mask due to the actions of certain politicians. You have a politician that mandates you must wear a mask and practice social distance. Then the next thing you see is that politician breaking his/her own mandate and attending social gatherings without masks and no social distance being maintained.
The fact that many of these politicians fail to set the example for all of us has caused problems on the citizens obeying their mandates of mask wearing and social distance.
I was taught that as a law enforcement officer to gain the trust and respect of the people required you to set a better example then that of the average citizen.
RELH
I think you’re probably right, but it’s not the politicians who are being hurt when people rebel and refuse to wear a mask. Again, it’s healthcare workers and the vulnerable in society.
Wear the mask, help society and then vote the politician out of office. Not wearing the mask is not going to hurt the politician in any way that I can see. And it’s definitely not worth someone’s life.
It really never should’ve been political. It’s a mask.

There is so much hypocrisy and rules that make absolutely zero sense in this whole pandemic nightmare.

Bars having to close by 10pm, yet restaurants can stay open selling alcohol till 1am if they'd like?

Screenshot_20201206-164627_Chrome.jpg

I can't argue they help, but they obviously aren't even slowing this thing down.
I don’t think we can say that they’re not even slowing it down without knowing what it would look like if nobody wore masks. An increase in case and spread isn’t proof that measures being taken are not working.
I personally think they do help. I believe if masks weren’t being worn, a whole more people would have been sick and dead. There’s plenty of science that shows masks do make a positive difference. The better quality mask, the more they help too.

There is so much hypocrisy and rules that make absolutely zero sense in this whole pandemic nightmare.

Bars having to close by 10pm, yet restaurants can stay open selling alcohol till 1am if they'd like?

View attachment 19235
No doubt there are plenty of buttholes out there, but just because they don’t practice what they preach, doesn’t mean what they preach is not appropriate.
It’s like a doctor who smokes. He’d probably tell you not to do it and it’s unhealthy, and he’s right, regardless of the fact he doesn’t practice what he preaches.
Happens all the time.

My wife works in the laboratory in our local hospital. she has drawn blood and taken nasal swabs from at least a dozen different patients that have then tested positive for covid. These were people that came in for things other than covid and covid wasn't suspected so she wasn't wearing an N95 like they wear around suspected covid patients, but rather just the surgical mask they are required to wear all day (these are the same masks anybody can easily purchase all over). The patients are usually wearing one also (other than when they are swabbed). There are 3 others that also work with her in the lab that have all had similar numbers of exposures. That is around 50 close range exposures between the 4 of them (heads 2 feet apart) and often sneezing when the nasal swab is done. They are all 4 tested twice a week and none have tested positive yet. You will never convince my wife that masks don't do any good.

I don’t think we can say that they’re not even slowing it down without knowing what it would look like if nobody wore masks. An increase in case and spread isn’t proof that measures being taken are not working.
I personally think they do help. I believe if masks weren’t being worn, a whole more people would have been sick and dead. There’s plenty of science that shows masks do make a positive difference. The better quality mask, the more they help too.
If nobody had worn a mask from day one until now. The death rate would definitely be in the millions by now. 50 million people died from the spanish flu and that was during a time period where a lot less people were traveling.

Going to the grocery store now is like walking into a funeral home. Nobody is talking or even making eye contact.

I was working the Christmas tree lot today and was in the back putting out a few trees. A lady wandered back there looking for a tree. She asked me a few questions about the different kinds of trees/price, etc. My mask slipped down and she said don't worry about it. We were outside. Before long we both were without masks breathing fresh air. Shhhhhhh! Don't tell anyone. I never got closer than 6'.

Let's Do a Reality Check here Shall We?

You Can't Wear that .19 Cent Made in China POFT Mask every Minute of Your Life!

They've Claimed for a few Months Now the Virus is Airborne!

That Means You can get this Crap even if You're Isolated all alone on ALCATRAZ Island!

I Don't see how any of us are gonna be able to stay away from it in the Long Run!

But They Keep SKEERING Americans!

Instead of doing Something to make Americans PROUD Again!

Let's Do a Reality Check here Shall We?

You Can't Wear that .19 Cent Made in China POFT Mask every Minute of Your Life!

They've Claimed for a few Months Now the Virus is Airborne!

That Means You can get this Crap even if You're Isolated all alone on ALCATRAZ Island!

I Don't see how any of us are gonna be able to stay away from it in the Long Run!

But They Keep SKEERING Americans!

Instead of doing Something to make Americans PROUD Again!
I caught it and have been wearing masks at work and in public, just trying to follow along whether I believe in them or not.

Lmao! Good to see yer still chuckin trees Eel! It's a sign yer still alive! Since grizz is so annoyed by memes, here's one to put things into perspective for the slow kids. Another work week ahead for those who've chose to ignore the nonsense. Wolverines!!!

130743684_10158970973568307_353037650428605790_n.jpg

And one for the blind mice! Most likely one in the same!!!

130301480_10222978070017726_4295142081315047436_n.jpg

Hey Eel?

Did You Mention to Ms Eel How Cute The Gal Was You Had Out Back in the Tree's?:D
She's not worried about that. She gets a little upset when I bring home some home made cookies as a tip though. Especially if I tell her I'm not hungry for dinner. :D

• Haha
A good hunter doesn't have to wear a mask outside. We're always aware of the wind and stay upwind of anyone we're talking to.:ROFLMAO:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom