Are Valkyrie Broad Heads Worth It?

Vitalwave

I am in the process of researching arrow/broad head combinations that fly like field points as I might have a decent chance of drawing my LE elk tag this year. I have even called the local pro shop who seems fairly reputable here in Utah. They rave about the Valkyrie broad heads. Not sure if they are the real deal or if the pro shop just makes good margins on them?

Anybody shoot them? Are they worth the money? Just the broad heads alone are $500/dozen!

The first few deer I killed with a bow I used cheap "Wal-mart specials" heads and they seemed to work just fine. I shot a spike elk with a Rage and it died eventually but ran aways. There are so many broad head options its hard to know which ones to take seriously. I agree that just because something is expensive doesn't necessarily means its the best. Thanks for the feedback!

Every broadhead kills. Every broadhead can fail. Doesn’t matter how much you prepare, some things are just out of your hands. What is in your control is shot placement. You do your part, odds are any head will perform. Some heads are more prone to failure than others, but none are 100% guaranteed to work every. Single. Time. I personally think there are better options on the market, but that’s just my opinion.

@Master Baiter I agree 100% with what you are saying. Shot placement is key. I love to hear what people are using. I need to make a selection and start shooting them. Practice shooting is probably more important than the broad head itself.

Just bought some annihilators and they fly like field points. Have shot them out to 60 and they fall right in there with the field points. When I get another good day I plan to stretch them out to 100 to see what they'll do.

I'm shooting the 100 grain for deer but I have heard the same applies to the 125s.

As mentioned...I'm sure a tuned bow will shoot a lot of fixed blades well.

I shoot Valkyrie....love them. They fly great, great penetrating head. IMO they are the toughest head on the market. Lifetime guarantee.

@PREZ Do you use their complete arrow system as well? I think they have a special insert system but not sure if you have to use their arrows or not?

@PREZ Do you use their complete arrow system as well? I think they have a special insert system but not sure if you have to use their arrows or not?
I use Black Eagle X Impact with
Ethics Archery inserts ( about 2-3 inches into shaft) with a 150 grain Valkyrie Blood Eagle. This system is similar to the Valkyrie system but a little lighter in weight.

I burned through several hundred dollars, testing arrows and broadheads to destruction, after a failure to penetrate bone that bothered me. So I am kinda opinionated here, bear with me.

IMHO VPA broadheads can't be beat. They are like $55 for a 3 pack. They are machined from a single block of steel, no welds and no moving parts. I put one through a cinderblock, resharpened and reused it. (wouldn't hunt with it, as it got shorten up 1/16 inch or so)

The last elk I shot, the arrow went through the middle of a rib on the way in, out through the humerus bone, and kept on going. The bull went 25 yards and crashed, arrow went straight through the heart. Tried extensively but never found the arrow, I am sure it would have still been usable after resharpening.

I shoot them year round, might as well practice with exactly what you will be hunting with. I can put all my arrows into more or less, the center larger circle of an 18 inch broadhead target at 100 yards (think paper plate size) they are very accurate.

Though I would never hunt at that distance, it makes those realistic 50-60 yard shots so much easier. I prefer the 3 vane, non-vented, 150 grain version myself. I do like a high foc and a medium heavy arrow, 454 grain total and 19.5% foc currently.

I sound like a VPA salesman...lol. But really they are the best broadheads I have ever used, there's not even a close second to them IMHO. Don't know about the $500 ones you mention, but I don't know how you could get any better.

I have shot VPA also....great head. So many great heads on the market...Viper Tricks, Solids , Iron Wills....I have used all of these, but the Valkyrie is my choice. They all work.

I did a lot of research. I have shot slick trick four blade and trophy taker shuttles (until they went to china) mostly. I wanted to find the best I could. I tried the Valkyrie short blood eagle vented. I actually got one of the blades to bend on the vent portion after I hit a wood pile. I went to the Short Jag Ti solid w Centerpin 180 gr with sleeve. 22gr. I shoot the Victory VAP Elite 300, I shot threw my biggest bull this past fall - twice. First arrow never found and second was 15 yards beyond him (44 yd shot second one, 24 first. Bull went 20 yards but was dead on fist shot with a heart shot. I actually dumped him over but he got back up w blood pouring out of his nose. I keep shooting if they are standing). 18 year wait w point on a OIL hunt. I chose Valkyrie.

Bow is a Bowtech Insanity 74 lb 29” draw
Arrow weight is 467 gr.

Late Mule deer tag same year - shot my mule deer buck at 78 yards. Complete pass through quartered away. Arrow was 10 yards beyond impact. Deer went 30 yards, dead in seconds.

They are very expensive and it doesn’t matter if they are guaranteed for life sharpening or replacement - if you lose the arrow. :)

Only thing else I considered was Ozcut three blade solid and Nexxus sleeves. They are similar to Valkyrie‘s idea but after I ordered a pack of sleeves to check out I found the Valkyrie is a better system and seem more durable - because the sleeve sits on the shaft further. However, the nexxus allows conventional head choices. The Valkyrie centerpin is a pretty professional design IMO.

I am shooting them again this year.

Hope this helps!
WB

@Wishbull300 Thanks for the great info. I am going to give the 150 grain blood eagles a try. Did you notice anything different in terms of flight from the blood eagles to the jaggers or was it just durability you were worried about? I got my arrows back and went with the Victory VAP TKO Gamer 300 spine with the 50 grain insert and was planning on running the 150 grain blood eagles. Total arrows weight is 483.5 grains at 273 FPS out of my Bowtech Carbon Knight. I didn't fully commit on the center pin system because I wanted the option to use "normal" threaded broad heads if I wanted to lighten up my setup later or if I got in a jam and needed to use other broad heads off the shelf. So far I have just shot it with field points and it seems to shoot/fly great. Now I just need to find a better target. It was shooting through my bag target. Very good penetration...

@desperatehills hahaha! Yeah that is what I was thinking too. The blood eagles Valkyrie broad heads are more like $300/dozen but same idea. Wouldn't want to be shooting squirrels or grouse with those. By the time you add the arrow you are shooting 50 dollar bills at your target... Maybe I'll just buy one head and be very selective. ?

I am not a fan of vented broad heads. I personally like solid.

Flight was just as good With blood eagle.

It was in WA. Shot a bull in AZ with my prior set up of Post Dan Evans TT Shuttle T and had two blades break upon impact. Once a get any doubt in my equipment I find something else.

good luck!

I personally believe that the "$500 price tag" gets unfairly blown a little out of proportion. The reality is the Blood Eagles are $79 for 3, and the Jaggers are $129 for 3 broadheads (which isn't cheap). Your arrow costs are your arrow costs. You are going to go through arrows every year. If you buy into the whole FOC idea, then you understand the value. If you don't, then you can shoot whatever makes you comfortable.
I shoot the Blood Sports, due to cost. When you have them in your hands, and compare to a Muzzy 100, you know you are holding very two different broadheads. Killed and seen multiple bulls with Muzzy 100, and they died. But the selling point is, what if you hit a bone, or the bull moves? Is it worth shooting a better quality broadhead to make up for the "what ifs". That's for each to decide. Bulls die to different broadheads every year. I shoot the Valkyrie broadheads to make up the difference for marginal shots, or bulls that move. The quality makes me feel for at ease if the unthinkable were to happen.

So there aren’t any other heads that can perform well for ‘marginal’ hits at a much reduced cost?

So there aren’t any other heads that can perform well for ‘marginal’ hits at a much reduced cost?
Bohntr, I didn't say that there are not other heads that kill bulls that cost less...I actually did state that. My point was that holding the Muzzy 100 and the Valkyrie broadheads in your hand, you can see there is a quality difference. You are not going to bend blades on the Valkyrie heads if you hit bone. I personally believe that a heavier FOC makes a difference in arrow flight in the wind as well. That is the idea that the Valkyrie system is built around, Maximum penetration and accuracy. I shoot heavy FOC arrows (530gr) side by side with my older light (410gr arrows). FOC decreases wind drift, thereby increasing accuracy. Heavy cutting blades that don't bend are another bonus. It helps me know that I'm giving it my best effort.

That being said...I used to build and sell bows. Why are we begrudging those who buy $1000 bows to hunt, when others are successful with $300 bows? We all have opinions, and maybe we should encourage people to be educated and make good decisions, rather than saying that they don't need to spend that kind of money for success. Opinions are just opinions....

I’ve been doing this a looong time and been in the industry portion as well for a number of years. One thing I’ve learned is hyped up advertising works on bowbenders where they truly believe that if it’s a lot of money, it must be better. That may be true for optics, but it’s not always true for other items.

I know the owner of Valkyrie and he makes a good head. But your statement makes it seem like if you have a marginal hit, this over priced head is the one to have....to which I will disagree. I’ve shot Zwickey, Magnus Black Hornets, original Magnus, and some VPA’s into granite boulders that were used again because they were not damaged......many of those heads are half the cost of the Valkayrie. That was my only point. I think we can all agree that dead is dead.....and one head can’t kill something ‘deader’. ?

I agree that the hunting industry sells a lot of gear to those who have to have bigger and better. I've sold guns and bows, and watched as the RUM, 220 Swift, .17 calibers, WSSM, ect have come and gone. They are all revolving around and marginally better or worse than the old stand by 243, 270, 30 06, 7mm. The same could be said about broadheads.
It is my opinion that no one can control if an animal spooks or spins when you release the arrow. But you can practice and do your best to make the arrow count. I believe that the Valkyrie broadheads are the best plan B, when everything doesn't go perfect on the shot. Not debating taking marginal shots or shooting through brush. That is unethical and unacceptable. I think the industry is doing well moving forward to increase the success rates of archers. I for one am a big fan of Valkyrie's quality. I think that makes a difference. If someone wants to shoot something else, more power to them.

Im late to the party and just read this, but my $.02 anyway:

I looked very hard at the Valkyrie system and mechanically, it checked off all the boxes I was looking to accomplish. There are many excellent, durable broadheads avaiable. I believe most agree on that. Behind the head, the connection to the arrow, is an often overlooked detail that can adversely affect penetration if/when bone is encountered. If the insert bends, breaks or splits the front of the shaft on impact, it doesnt matter WHAT broadhead is screwed into it, the head is now useless. Valkyrie solved that issue with their in/outsert system, but at quite a $$ investment. If you shoot more that a few animals/year, that $$ adds up and hurts a bit. Someone else mentioned the VAP TKO shafts and components and I agree. Their system also offers an great solution to the link between arrow/shaft at a much easier to digest price of admission. Availability of different weight inserts allows FOC and arrow weight adjustability. Been working well for me!

I agree that the hunting industry sells a lot of gear to those who have to have bigger and better. I've sold guns and bows, and watched as the RUM, 220 Swift, .17 calibers, WSSM, ect have come and gone. They are all revolving around and marginally better or worse than the old stand by 243, 270, 30 06, 7mm. The same could be said about broadheads.
It is my opinion that no one can control if an animal spooks or spins when you release the arrow. But you can practice and do your best to make the arrow count. I believe that the Valkyrie broadheads are the best plan B, when everything doesn't go perfect on the shot. Not debating taking marginal shots or shooting through brush. That is unethical and unacceptable. I think the industry is doing well moving forward to increase the success rates of archers. I for one am a big fan of Valkyrie's quality. I think that makes a difference. If someone wants to shoot something else, more power to them.
If you've watched the .220 swift come and go then you must be one old bastage. It was introduced in 1935.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom