Area 24 Wyoming elk advice

CEG

We were lucky enough to draw an area 24-1 elk tag in Wyoming we were super lucky because this is the first time we ever put in for that unit we are residents of Wyoming but never been up towards that area and don’t really have a clue on how to hunt it my main questions are. Are the elk mostly on green mountain or can you find them all over the unit. Is it possible to find a 320+ bull their. And is better to do archery or rifle season.

The elk can be anywhere throughout the area. As a starting point the Green Mt. or Crooks Mt. areas with heavy pines hold lots of elk. It will be super dry so look at water sources. It’s a great area. You will have a great hunt.

A great tag. As mentioned water is pretty key and this year has been really dry up here. We are getting a solid rain right now but water and feed has been scarce. Darker north slopes and water will be key. There are always elk in the sage flats someplace. I have seen elk cross into 24 from both 100 and 118. Not a lot of elk but they are there.

Whiskey, Green, and Crook…

During the early season in the archery I never saw any other hunters (I was crossing the unit to antelope hunt). Rifle season definitely gets busy. I am an archery hunter and would much rather archery hunt with no one else than rifle hunt with others…

I have also see the elk move back and forth between Whiskey and Ferris. Lack cow elk on Ferris can send some decent bulls ranging far…

CEG
You are on a roll!
Keep it up 24 can produce a giant??
CEG, congrats on pulling a great tag!
Also had this tag in 2014. 280-300” bulls pretty typical, with potential for a few 340-360” My son & I have cow tags for 24 this year. We’ll be archery hunting for the better part of Sept. As mentioned not many hunters during archery & plenty of rut/bugling so it’s a great time. PM me or We could compare notes if you’ll be in the unit in Sept.

CEG, congrats on pulling a great tag!
Also had this tag in 2014. 280-300” bulls pretty typical, with potential for a few 340-360” My son & I have cow tags for 24 this year. We’ll be archery hunting for the better part of Sept. As mentioned not many hunters during archery & plenty of rut/bugling so it’s a great time. PM me or We could compare notes if you’ll be in the unit in Sept.
Alright thanks

I was up there a week ago and it’s greener in July than I have seen in years - at least around Green Mountain. All others have given great advice - the archery hunt can be really fun but has gotten more crowded the last 5-10 years but is definitely my favorite time to hunt. Most bulls are 260-290 with the occasional bigger bull but it’s just not an area that provides much relief for elk away from hunters that would allow them to get much age class. A lot of elk and you will have fun. Timber with water nearby will hold the majority of elk.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom