Area 54 Archery Unlimited -- DEER

Hunt4more

Very Active Member
Good backup plan tag for a non resident. Quality hunt for 4 point bucks? Compare to it Nevada hunting quality. I would take pretty much any Nevada tag as a back up archery hunt.

Good backup plan tag for a non resident. Quality hunt for 4 point bucks? Compare to it Nevada hunting quality. I would take pretty much any Nevada tag as a back up archery hunt.

I wouldn’t compare it to NV. In Idaho with pretty easy country near a metro area. What can you expect? A few good deer in there but the quality isn’t great.

Copy, good local back up option if you have all summer to spend finding a good buck. At least that's what it sounds like

I have hunted it. Fun hunt. Saw lots of deer. Because it's a "draw" tag and not a otc tag it has weeded out quite a bit of casual weekend warrior archers. I would do it again.

Too many tags and not enough deer.
Idaho comes in 3rd for record book mule deer all you have to do is Google it it also comes in 6th for elk
One of the reasons my wife and I bought our property and moved to Idaho was, the quality mule deer hunting, now if you want tomany hunters and subpar deer hunting move to. Montana,

I have the same tag this year (first time hunting it), but my expectation is very low in trophy quality; actually just looking to harvest my first archery deer and hoping to at least bring some meat home. A tasty forky would be just fine for me on that hunt. Looking forward for the season to start!

I spent a lot of time in 54 last year and I saw one buck in close to 40 days that I would consider a shooter. In my time there I may be saw a dozen bucks most of them fork or smaller. Most the nonresidents I seen hunting it were willing to shoot does. Not a hunt I would consider equal to Nevada hunting in my opinion.

how did you experience go Rodzilla?
I was able to scout the unit prior to opener (saw some good bulls, and a few small bucks), unfortunately the fire broke out the same week I was planning to go. With the area I had been eyeing behind the closure I did not end up going. A friend that was there said it was tough to do any spotting due to the thick smoke, and ate his tag. I will be going up there this year. Love the country (whoever draws a bull tag there is a lucky guy).

54 deer have taken a colossal nosedive the last 7-8 years. I can’t believe IDFG had let it slide to that level.

If anyone here wants to spot, stalk and shoot a mountain lion, this is your unit. No dogs required.

54 deer have taken a colossal nosedive the last 7-8 years. I can’t believe IDFG had let it slide to that level.

If anyone here wants to spot, stalk and shoot a mountain lion, this is your unit. No dogs required.
I agree with everything you said.
Too bad they don't treat this unit like 44 or 45. Just as good or better genetics, they just don't give much of a chance for a buck to grow to maturity.
I had a cow elk tag in there two years ago and glassed up a cat with 3 kittens.

My wife had the late rifle tag, we cut more lion tracks every day then the amount of mature bucks we spotted.

I agree with everything you said.
Too bad they don't treat this unit like 44 or 45. Just as good or better genetics, they just don't give much of a chance for a buck to grow to maturity.
I had a cow elk tag in there two years ago and glassed up a cat with 3 kittens.
Where I want to hunt lions is not where I go to hunt deer. 54 sounds like a great place to hunt a cat! I am going to pass on the 54 unlimited again this year. Come on Nevada results - should be out tomorrow!

Early rifle deer 2019, I saw 6 lions with my own eyes in 3 days. Never seen one before that. I saw fewer bucks, only 5. Mbogo, I also saw a female with 3 kittens. That place is a cat factory. No wonder the deer are disappearing.

I made a play to try and kill one but that creep disappeared on me.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom