Arizona deer/Let's try this again.

jvgunner

With the draw coming up for deer in AZ, I thought I would add my annual question. Which Norther AZ hunt would you do with 18pts this year. My choice will most likely be 13 b rifle/ 12aw late, Or 13b rifle/13b archery. Love to hear the experts thoughts. We all need things to look up. Looking forward to a great Fall. Good Luck this year,

I drew 13b archery with less than 18, actually, I think 17 as I remember. I got lucky in this draw for sure. I would take another of those tags anytime. Good luck.

With the draw coming up for deer in AZ, I thought I would add my annual question. Which Norther AZ hunt would you do with 18pts this year. My choice will most likely be 13 b rifle/ 12aw late, Or 13b rifle/13b archery. Love to hear the experts thoughts. We all need things to look up. Looking forward to a great Fall. Good Luck this year,

resident or non-resident?

If you are a resident and you go into the draw with 18 points and put in as follows. 1st choice 13B rifle ...2nd choice 12aw late rifle...Based on the last 5 years draw...You will have NO CHANCE at a 13B tag. You will draw the 12AW tag in the bonus pass and never be considered for the 13B tag. With point creep it has taken 20 ish points to be in the pass for 13B rifle and 16 ish points to be in the bonus pass for 12AW late.

As a resident my wife had 19 points last yr and did not draw the 13B rifle and my son who had 15 points did not draw the 12AW late tag....If point creep does not jump dramatically this yr they will both draw those tags.

If you are a resident and you go into the draw with 18 points and put in as follows. 1st choice 13B rifle ...2nd choice 12aw late rifle...Based on the last 5 years draw...You will have NO CHANCE at a 13B tag. You will draw the 12AW tag in the bonus pass and never be considered for the 13B tag. With point creep it has taken 20 ish points to be in the pass for 13B rifle and 16 ish points to be in the bonus pass for 12AW late.
Thats the one and only thing I dislike about the AZ system; I think its great otherwise. Would be nice to have an opt out option to give the chance to enter after the bonus pass round to have a chance at both the first two choices.

If you have any question give Bob Dykeman with shadow valley outfitters a call. He can tell you exactly what it took last yr to be guaranteed a tag

Non Resident

As a NR and 18 points, you have less than 1% to draw the 13B rifle tag.....and about 1.5% for archery 13B. You're, unfortunately, too many points off max for the Strip. Your odds are a little better for 12AW (late), but still not great.

As a NR and 18 points, you have less than 1% to draw the 13B rifle tag.....and about 1.5% for archery 13B. You're, unfortunately, too many points off max for the Strip. Your odds are a little better for 12AW (late), but still not great.
I know I am a ways out from max. But a guy has to dream a little, especially with 18 pts. You know the sun shine on a dogs A__ every once in awhile.

I wish i would have got my lifetime hunting license when I lived In AZ in the 90's. May have saved some money. Thanks for the info BOHNTR. I will keep at it. Also with my 19 elk pts. I hope I do not die before hunting AZ again.?

I would have seriously considered an archery elk hunt......3/4” of rain today in the White Mountains.....going to be another incredible antler year for antler development.

Hopefully this weather cycle will continue for the next few years. How is the precipitation on the Kaibab and the strip?

14 points as a non resident last year. 13b could happen!
CE928650-D31F-49F8-AF9C-E48955225825.jpeg

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom