Arizona hunting system

MountainSqwabler

Could someone with the knowledge of the arizona system Chat with me? I'd like to learn about their system and try and see about getting into their draws.

Hmmm. Briefly:
1) NR tags in any unit are limited to a max of 10% of the total in that unit.
2) 5% go to the highest point holders, in the Bonus Pass
3) The remaining 5% are in the 1-2 Pass (the next round), along with all the Res and NR's. In other words, it is possible for 5% more NR tags, but it could be lower.
4) Each point gets each entrant a random number, and the application gets a random number. Lowest number gets first pick.
5) So, if you have one point, and I have 20, it is POSSIBLE you get a random number that is lower than the 20 I have, and you get the tag. That's why you'll see people say "I drew this primo OIL tag with only 3 points."
6) After 5 years not drawing, you get another point.
7) Take the AZ Hunter Ed course and you get another point.

Turned out to be longer than I expected, but that's the gist of it.

Man I miss Adventure Writer. He loved these kind of questions. RIP Tony.

Full disclosure, I don't think AZ changed it this year! :) :)

What other western state does that? is the better question.
WY and SD not in the west? Some pretty good hunting there. The other states offer some damn good moose and elk hunts and aren’t hosing everyone just to apply. I didn’t just list states offering squirrel tags.

No I would not consider SD a western state. Wyoming yes. So you've got one western state that doesn't charge for a license to be put in the draw. Certainly not "most". Even wyoming not charging for a license you end up paying hundreds of dollars if you want to buy points for all the species there.

Hey guys, instead of post a whole new thread I thought I would ask here since it's along the same subject. I just completed my online AZ hunter's safety. Do I have to send the certificate to AZ fish and game now or does the online course provider do it automatically. This now give me 20 points as a non-res. Finally getting there for a decent archery elk tag. Thanks

No I would not consider SD a western state. Wyoming yes. So you've got one western state that doesn't charge for a license to be put in the draw. Certainly not "most". Even wyoming not charging for a license you end up paying hundreds of dollars if you want to buy points for all the species there.
Thats one of the dumber things I’ve heard, that SD is not the west.

With hunting that includes mule deer, antelope, elk, bighorn sheep, lions, badlands, black hills….

Parts of it are further west than parts of Colorado and New Mexico.

Partly in Mountain Time zone.

Also, Homer asked “What state doesn't do that?” and I answered. With facts.

You are just being dense.

Thats one of the dumber things I’ve heard, that SD is not the west.

With hunting that includes mule deer, antelope, elk, bighorn sheep, lions, badlands, black hills….

Parts of it are further west than parts of Colorado and New Mexico.

Partly in Mountain Time zone.

Also, Homer asked “What state doesn't do that?” and I answered. With facts.

You are just being dense.
So does that mean Oklahoma is in the west? And Nebraska? Since they have parts further west than Colorado? And also have Elk, deer, sheep, and antelope? Are the animals that live in a state what makes them in the west? Pennsylvania has elk bigger than most western states so can we include them?

You answered Homer with one truly western state that doesn't charge upfront for a license and it ends up costing more to buy the bonus points than those upfront license states anyway. And you claimed 1 (2 if you really want to count SD) as "most". Some good facts right there.

If you log into your Portal account and check your points it should appear without further action from you.

Up until a couple years ago, the information in the portal system was lagging by several months, so don't be alarmed if it takes a while.

AZG&F updated the system a couple years ago, so it might be quicker now. Although that update was a fiasco that required more updates, and more updates!

You are correct abou tthe bonus point $. I have 13 Elk points going to cash in this next year so thats 55 bucks a year x 13. By time I pay or licsense will be 13 -1400 dollars for the tag............BULL!

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom