Arizona unit 21 antelope

H

Happyhunting

What if anything can someone tell me about this unit? The antelope population, the hunting presure, the terrain, and the trophy quality, vs. other areas in Arizona?

I know several people that have hunted archery antelope in 21. The success is always zero. They have said it is hard to locate the antelope and it is a very hot hunt. In August the temperature is in the area of 110*. A friend had a tag there last year and, was hunting private land. he only saw 4 antelope, with only 1 being a buck.

A few years ago, I talked to the game manager for 21 and, he said the herd is "maintaining", not growing in other words. One of the problems is cattle are direct competitors for feed and the antelope have to migrate alot between feed and reliable sources of water.

Poachers and lions hammer the Antelope in unit 21. Not many animals to begin with.

I have a couple of friends who have taken antelope in Unit 21 a few years back. It is a very difficult hunt considering the August temperature, low population of antelope and how the population is dispersed (juniper country in the north and desert country in the south). You really need to do your homework with preseason scouting.
ArizonaGriz.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom