Arrowed a few NM antelope.

12ring

So my hunting partner and I put a bunch of miles on our tucks this year between scouting, setting up blinds and putting out cameras. It wasn't easy but it was fun and well worth it.

We were both able to get off friday before the hunt so we set up camp and headed out to check cameras. It had been raining so there were puddles and the grass was holding tons of moisture in the mornings. With that being the case, we had way less action on our cameras than we had anticipated.

We spot and stalked opening day and the morning of day 2 but after a bunch of blown stalks, we were beat down. Things had dried out the last 2 days and it was hot so I decided to sit water the second half of day 2.

After sitting for 5 hours with nothing coming in, I saw a buck appear out of nowhere at 150yds out. He was skiddish of the blind. He would come in a little and then move back out and circle. This went on for what felt like forever. He circled so far around the blind that I lost sight of him because I had the side and back windows shut.

He finally reappeared and headed to drink. I ranged him and was about to draw when a doe came out of nowhere and blocked my shot. When she moved I drew and shot. The shot entered good but exited back a little. He went 20yds and laid down. After a few minutes he was breathing funny but he hadn't expired so I sent another arrow into him. He only went a few yds after that a fell over.

I had all week off so I planned to hold out for a good one. Im glad I did. I may never top this buck. Here he is.

938920140824_193301-1.jpeg

688020140824_193142-1.jpeg

My buddy had to leave the next day so the plan was for him to sit water from morning until 1:00 and then I was going to pick him up. For some reason I told myself not to show up early because if I did that and ended up blowing a goat out of there, he would never let me live it down.

I showed up at 1:10 and its good I did because he shot his buck at 1:00. He saw him coming straight in from about 1000 yards out but was saying, hurry hurry cause he knew I was coming for him.
He made a 50yd double lung shot and the buck only made it 100-150yds before going down.

Here is his buck.

669220140825_132308.jpeg

It was a blast. Here is a pic of my buck, seconds before I shot him.

968prms0120.jpg

Congrat's on your buck's, with a bow even better,seem's like this year everyone is taking nice antelope.

Congrats to you both . It's hard to get one goat with a bow let alone two . Those are nice goats . Great job Matt .

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom