Arrows

jeremyr32

With all the different arrows on the market. What arrows are you all shooting. What grain Broad-heads and why? I am looking for new arrows. I shoot a 125 Gr Broadhead for hunting.

I used to shoot 125 gr broadheads back in the days of aluminum arrows. For carbon arrows, the typical go-to grain is 100. This is something you'll want to look into. Will your local bow shop let you shoot through paper? That really helps dial in type of arrow shaft, field point/broadhead grain, rest position, knock-point, etc.

Your arrows will depend on what your bow set up consists of.

Curious why a 125 gr broadhead?arrow
I heard that for hunting its better to have a heavier grain broadhead. That the speed loss is minimal compared to the 100 Gr. I am new to a lot of this still. I am shooting a Mathews vxr at 60# and a 26.5 arrow

Last edited:
I used to shoot 125 gr broadheads back in the days of aluminum arrows. For carbon arrows, the typical go-to grain is 100. This is something you'll want to look into. Will your local bow shop let you shoot through paper? That really helps dial in type of arrow shaft, field point/broadhead grain, rest position, knock-point, etc.
I think they will let me for a few bucks ha.

I have thought about changing from 125 to 100 but I already have 6 muzzy briadheads that would just go to waste. Is there any real advantage to switch?

I don’t think you gain as much with a heavier broadhead shooting a compound and carbon arrow as the belief once was. If we were talking traditional archery that would be a different story. I’d go with a 100 gr cut on contact or rear deploying expandable head and a heavier arrow like an Easton axis if you’re shooting 60# with a shorter draw length. If you wanted to add weight upfront, I’d do it with insert weights, not the broadheads.

I don’t think you gain as much with a heavier broadhead shooting a compound and carbon arrow as the belief once was. If we were talking traditional archery that would be a different story. I’d go with a 100 gr cut on contact or rear deploying expandable head and a heavier arrow like an Easton axis if you’re shooting 60# with a shorter draw length. If you wanted to add weight upfront, I’d do it with insert weights, not the broadheads.
Why insert weights vs broadhead weight?

No need for all that. This bull went all of about 12 yards and tipped over last year!
100 grain reapers will kill a Buffalo try them out.

Screenshot_20200523-062453_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200523-062508_Gallery.jpg

You don't start off by just picking a broadhead weight. You need to consider you're entire setup. What is your draw length, draw weight, arrow length? Do you know what spine of arrow you should be shooting? Take all those things into consideration then you will know the optimal arrow to shoot and you want to consider your FOC when knowing what weight of broadhead to use. Too heavy of a broadhead will be harder to tune on a lighter spined arrow. Too light of a broadhead and your FOC may not be optimal and that all reflects into proper arrow flight/tune.

Starting with a broadhead weight first is like choosing a cam for your musclecar without considering the rest of the build and drivetrain. Think of the complete system and how it will work best together.

I fling lite stiff arrows (RIP XV) with 125gr heads.

Only thing I don’t like about them is they typically break if I miss the target and hit a rock. Normally shoot montecs, standard grim reapers, and just got so hybrid grim reapers that are Colorado legal for this fall.

You don't start off by just picking a broadhead weight. You need to consider you're entire setup. What is your draw length, draw weight, arrow length? Do you know what spine of arrow you should be shooting? Take all those things into consideration then you will know the optimal arrow to shoot and you want to consider your FOC when knowing what weight of broadhead to use. Too heavy of a broadhead will be harder to tune on a lighter spined arrow. Too light of a broadhead and your FOC may not be optimal and that all reflects into proper arrow flight/tune.

Starting with a broadhead weight first is like choosing a cam for your musclecar without considering the rest of the build and drivetrain. Think of the complete system and how it will work best together.

My draw is 26.5 and 60# my arrows are 27” from center nock to insert. I am shooting a Mathews vxr. I am shooting a 340 gold tip hunter. The points I have now are 125 Gr

My draw is 26.5 and 60# my arrows are 27” from center nock to insert. I am shooting a Mathews vxr. I am shooting a 340 gold tip hunter. The points I have now are 125 Gr
340's definitely have enough spine(stiffness) for your setup. I've shot gold tips since they came out and I haven't found a stronger arrow. 125 grain broadheads will be fine as long as your arrow is properly tuned and they are a durable broadhead. There are lots of folks who have gone back to heavier broadheads for penetration, 150-200 grains is not unheard of. Archerytalk.com has a good forum just for broadheads

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom