Asking the location of where they shot their animal

When I was a young buck my dad told me that if anyone asked where I shot my buck to tell them “on Cooper’s Knoll” years later I told a guy that and he replied “wow that must be a great place, Ive heard of a lot of nice deer that were killed there”.

Asking about the unit is all good but yeah, poor taste to ask for specifics. I have that opinion when people come on MM with the “I don’t want anyone’s honey hole” bit. That’s cool if you are asking for what unit to apply for but most of the time, people ARE wanting more specific info. Not a fan.

I think it depends on the person you're asking. Some of the guys I regularly hunt with, sure. I'd ask and expect the truth, because we hunt the same stands, and share trail cam pics. I'd tell them if it was the other way around.

Somebody I know well but don't necessarily hunt with, I'd ask, and expect a general answer, such as Catoosa WMA, or my brother's farm.

Somebody I only know from MM and have read a few posts, I'd ask/answer a more general question. Meaning Colorado, OTC. Or Arizona, and it took me 15 points to draw the tag.

And then there's the guy that posts asking for help with an area, You help him. And he calls you. And texts you. And e-mails you. And you share everything you know about the area, how to hunt it, opinions on the WMAs he's asking about. Everything except GPS coordinates of your last kill. And after he kills a nice one, he doesn't want to share which 5000 acre WMA he hunted.

I think it depends on the person you're asking. Some of the guys I regularly hunt with, sure. I'd ask and expect the truth, because we hunt the same stands, and share trail cam pics. I'd tell them if it was the other way around.

Somebody I know well but don't necessarily hunt with, I'd ask, and expect a general answer, such as Catoosa WMA, or my brother's farm.

Somebody I only know from MM and have read a few posts, I'd ask/answer a more general question. Meaning Colorado, OTC. Or Arizona, and it took me 15 points to draw the tag.

And then there's the guy that posts asking for help with an area, You help him. And he calls you. And texts you. And e-mails you. And you share everything you know about the area, how to hunt it, opinions on the WMAs he's asking about. Everything except GPS coordinates of your last kill. And after he kills a nice one, he doesn't want to share which 5000 acre WMA he hunted.
That’s his spot it’s rude of you to ask lol. What an ass.

Is like asking a guy if you can see his wife's titties...

Unsolicitied rant over...
So, May I?
I already have places to hunt.
Just razzin’ ya.

Yes it kind of is but some circumstances are different. Most LE hunters don’t mind since they’ll be a couple decades+++ before they can hunt there again, or once in a lifetime hunts.

Zeke

nuf said

120140540_10214559586902962_8612635284912589470_n.jpg

Natural question for someone to ask, but they shouldn't if offended for not saying. Hate the questions about "how much did that cost" none of your damn business.

Sooooo, what do you tell people about any animal you take.?

I expect a "whered you find that one?" question... and I always say the unit at least. Once they see it, they already know its size, probably the weapon... where it was is the next thing you'd talk about.

But, I don't have a honey hole, so I guess I don't know what its like to try and protect it from other public land hunters.

I do not believe asking what state is a bad thing, nor anywhere near asking to see their partners ****.

If it’s a “general unit” I get not telling them that. If it’s one of the never in a lifetime or once in a life time hunt units, I see no issues with not only asking the unit, but I will ask for more specific info. It’s not like you will be hunting the San Juan or the oak creek or Unitas goats again.

I have found it interesting that when women (non-hunters) ask you where you shot an animal, they're always asking about where in the body you hit it. When men ask, they always want the location it was killed. Therefore, if I woman asks me I tell them an area, and when men ask I point at a spot behind my shoulder... It frustrates them. I do like the analogy of the O.P., though.

Somewhat agree. I will take some good elk areas that are easy to draw to my grave. I will share my NV desert sheep kill site with anyone who is willing to ask. It has to do with how likely I or a friend will go there, and if the person asking is hard working.

I agree. I'm guessing your NV sheep hunt took years to draw and you're unlikely to draw it again.
Somewhat agree. I will take some good elk areas that are easy to draw to my grave. I will share my NV desert sheep kill site with anyone who is willing to ask. It has to do with how likely I or a friend will go there, and if the person asking is hard working.

Founder told me. I can't make someone feel bad for asking where an animal was killed. Even if they ask for GPS locations.

Asking about the unit is all good but yeah, poor taste to ask for specifics. I have that opinion when people come on MM with the “I don’t want anyone’s honey hole” bit. That’s cool if you are asking for what unit to apply for but most of the time, people ARE wanting more specific info. Not a fan.
I see it a bit different, I separate out helping a NR vs RES hunter. I never will post specific information on an online hunt forum but when I see a NR guys who doesn't have the means / resources to travel and do the leg work....I will help them . Its normally a once in a lifetime tag . I will have pertinent conversations on the phone so I can feel the person out so to speak.

I always tell everyone that asks!

And I’ll give y’all the same answer I give everyone else just to save your breath!

I kill em all on Notellum Ridge!

Now you never have to ask me again!

I always like the next question after you don’t tell them…

“So uh…..what’s the closest town to your hunting area?”

Me: “Notellum Town!”

The "behind the shoulder" statement works but usually they think you misunderstood the question so they ask again. I say "I shot it in the head". They are looking at a nice bull/buck or its picture and can tell that's not the case. A little smoke comes from the ears along with a twist of the head while they process that I am lying. No more questions. I like that part.

The "behind the shoulder" statement works but usually they think you misunderstood the question so they ask again. I say "I shot it in the head". They are looking at a nice bull/buck or its picture and can tell that's not the case. A little smoke comes from the ears along with a twist of the head while they process that I am lying. No more questions. I like that part.
So, uh….where’d you find and kill that buck in your avatar? Not asking for your honey hole, just exact location the buck died. (Asking for a friend that doesn’t hunt. He’s writing a paper on hunting trophy mule deer).

Yup, found that deer right next to that bush in the picture and it died right there after I shot it in the had.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom