Astoria Fishing In Late July, Early August?

iluvrax

I know this isn’t a fishing forum, but looking for advice/help.
I will be vacationing in the Seaside area in late July, early August. I’d like to get my 15 year boy into some good fishing for (sturgeon, salmon, tuna, halibut, etc.) Asking for recommendations that time of year, and guide service recommendations. We recently had a not so good experience on the cowlitz, and I’d just like him to have good opportunity…
He’s been asking a lot about sturgeon, but I’d like to catch something I can keep and eat! So wether it’s the Columbia or the ocean, any recommendations are greatly appreciated!!
Thanks in advance!!!

You might be a bit early for the Buoy 10 salmon fishing. I would suggest you go to ifsh.net That is a fishing website based in Oregon. Try posting your question in the forums.

I don't know if he still has any open seats on his boat but I would try to get ahold of the guide that goes by Big Game Fishing - he also owns the bait shop at the Hammond boat basin. He is probably the best guide on the river. Buoy 10 does open on August 1st and can be good but the ocean will be open earlier for salmon. And yes check on ifish that site will have some good info - plus Big Game posts there so you can get his email.

This years coho numbers look great. This will be a great time to start going after them. 2nd week of August is when things start happening. I have a guide i can recommend.

I don't know if he still has any open seats on his boat but I would try to get ahold of the guide that goes by Big Game Fishing - he also owns the bait shop at the Hammond boat basin. He is probably the best guide on the river. Buoy 10 does open on August 1st and can be good but the ocean will be open earlier for salmon. And yes check on ifish that site will have some good info - plus Big Game posts there so you can get his email.
Sorry, I’ve been busy…
Thank you! I’ll check them out.

This years coho numbers look great. This will be a great time to start going after them. 2nd week of August is when things start happening. I have a guide i can recommend.
That’s what I’ve been hearing…
Thanks for the response!
And yes, I would appreciate a guide recommendation as well.

Big Game fishing is a solid choice. He is located right out of hammond. Also Bryan Jones of take down guide service would be another solid choice.

Jody Mathers is a great guide there as well but he usually books up but it would not hurt to call. I have fished with him the last 3 years, mid July. First year we caught 80 sturgeon, second year we caught limits of salmon then went up river and caught 40 plus sturgeon, last year the water was super warm and the sturgeon fishing was tougher and we only caught about 40. All sturgeon fishing that time of year is catch and release. A catch and release sturgeon trip will be a incredible experience for your boy.

Jody Mathers is a great guide there as well but he usually books up but it would not hurt to call. I have fished with him the last 3 years, mid July. First year we caught 80 sturgeon, second year we caught limits of salmon then went up river and caught 40 plus sturgeon, last year the water was super warm and the sturgeon fishing was tougher and we only caught about 40. All sturgeon fishing that time of year is catch and release. A catch and release sturgeon trip will be a incredible experience for your boy.
Thank you. That does sound like a great time!

Back
Top Bottom