Attn: Az Sheep Hunters

H

Happyhunting

I made a suggestion to Rory Aikens of the Az game and fish to consider a separate muzzleloader only sheep hunt. I would like your input (pros and cons). If you support me in this endeavor, e-mail [email protected].

I'm not a resident but I think a Muzz only tag would decrease chances for the Muzz hunter. I know in Oregon muzz hunts for deer and elk are difficult to draw. It seems to me that most special interest tags have a high number of people who apply thus dramatically drecreasing the odds. The only advantage I can see for the muzz hunter is a more desirable date to hunt, not a better chance at drawing a tag. I think it would also increase dept. revenue by attracting muzz hunters and also the short term increase to draw odds in the general pool. Also, I think you would have to create a archery only sheep hunt. So, I would disagree with the concept if my thoughts are somewhat correct.
Jer

The primary archery or muzzleloader only season concept is to reduce hunting pressure so that you do not have to compete too much with rifle hunters. There are so few sheep tags that competition is not an issue. I do not see any purpose of a special season for tags as limited as sheep tags.

Bad call on that one. Be like the current guys and if you draw a tag use your muzzleloader or bow like the guys do now. No reason to take rifle oppertunities away from old men who have waited 45 plus odd years and helped 50 or more succesful sheep hunters on hunts hoping and praying they draw a tag one day. I also agree with Elmer on the hunting competition points. Most of the sheep hunts I have been on we have never even seen the other hunter.
Bret Mattausch

the only way I see it happening is if they have 2 seperate hunts. One for primative weapons, and a general hunt. But I have to go with the majority here and say it's probably not the best idea, considering the limited amount of tags. With a greater supply of tags for deer and elk, it's feasable, but not here!

My 2 rubles!

Scott G.

Almost every year the same suggestion is brought up by both ML'ers and archers. The response is always the same. NO! not enough tags. The reason I can see it might be feasible at some time in the future is that the success rate would be lower, so they could issue the same amount of tags and kill fewer rams.
What might be a possibilty is to limit it to primative ML'er only. No inlines, pellets, sabots, or scopes. I still don't think they will go for it though. Look for tag numbers to start dropping rapidly in the next few years. Unprecendented drought and too many lions!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom