Attn Coues Experts...

Q

Quail_Runner

This is my first coues hunt. I drew a Dec. Hunt in 35B. I have appreciated the advice on the area, now I have another question.

Question:
What rifle and load do you use? How long is the average shot (by your experience)?

Background:
I have heard about some taking shots upwards of 400 yards, but most are closer to 200 yards. I plan on hunting with .270 110gr HP, haven't settled on a powder yet, but most likely will use IMR 4831, Varget, R19, or XMR 4350. This will be my obsession for the next month or so.
I do have a .300 Win Mag, and I know that some use this for those long shots, but it just seems like to much for those tiny deer.

Thoughts?... And no, I am not in the market to purchase a different rifle... in case anyone asks:)

When I hunted coues with a rifle, I used a 30.06 with 150gr Nosler ballistic tip, 56.0gr of IMR 4350, 2880fps. If I had the choice between using a .270 or a .300 win mag. I would go with the win mag. just my pennies

I agree about the Win. Mag. The .270 would do fine, but you want to anchor that buck if you're confronted with that one LONG shot ...

Lv2hnt

I used a 7mm last year and my buddy used a 30-378. My shot was 375 and my buddy shot his at 100 yards. So you never no what the shot will be like. In 35b I would go with the 300 mag. Just in case.

Jeremy

Quail Runner,
I've chosen to use my .270 on a few coues hunts, but with 130 gr. Nosler ballistic tips pushed by IMR 4350. All three times the bullet exited with broadside shots behind the shoulder. On one buck, I had extensive bloodshot meat in the near shoulder, even though the bullet hit two inches behind the shoulder. This was a 250 yard shot. I would be hesitant to use the lightly constructed 110 HP just in case you have to go through the near shoulder or catch part of the paunch on angled shots. My shots have been from 50-475 yards, with 250-300 being the norm. The .270 shoots flat enough and has enough retained energy to well beyond 500 yards (too far for most of us to shoot).
Have fun reloading and good luck on the hunt. Let your eyes do the walking.

I am just a Spert, not an Expert but what I am using is a .257 Wby Mag and switched from 120 Nosler partitions that I used last year to 100 grain ballistic tips for this year.......

That is a awesome shooting rifle Bura. The guy I hunt with has killed well over 20 Coues Bucks. The ones he did not shoot with his bow were killed with his 257. Last year was the first time he used something other than that rifle.

Jeremy

Jeremy: I told my wife two years ago that I needed to get this gun "for my son" when he gets a little bigger. Well as you guessed it, I really wanted it. It shoots great and doesnt kick. I put that Swarovski A-line 6x18 scope on it and other than being heavy, I love the gun........

These little" deer are very tenacious!
Long cross canyon shots can blow a light bullit way off. They have a very small sweat spot.
A badly hit Coues will crawl in a hole & you'll never find it.
Why do all the top Coues hunters use bigger Cal.??? I've posted this info. many times.
PLEASE use the 130 in that .270 you will not be sorry.

Haven't been out in awhile, but I had a 7mm STW built just for hunting Coues whitetails. My load is about 72 grains of IMR 7828 behind a 150 grain Ballistic Tip: kills like a bolt out of the blue!

Venado muy grande!

Thanks for all the input. I do look forward to shooting several different loads. I think I will also load a heavier bullet in a nosler ballistic tip in my experiments.

Good Luck to all, see you at the range.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom