ATVs & Shed hunting

2_Point

Very Active Member
OK, I am sick of the shed hunter's ATV use/abuse I have seen in Wyoming and Utah, especially this year. Griding off sage range on a 4wheeler and riding roughshod over the habitat without concern is way out of control. I hiked quiet a bit latley only to find ATV tracks throughout sage flats. It is against the law in most states to ride off existing roads. I wish the BLM and local F&G could confiscate all ATVs that abuse the land in this manner.

HEY 2_Point

I DON'T SHED HUNT MUCH ANYMORE,IN FACT I'D HAVE TO TRIP ON AN ANTLER TO FIND ONE!!!

I AGRREE WITH YOU,SOME WON'T LIKE IT,I DON'T CARE!!!

IT'S ABOUT TIME THEY GET OFF THEIR LAZY A$$ES AND START CONFASCATING SOME A.T.V.'S!!!

THE ONLY bobcat WILLING TO FIX YOUR ATV ON THE PRIMITIVE FREE OF CHARGE!!!

I'm sick of them. I've been hitting areas that are closed to ATV's, waiting for that time of year to go in. The time comes to go in and what do I see, ATV tracks all over the place. Smashed Sage and other brush, they screw all of us in these areas that are only open to foot traffic. And Killing of the Winter Range!!! By the time it opens and you go in they have had there way with the area and destroyed the sage. I would like to see them patrol it more and drop heftier fines on them. After hiking 8 miles and seeing only ATV tracks is disheartening. They will ruin Shed hunting for all of us!

I ran into, or well, he almost ran into me, a guy out shed
hunting this spring, after the near hit and run, he just blasted down the ridge at 40 mph. never stopped to chat or anything.
What a #####.. Well the next time I was in the area I saw him again, he had no idea I was around and I watched him chase a bunch of deer about half a mile, one buck dropped a antler and
that gave them enough time to make it to the tall brush were he could not follow. I found his truck hidden in a draw that could not be seen from the road when he went to load his atv I made my move. He about Sh!t himself when I walked out of the brush behind him and said hello. This is the best part. I started chating with the guy and he flat told me that he chased the deer to get them to drop. I got his plat # and reported it and have not seen him since. It's nice to have the place to myself again.
I have had one of the best shed seasons yet. the bad thing is I
know he has matches to some of my new sheds, but oh well, he's
gone.

NVMDF

I get sick of illegal and unethical ATV use also. I carry a video camera now and although have not found any illegal activity yet, I will continue to haul around my camera.

Maybe its just me, but I feel those of us who don't use ATVs are in the minority now. As for the rest of the posts, you're preachin' to the choir.

It is refreshing to see others feel the same way. I really wish they'd confiscate the ATVs and sell them at auction. It makes shed hunting less fun when you run into tracks across the sage. Seems that shed hunting has become a "Status" symbol anymore, it sure is a lot different today as opposed to 10-15 years ago. Too competative.

2_Point and rest,

I have posted this a couple of times, but you are not alone. As I am sure you are all aware, but I will repeat just in case. The best thing to do is keep you cell phone with you and get the names of your BLM officers and call them when you see a violation. I have been told that the G&F officers can not give tickets if they are just riding off road. They can give them tickets if they are harming wildlife. There are others on this site that say this is not true, but my information comes from G&F and BLM officers. The G&F manage the wildlife and the BLM manage the land. Either way I call them both. Sometimes they do nothing and other time they go out of their way. In some areas that have a patch work of private and public land it gets difficult since they can do nothing if it is on private even if the offenders have not permission from the landowner. Either way I call the division and requested each person cell phone number and email address (to follow up with). I have these for parts of Wyoming that I will share if you send me an email [email protected]. I hope this helps, but we need to help these guys as they are spread VERY thin. Also I alway write down the truck and trailer plate #s, description at the road in case I see them later on in the day so I have the information. We do have to stop this as it will only hurt us and then it will be to late. Happy horn hunting.

BearCat

2_Point and rest,

I have posted this a couple of times, but you are not alone. As I am sure you are all aware, but I will repeat just in case. The best thing to do is keep you cell phone with you and get the names of your BLM officers and call them when you see a violation. I have been told that the G&F officers can not give tickets if they are just riding off road. They can give them tickets if they are harming wildlife. There are others on this site that say this is not true, but my information comes from G&F and BLM officers. The G&F manage the wildlife and the BLM manage the land. Either way I call them both. Sometimes they do nothing and other time they go out of their way. In some areas that have a patch work of private and public land it gets difficult since they can do nothing if it is on private even if the offenders have not permission from the landowner. Either way I call the division and requested each person cell phone number and email address (to follow up with). I have these for parts of Wyoming that I will share if you send me an email [email protected]. I hope this helps, but we need to help these guys as they are spread VERY thin. Also I alway write down the truck and trailer plate #s, description at the road in case I see them later on in the day so I have the information. We do have to stop this as it will only hurt us and then it will be to late. Happy horn hunting.

BearCat

I have 2 responces. One being I get all bummed out when I see any tracks in my haunts, regardless of 4 tires or 2 feet, in fact It bumms me out more to see the foot tracks. People on foot find way more tine than folks on the four wheelers. Dont get me wrong. I see PURE LAZY SLOB when I see 4 wheeler tracks. Secondly I have had game wardens come and check the tread on my 4 wheeler to see if I was the one tearin $#!+ up , of course it was not and I led him to the pecker head that it was, who also I spotted trying to arrow turkeys out of season. Too bad I drive a diesel. They may not have been able to hear my truck and I could have got my video of these sorry turds.

Shedcrazy

I'm sick and tired of the lazy bastages too! I do have a four wheeler but I only use it on the farm, not for hunting! My cousin popped the tires on some s.o.b.'s a.t.v. last year. The idiot was in a wilderness area about 5 miles from the closest road. The guy had to hike his sorry ass out and pack in 4 new tires. It's not something that I would have done, but I was supprised that he had the balls to do it. Do ya think that the guy learned a lesson? I hope so.

I quit shed hunting on the public land in my area just because it gets so much atv traffic. Major bummer.

red

ABOUT THE ONLY LESSON THEY LEARN AFTER SOMETHING LIKE THAT HAPPENS IS THAT NOW THEY DON'T DARE PARK THEIR WHEELER ANYWHERE AND WHEN THEY SEE SOMEBODY THEY REALLY HAUL ASS!!!

I GUESS WHEN EVERYTHING IS COMPLETELY DESTROYED BY THESE LOWLIFE BASTARDS THE FOREST SERVICE MIGHT STEP IN AND DO SOMETHING!!!

I DO FREE TUNEUPS AND MAKE FREE REPAIRS ON THE PRIMITIVE!!!

THE AGGITATED bobcat!!!

First we had to worry about people developing our winter range.

Second: we have to worry about poeple chasing deer on the winter range.

Third : we got to worry about harsh winter conditions with little range left.

NOW we got to worry about habitat damage done by atvs. Ofcourse i oppose atvs

Were is the winter range going to be in 10 years?????

later, MM

later, MM

I'm sick of those lazy a$$ f%^%&*$ too. I was just out yesterday and it had rained in the morning and those worthless loosers wouldn't even ride down the main road because it was to slick. There tracks were off the side of the main road for about 4 miles then tore up the sage and other vegetation off in the boonies. I shed hunt only were atv's can't go, I wish that wasn't the case but they ruin it for everyone else. I'm not your stereo typical enviromentalist, but I guess most of us hunters are enviromentalist and/or conservationist and seeing what these rat bastards are doing just pisses me off to no end. I guess the best thing we can do is turn them in and write our blm or forest service people and express our concerns.

Jer

HEY Jer

THAT MIGHT BE THE BEST THING TO DO BUT IT'S NOT THE ONLY THING WE SHOULD DO!!!

I WENT OUT A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO,ON A PRETTY NICE CHUNK OF GROUND TO DO SOME WORK ON SOME GUZZLERS,I COULD SEE MOTORCYCLE TRACKS FOUR WHEELER TRACKS,THREE WHEELER TRACKS,EVERYWHERE,NEW TRACKS,OLD TRACKS,TRACKS THAT WOULD OF PUSHED ANY GAME OUT 2 MONTHS BEFORE THEY DROP EM,THE AREA IS FLAT ASS CLOSED TO ANY KIND OF WHEELERS OFF ROAD!!!

NO,I'M NOT MAD BECAUSE I DIDN'T FIND ANY SHEDS,I KNEW I WOULDN'T FIND ANY BEFORE I LEFT THE HOUSE!!!

UNBELIEVABLE HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE GOT INTO SHED HUNTING THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS,THEY BUY 3 TO 4 FOURWHEELERS,START PUSHING GAME AROUND 2 TO 3 MONTHS BEFORE THEY SHOULD EVEN BE THINKING ABOUT IT,GO TEAR THE HELL OUT OF EVERYTHING,THEN PISS AND MONE BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T FIND ANY SHEDS,THESE IDIOTS ARE JUST LIKE {MOST} NEW HOUNDSMEN,THROW A DOG BOX IN THE BACK AND THEY ARE PRO'S THE NEXT DAY!!!

LET'S JUST START DOING MORE TUNE UPS,BAD THING IS MOST OF THESE LOWLIFES ARE SO LAZY THEY WON'T EVEN GET OFF THEIR WHEELER LONG ENOUGH TO TAKE A WIZZ!!!

WELL THAT OUGHT TO BE ENOUGH TO MAKE SOMEBODY MAD!!!

THE ONLY bobcat HUNTING ON THE PRIMITIVE WITH SPARK PLUG WIRES IN HIS BACK POCKET!!!

Well I'll be damned I guess I do have ONE advantage living here in Kalifornia.Where I shed hunt most of the winter range is too rugged for quads and bikes.I like the rugged terrain because most of the areas I shed hunt I have to myself :) ALOT of people I talk to while hunting say they would like to shed hunt but the truth is most of them are too lazy to actually do it.

I have alway thought that atvs are a piss poor way to find sheds. last year I found a 174 gross whitetail head that lots of people on Atvs were driving right by. It was only 25 yards from a old road with lots of atv tracks on it but if you were siting on your butt you couldn't see it but if you were standing on the path it was in plain sight. I have always felt that most of the big antlers are in places that are too rough for atvs so last night I did a little research in my records. In SE Mt. (not the roughest place in the west) only 33% of my big sheds were from a place that a person on a atv could easily drive too. Many of these sheds were in arias that were closed to atvs or only accessable by atv if you crossed private land. another 29% were found in places that would be difficult to get an atv but you could do it if you worked at it. And the rest of the sheds that would be imposible to find if you were afraid of walking or riding a horse. The sheds I have found in the mountains of Co and ID, 80% of the big sheds couldn't have been found by setting on a atv. Maybe this is because I like the steep and rocky country but then so do the big bucks.
antlerradar

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom