Austin and Halleck Muzzleloader advice

hawkbill

Very Active Member
I have the oppurtunity to make a trade or buy this muzzleloader, it’s has never been fired, has a Christensen Arms carbon fiber barrel, 50 cal. I do not know a lot about muzzle loaders and would like to here pros and cons about this rifle. What is it worth. Thank You

D717A97C-6E55-48B4-A756-7F81A644A6F4.jpeg

507D7F22-DE42-400A-9464-55EC7EF45329.jpeg

8B106C50-E35E-4285-A5FC-3CBED4C72FDB.jpeg

Looks nice. Never had one but met a guy years ago hunting with one. Very good quality. Back then I heard it was the Cadillac of muzzleloaders.

I believe it shoots #11 caps and there is a conversion to shoot 209 primers. It is not legal in Idaho on a muzzle loader tag, but I believe it is legal in Nevada and Colorado with open sights

It might be legal in Idaho. The guy I mentioned I meet on a late hunt out of Saint Charles. I think his cap was exposed when the rifle was cocked. Similar to the White rifles.

Well it sounds like you have some options, depending on where you are hunting. I would get that 209 conversion just in case you need it. The blackhorn/209 combo is hard to beat, but pyrodex and #11 caps are also a pretty solid combo. I've killed many elk and deer with both combos over the years. I personally like Parker bullets, my muzzys all shoot them moa or better at 100 yds. I also prefer to shoot loose powder weighed on a scale, instead of measured by volume.

That gun looks sweet, get out and report back on how it shoots.

I had an Austin Halleck once upon a time. It was a pretty good gun. My only complaint was it misfired on a regular. The firing pin is not a great design. If it got gummed up or really cold it would not strike the primer hard enough to set it off. I can still remember a good 175 type deer that stood there long enough to listen to my gun go “click”... then laughed at me as he bounced away haha. Mine did come set up for a 209 primer.

as for the barrel I’m sure it’s a the factory barrel that has been wrapped by Christensen. Back in their younger days they used to offer a carbon wrap service. Back then most of their guns were modified existing factory rifles.

its a rare/cool gun none the less. But I wouldn’t spend a ton on it, as there are better guns to be had now days.

if you’re interested in a custom muzzleloader shoot me a PM and I can get you set up with a guy that builds them.

Thank you very much for your input, I’m not really in the market to build one right now. It sure looked like a nice muzzleloader and very well built, there is just not a lot of great input on them. In fact most remarks say stay away from the Provo built rifles.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom