AZ 18a deer

K

kc (Guest)

I got an 18a deer tag this year. I am open for stories
from 18a deer hunters..how many deer did you see? what kind
of deer...how did you hunt? was it hard to find a place to
hunt? I read that it is.. have you seen any really big bucks?
can you give me any areas to check out? I am not going scouting
till it cools off a little.. come on someone get me pumped up
for 18a.. 25 AZ years old and lookin for my 11th AZ mule deer
buck. any stories or info would be nice...
kc

KC:
Sorry about your bad luck drawing an 18A tag. Folks in Kingman call it a "expensive camping permit."
There are some big bucks in this unit, but it is extremly hard to find them. Look in the Silver Creek area for a buck, any buck. Like my friend used to say,"A keeper buck in 18A is one that has enough bone on its head to make a knife handle!"
The old timers who know where to go find some good bucks, but look at the hunt success, it was 14% in 2002 and 14% in 2001. Yikes, you got a better chance of hitting one while traveling I-40 than shooting one.
Wished I could be more help, but just not of western Arizona's better deer units. If I had a choice between an 18A deer tag and to go coyote hunting, I take the coyote hunt. At least I'd have a chance to see something...
Next time, apply for Unit 16A and go shoot you a fat forkie!

AWO,
Are you the guide that guided that hunter to a real toad very near Alamo lake a couple years back?

I own a ranch in 18A. The lack of hunting success comes from the lack of hunters with experiance. I can tell you, I see shooter buck in there all the time, you just have to know where to look. Find water holes that have been maintained through the summer. There are about 5 that I know of that have had water all summer.

Drop me an e-mail and I can give you a little more detail.

Archerelk

KC, are you sure you need help? Looks like you've shot one every year in Az. since you where 14. Maybe you should give us some tips.

Start your scouting efforts around the Truxton Flat-Walkover Mine area. My second choice hunt area would be the Juniper Mountains. Hike in 2 or so miles sit down on a high point and glass. After 45 minutes to an hour, if you don't see anything move to another vantage point. Make sure to check waterholes and creeks for tracks so you know deer are using a particular area.

Hey Archerelk, I usually hunt 16a since I live in Lake Havasu, I would love some info as well about 18A, I was thinking about going up there for the opener of archery...thank you for any help

Send me an email, I am more then happy to share info, but not in public. I have had good luck during archery in there so to speak. 2 years ago passed about 6 inferior bucks, last year shot a nice 3x3, was the 1st animal I couldnt recover, thats a long story. Drop me an e-mail, I will give you my phone number so we can talk.

Archerelk

Hey thanks for all the info guys..
I have been gone a few days and have not checked my messages.. I put in for 18a second choice because of good drawing odds. I was aware of low hunt success.. My favorite units to hunt deer is 39,
41,40a so I am used to low hunt success statistics..all my deer have come from these units exept one from 12b... A hard deer hunt alaways makes me happy when do get my deer... hey archerelk whats your email? thanks KC

In reply to not seeing any deer in 18b you should try 17b if you know where you are going. I live 60-miles from any where and have the equipment to do so guarnteed to get a buck its is a primative hunt but you wil enjoy it contact me a dos-ess2juno.com not a professional just would like to make some friends'am 51 yrs young but that doesn,t matter just like to get the big ones.Thanks alot BUCKBUSTER

I own a ranch in 18A. The lack of hunting success comes from the lack of hunters with experiance. I can tell you, I see shooter buck in there all the time, you just have to know where to look. Find water holes that have been maintained through the summer. There are about 5 that I know of that have had water all summer.

Drop me an e-mail and I can give you a little more detail.

Archerelk
Hello. I know its been a LOT of years but do you still own the ranch and have you been seeing anything? We have hunted so hard and have seen everything but deer. Thank you!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom