AZ 19 points ideas?

DonVathome

Very Active Member
I have 19 now, 20 for next year. I am looking for a good chance at a 180 mule deer. I do not mind waiting 5 years. I am not even looking to draw for 3 or 4 years. Ideas? This is my last chance at a good mule deer unit anywhere - no (or very few) points in CO or WY. Muzzleloader or rifle and time of year.

Would have to be NR as 19-20 points as a res would just about guarantee any tag he wants in the next 2-3 years. As a NR 19-20 points is a tough spot. Not enough for any of the top tier units for rifle but maybe good for archery strip tag in the next 5 years. Next option is 3c deer but that's hit and miss for 180+ bucks. Always a few out there but not a lot.

Would have to be NR as 19-20 points as a res would just about guarantee any tag he wants in the next 2-3 years. As a NR 19-20 points is a tough spot. Not enough for any of the top tier units for rifle but maybe good for archery strip tag in the next 5 years. Next option is 3c deer but that's hit and miss for 180+ bucks. Always a few out there but not a lot.
Yeah I feel like the magazines and outfitters work together to push certain units in certain states that fit the bill for clients in certain point tiers and that’s what creates that demand. Once every few years a nice buck will come out of 3c but that could be said for really any unit in AZ including OTC archery units. If you look on the show low guides websites, I honestly have a hard time finding many of those long armed photos that are over 180, maybe a few bucks on the entire website. I’d argue their average bucks are 150-165. Which is a buck you can kill on your own in public land in a whole heck of a lot of places you can hunt every year.

You should have a good chance 12AW or 12BW late hunts. Both will provide what you are looking for. I’m a resident and applied in that order with 16 points this year.

With 20 points going into next year, last time I looked i think he would have @70 folks tied or ahead of him for a late 12AW or 12BW tag. Going to be more than 5 years unless he hits a random. Don't have time now but I'll double check my memory on those numbers.

I got lucky and drew 13b archery as a NR with 14 points in 2019. I would think with your points that would be the unit I’d be putting in for ?

Greetings Don, I looked up actual numbers of guys that are either tied or ahead of you Appling for the late rifle hunts going into 2021 with 20 points. I am in similar situation with 21 points . Bare in mind in both 12aw and 12bw there are 3 tags guaranteed to the highest point holders and a total of 7 tags so 4 tags are alloted in the random. I could be wrong but I think this is the way it works .
12aw has 115 folks tied or ahead of you.
12bw has 83 folks tied or ahead.
Hope this helps and gives you a better perspective of our odds in drawing the Kaibab.

Greetings Don, I looked up actual numbers of guys that are either tied or ahead of you Appling for the late rifle hunts going into 2021 with 20 points. I am in similar situation with 21 points . Bare in mind in both 12aw and 12bw there are 3 tags guaranteed to the highest point holders and a total of 7 tags so 4 tags are alloted in the random. I could be wrong but I think this is the way it works .
12aw has 115 folks tied or ahead of you.
12bw has 83 folks tied or ahead.
Hope this helps and gives you a better perspective of our odds in drawing the Kaibab.
It’s up to 3 tags. And up to 7 tags. No guarantee I believe.

You can draw 12aw early. I hunted it in 2019. Killed a 190 buck after eight days of hunting. Was after another buck in that range that I could not connect on but saw him several times. Missed an absolute stud of a buck. Saw a couple big bucks that were killed. A buddy of mine hunted the same hunt last year and killed a 190 buck also. I know everyone wants the late hunt but the unit is really good right now and you could draw it this year. DOW at the check station told me that a lot of big bucks had been checked in with one going 34" wide. You have to hunt hard and stay at it. I had 13 points and I'm 58 years old so holding out for later seasons or 13 tags wasn't happening for me. It was an absolutely a great hunt. Just wish I could do it again.

I think you should combine your 19 points with my 8 and we can apply for, well, I don't know, but I'm sure I can think of something! :D :D

Seriously, good luck and kill a big 'un when you decide to cash in!

I have 19 now, 20 for next year. I am looking for a good chance at a 180 mule deer. I do not mind waiting 5 years. I am not even looking to draw for 3 or 4 years. Ideas? This is my last chance at a good mule deer unit anywhere - no (or very few) points in CO or WY. Muzzleloader or rifle and time of year.
I am in the same boat as you, Are your going guided if pulled? I put in for 13b rifle & 12 aw late. Not budging on my pics. I archery hunt but I want to be able to sling led after waiting this long. Last time I hunted in Az was 12 aw early 2003. Man how time flies. Good Luck!

I am in the same boat as you, Are your going guided if pulled? I put in for 13b rifle & 12 aw late. Not budging on my pics. I archery hunt but I want to be able to sling led after waiting this long. Last time I hunted in Az was 12 aw early 2003. Man how time flies. Good Luck!
I hope you’re young. Gonna have to hope for guys to die and to outlive them as you are probably another 15+ years from commanding either of those tags.

You can draw 12aw early. I hunted it in 2019. Killed a 190 buck after eight days of hunting. Was after another buck in that range that I could not connect on but saw him several times. Missed an absolute stud of a buck. Saw a couple big bucks that were killed. A buddy of mine hunted the same hunt last year and killed a 190 buck also. I know everyone wants the late hunt but the unit is really good right now and you could draw it this year. DOW at the check station told me that a lot of big bucks had been checked in with one going 34" wide. You have to hunt hard and stay at it. I had 13 points and I'm 58 years old so holding out for later seasons or 13 tags wasn't happening for me. It was an absolutely a great hunt. Just wish I could do it again.
The hunt is no where close to what it was like in the late 80s and early 90s. On the early archery hunts, if you got into the right spot, we would find a couple of groups of 5-12 bucks each day and at least a few of them were absolute giants.

The hunt is no where close to what it was like in the late 80s and early 90s. On the early archery hunts, if you got into the right spot, we would find a couple of groups of 5-12 bucks each day and at least a few of them were absolute giants.
Nothing is like it was 30 years ago, and this assessment could be used for any number or virtually all Mule deer areas in the west.

Thanks guys, I do not mind waiting another 5 years. I am open for archery, I am a NR. I would hunt DIY. For archery I would be happy to sit waterholes -a lot. I am patient and like the quality shot opportunity it offers. That said finding water from Ohio is going to be tough. Lots of cyber scouting. 160 is good enough for any weapon.

Trail Cameras are illegal in AZ starting 2022. Picking a random water in 13a/13b and killing a big buck will be harder. However it’s a long archery season, around 3 weeks. Don’t leave early after a 25 year wait.

I heard a rumor about trail cams, I think it is a good idea - it really can help take game IMO, your thoughts?

I've thought about the 13B archery tag as well. I now have 24 pts after another swing and miss this year for late Kaibab rifle. My concern is: How many other hunters will be sitting the same water-hole as you? Anyone??

Without trail cams starting in 2022 I think the Archery Strip tags are going to be risky to have for higher point holders even with a guide. A late tag would be ideal, but drawing will never be a guarantee. I would be considering the 12a early rifle, or 3a/3c hunts.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom