AZ Archery bull

chipc

Very Active Member
Not the biggest I saw by any means but he looked just fine on day 12. Really a slow start to the rut - hot and dry - but it picked up nicely the last 4 or 5 days. no mid - day action but we had 'em going every morning and evening. We ended up going 3 for 4 on nice 270 -300 inch type bulls. It was a mid - tier type unit and we were looking for a fun hunt with mature bulls - not necessarily top end trophies. We got just what we were looking for. At 63 its a tough pill to swallow knowing its likely the last AZ hunt for me. Great memories though and thanks to several good folks on here and in Arizona that helped me. Chip
AZ bull.jpg

Hello chipc,
Congrats on a fine Bull. If your hunt was anything like ours, you definetly earned him!
We just returned from our AZ Archery Elk hunt in unit 7E. I was there from 9/9 -9/25 & I did not hear one single elk bugle! I am an avid elk caller and this was in an area where they have always been very vocal and we have been very successful in past years.
My son had a missed opportunity opening morning on a 5 X 6 that came in silent, and that was the only chance anyone in our group had. We hunted every day in the pinion/ juniper country! I can see from your photo that we should have moved to a higher elevation. I was along as a caller/ camp cook/ unofficial guide. I think I may be demoted to Camp Cook only!
I understand what you mean on the age thing! I'm 64 & between the time it takes to draw the dang tag, and my physical condition, I'm not sure how many more of these hunts I have left. Glad to hear you were finally able to get some action. Again, congrats on a fine Bull.

Elkchaser

Thanks. Holy crap. Not even a bugle ? Sorry to hear that Elkchaser. Most of my intel said to make sure to try the lower PJ country. However, I think it was so dry and hot that most moved to the higher elevation in the southern part of our unit. We looked high and low in the PJs the first few days. Not one bugle and very little sign. So we headed south up the hill and it got better. Cooler and more water. There were more hunters down there too but we managed to work around them.

Thanks. Holy crap. Not even a bugle ? Sorry to hear that Elkchaser. Most of my intel said to make sure to try the lower PJ country. However, I think it was so dry and hot that most moved to the higher elevation in the southern part of our unit. We looked high and low in the PJs the first few days. Not one bugle and very little sign. So we headed south up the hill and it got better. Cooler and more water. There were more hunters down there too but we managed to work around them.
Well, you know hunting! I usually try to keep the faith in the plan and stick to it. I kept thinking it will "turn on" any day if we just hang in there. Clearly, I blew that call this year. I guess thats why they call it hunting.
Again, congrats on a fine Bull & keep applying. We met a non resident who drew the same tag last year! Who knows what the future is going to bring.

Chip,

Congrats again on the awesome bull and probably an even greater time with friends. As the years evolve it becomes more and more about the experience.

I would like to echo what Chip said about some of the quality people on the site that are willing to help and give some suggestions or share experiences at times. In the last couple years I have been helped out and have given advice on places that I’m going or have been.

Thanks for sharing your experience Chip!

HEY CHIP, LOOKS LIKE YOU DID REALLY WELL. THATS A GOOD LOOKING BULL FOR SURE. LOOKS LIKE I MIGHT DRW ELK IN 2021 WITH THE POINTS I HAVE. CONGRATS..................YD.

Congratulations on your success. Looks like it even died on an old logging road. What more can you ask for?
HAHA... Good catch huntazido. Yep, died right smack in the middle of the old road. Drove the pickup right up to it ! First time in 12 different bulls :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom