AZ bulls with locked horns - sad ending

huntazido

I came across these two bulls last weekend of August while archery deer hunting. The one bull had been dead for at least a couple of days. AZ G&F decided not to tranquilize because he was too weak and would die for sure. No matter, we had to try something or he would have died an even slower more painful death. Mother nature can be pretty cruel sometimes.

If anyone wonders why someone didn't jump in sooner you would understand if you actually saw the water and smelled it from the dead bull. It was absolutely terrible and I about lost it while I was in the water.

I commend you for jumping in...those officers imho were pretty chicken sh!t. Did their moms tell them not to get dirty at work that day?

Traditional >>>------->

Hmmm? Seemed preventable to me for that one that was alive. Why didn't they run a noose around that dead bull's leg and attach it to the truck to begin with? Then use that as an anchor point? Standing there with a bullet proof vest on is not gonna do much.

I wasn't there but the fact that it drowned after being scared into the deeper water is not what I thought was gonna happen after the first 2 clips.

"That's a special feeling, Lloyd"

What a bunch of worthless game wardens! Lets just stand around and let an exhausted elk drown itself while we scare the hell out of it. I give you props for making an effort to save the young bull, those game wardens should be put behind a desk where their nancy asses belong. Totally avoidable outcome. Seems to me the bull could have been tranquilized and would have made a fine recovery, for hells sake he had plenty of energy to thrash around in the water carrying an extra five to six hundred pounds of bloated waterlogged carcass.

good on ya for taking the initiative and trying to save that bulls life. i love the part when you grab the noose stick from the officer and he stands there like an idiot! unfortunate outcome.

"Shoot Straight"

As was said already, when it was observed the bull had plenty of energy to avoid the officers, they should have had the sense to use vehicle and rope or tow chain as anchor point , or at least drag the elk clear of the water. He possibly could have injured himself, but he would still be alive. :(

What a depressing end to an unfortunate situation...cant believe the excuse for help you got or didn't get. Congrats on trying and doing the right thing. You'd been better off with help from fellow hunters. I always have a sawzall in camp...

>Arizona Game and fish what a
>bunch of wusses

No schitt - those guys, especially the one with short hair and the white shirt and all the schitt in his duty belt just standing there with his hands on his #####.. What a tool.

Good crap. Worthless game wardens.. don't get your boots dirty boys..

WTH.. like others have stated, why in the hell didn't they hook up the dead bull to the truck to begin with then tranq the one that was alive or at least rope its feet get it down and cut his antlers off.

I've seen citizens work harder to free wildlife than those putz'!

Pretty sad display by the authorities!! Great job huntazido for trying to save that bull. I can't believe fish & game just stood there doing nothing especially the guy on the left looked like he didn't want to get a drop of mud on his boots!!!

You know who the real puzzies are????

YOU WEINERS for crying about nature taking its course!!

You won't find any officer, be it F&G/DNR/DWR, saving the life of an animal while risking his own.

How would you like to be his supervisor and having to explain to his wife and kids that he was killed because he decided to go swimming with an 800 pound pizzed off and scared bull elk...

Go cry a river! and drown another elk in it.

Fish & game wouldn't have risked their lives at all!! All they had to do was shoot it with a tranquilizer gun cut the horns & walk away!!! If the bull survived great, if not then at least
they did something other than stand there. Its not about letting nature take its course its about not letting that animal sit there and suffer. Travis I guess you are just a tougher guy than the rest on this post!!!!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-13-13 AT 08:55AM (MST)[p]Hummm. ?Puzzies? for giving a damn about suffering that could be avoided? You are too close to the situation to offer rational unbiased comments methinks.

In some ways I agree . . . officers who do not have the mental capacity to have the foresight to have the sawzall nearby (rather than up the hill, in a truck, with time taken to retrieve it AFTER the bulls head is under water), and bring nothing more than a couple noose poles to pull two animals up and out of water have NO BUISINESS attempting such work. Such lack of planning and forethought is what leads to the high probability of getting hurt.

Perhpas a desk job is a better fit for those with such lack of planning.

Call us Puzzies all you want but the fact of the matter is those guys were jokes. I cant speak for rescuing an elk but I've done my share at cutting deer from barbed wire and yes its a bit intense but you can certainly do better that stand around and do NOTHING. Mother Nature takes her course but there's not a damn thing wrong with trying to help our wildlife in any situation.

"I'll see you all this coming fall in the Big Rock Candy Mountains!"

>
>You know who the real puzzies
>are????
>
>
>YOU WEINERS for crying about nature
>taking its course!!
>
>
>
>You won't find any officer, be
>it F&G/DNR/DWR, saving the life
>of an animal while risking
>his own.
>
>
>How would you like to be
>his supervisor and having to
Oft
>explain to his wife and
>kids that he was killed
>because he decided to go
>swimming with an 800 pound
>pizzed off and scared bull
>elk...
>
>
>
>
>Go cry a river! and drown
>another elk
Would have just been nature taking its course I he would of drowned trying

Bunch of internet hero's on here. Your not to far from the anti's point of view when you start putting the life of an animal over a person. Then again, it's been going on for years here. It's seems to point to a deeper issue with the law.:)

Absolutely in my opinion a bunch of Puzys. Don't give me the crap about you weren't there or the water smelled bad. whatever. The elk should've been tranquilized from the get go. but then again, AzG$F wouldn't have been able to sell them two racks at their auction.... these dbags stood around like wussies and no one wanted to get dirty and that's a fact.

not saying they needed to risk their lives to save the elk, but wish they would have just shot him so they didn't have to sit there and let it suffer.

My intention was to show my fellow hunters something that I witnessed and went through. What happened was a rare sight and it reminds me how cruel mother nature can be. This in no was was an attempt to embarass G&F.

I have no complaints with game and fish. When we were talking before we started I mentioned to one of the G&F officers that if it was me I would take of my belt and vest because he may end up in the water. His comment to me was he wanted it on because he didn't want to get stuck with and antler. He wanted the added protection.

Hind sight is always 20/20. Knowing how things end up, I'm sure they would have tried something else. No elk is worth a human life.

They offered me horns from both racks but I said no thanks. I did keep the horn that he cut off. They removed antlers and took them.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom