AZ Coues 35A & 35B

3TOE

Very Active Member
I know I drew a Coues tag this year either for 35A or 35B. I was hoping a few of you that have hunted the area could post a few pictures of your harvests so I can get a general idea of what to expect. I have never Coues hunted before, so I don’t suspect I will be too picky. I would just prefer to harvest an adult mature buck. Thanks in advance!

There’s piles of Coues down in that country. What’s the dates of your hunt?
I don’t know which unit I drew yet so I also don’t know the dates. It will either be the end of October or the beginning of November. My CC got hit for the tags & I only applied for Coues. 35A was my first & second choices then 35B for my 3rd choice.

Expect lots of company. Expect very warm temps, and deer movement only early and very late, if at all. There are Deer from the desert floor all the way to the highest elevations. If you want to have a chance at a bigger buck, hunt either higher or lower than the crowd.

The bucks will be almost exclusively in the thicker, shaded side hills and they keep a very small range…. Like very small. Glass into the sun until your eyeballs fall out of your skull. When you think you’ve looked at a hillside long enough, look longer.

Good luck!

Expect lots of company. Expect very warm temps, and deer movement only early and very late, if at all. There are Deer from the desert floor all the way to the highest elevations. If you want to have a chance at a bigger buck, hunt either higher or lower than the crowd.

The bucks will be almost exclusively in the thicker, shaded side hills and they keep a very small range…. Like very small. Glass into the sun until your eyeballs fall out of your skull. When you think you’ve looked at a hillside long enough, look longer.

Good luck!
I sincerely appreciate the advice. I just learned that I drew 35A first season.Would you happen to have any pictures of what a fairly good buck would look like? A buddy of mine said anything over 75” is a shooter, but I honestly have no clue what a 75” Coues looks like. I have hunted whitetail since I was a kid back east & in MS we have relatively small deer. Even there, I wouldn’t personally ever shoot a deer that size. I’m really excited for this hunt!!!

They are VERY small deer (100 lbs on the hoof). Most bucks will grow 3 main points, and eyeguards (Eastern 8 pointer). Anything beyond that is icing on the cake. Google and you can see hundreds of photos of bucks. Ear wide, and 3 points on a side is the mark.

With the heat, it may be a bit of a grinder of a hunt. If you see a buck that you like, I’d shoot and not worry about score. It’s really the ultimate deer hunting chess match.

You will learn quickly how good your glassing skills are. It’s the land of the 15’s on Tripods. Even if you’re not running big glass, a good set up 10’s on a sturdy tripod is a must.

They are VERY small deer (100 lbs on the hoof). Most bucks will grow 3 main points, and eyeguards (Eastern 8 pointer). Anything beyond that is icing on the cake. Google and you can see hundreds of photos of bucks. Ear wide, and 3 points on a side is the mark.

With the heat, it may be a bit of a grinder of a hunt. If you see a buck that you like, I’d shoot and not worry about score. It’s really the ultimate deer hunting chess match.

You will learn quickly how good your glassing skills are. It’s the land of the 15’s on Tripods. Even if you’re not running big glass, a good set up 10’s on a sturdy tripod is a must.
Thanks for the response. From that I gather that any buck with a structured rack is a shooter. ?? I don’t plan on being too picky, but having never seen one other than online I just don’t know what to expect. It appears that most every buck that I find pictures of online are all mature or trophy class. I just don’t want to have an unrealistic expectation to what an average buck is.

Not to hyjack your thread 3TOE, but I got drawn for 35B Nov 27 - Dec 4 and would appreciate any help anyone wants to provide. :)

I'm from NM and not new to Coues hunting, but have never been to that area. Really looking forward to it. Have not had a chance to hunt the grey ghost for 5 years.

Not to hyjack your thread 3TOE, but I got drawn for 35B Nov 27 - Dec 4 and would appreciate any help anyone wants to provide. :)

I'm from NM and not new to Coues hunting, but have never been to that area. Really looking forward to it. Have not had a chance to hunt the grey ghost for 5 years.
No worries at all man! Congratulations on your tag & I wish you luck. ?? I’m there with you, I’ve never hunted them either, I’m pretty excited.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom