AZ Deer Draw

Bates7

Do ya wanna cheat to see if you got drawn? Go to the G&F web site and check your BP's. A buddy of mine did this and found that his points were wiped clean. So he got drawn. He doesn't know for what unit though. I checked mine and evidently they got to my clan yet because we have a rookie on the app and when we enter hi S.S. # & B-day there is no record of him.

They usually don't update website points till some time after... But while on this, anyone remember when they actually came out with results last year? I'm pretty sure it was in July, 2-3 weeks ahead of what they say(said) on the website.

Although the application deadline has passed, I didn't think the drawing actually occurred until July. My checks didn't get cashed until June 17, 8 days after the deadline on June 9. I hope the timing of the check cashing doesn't mean I goofed up on something.

The results generally post about six weeks after the application deadline. Elk / Antelope apps were due Feb 10th and results posted March 26th by phone (if you could get thru). You do the math.

In all the years AZGF has been doing a big game draw with the app date the second Tue of June, the results have posted around the third week of July. I don't think this year will be any different. My guess is the results will post around July 23rd, so we have a few more weeks to wait.

AZGF updated big game points after the elk / antelope results were postd and they may have inadvertantly wiped out your deer points. Just in case though, I will check my deer points to see if there has been any change.

I made a mistake in my last post. I meant to put that they "haven't got to my clan yet". I guess I'll have to corner my buddy and have him prove it to me. He's never B.S.'ed me before. Last year I did get my results off the PUTER around mid-July though.

2000: July 14 Friday
2001: July 12 Thursday
2002: July 13 Saturday
2003: July 16 Wednesday
2004: July 19 Monday after 3:00
2005: July 19 Tuesday 2:04
2006: July 24 Monday 12:00
2007: July 18 Wednesday 5:00
2008: July 18 Friday

I remember many years ago you actually could call the phone number and check your bonus points to see if you were drawn. It was probably 3-5 days before results actually came out. However, I remember it only happening once, and it was at least 10 or more years ago.

"I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money.
You can keep the "change"!"

I found out that my buddy was playing a joke. But Mr. Gulable (aka Me) beleived him and opened my big fat mouth way to soon. Sorry about that guys. I learned something here.

The reason I know this is because I finally got in touch with my conection at the G & F department. She said that they haven't even finished entering all of the data from the applications. So MIKE11 thanks for keeping such great records.

Bates you most certainly aren't the only sucker in draw spoofs. One of the guys I know called a bunch of us in the middle of the night and said the results were out and gave us the secret number that always had a BZ signal. Let's just suffice to say that there were a few of us that had been dialing like hell for a couple days to no avail and this guy was lovin it!

But revenge is sweet. He had bought a new SUV. and couldn't find his keys one morning as he was talking to me. I told him dude you've bought that new car with onstar it'll find your keys. Go down into your garage and press the button on the end of your gear selector 2 times and it sends a signal to your key fob and it beeps for 10 seconds. Well now this guy lives in a 2 story house and about 15 minutes later he calls out of breath and says are you sure? I said yep done it many times & it works, but hey wait a second I just remembered something you've got an Escalade and you only have to push it once and it works. So he tells me thanks and off he goes again... about 20 minutes later he calls me and informs me that the lady at Onstar told him it wouldn't work and that somebody was having some fun with him. know what? she was right. WE all had a good laugh at the archery range that weekend!!

How many people remember the really old days, late 70's, and you could actually go down and watch as they manually drew people? Eventully they stopped allowing people to come down because it just took too long and then computers came along. However, in the early to mid 80's you could still call down to G&F and they would at least tell you if you were drawn before the results were posted. A lot less people applied back then and it was easy to get through.

Good luck everyone.

Ah - Yes - The good ole' days. Those days were when you could stop by the Yellow Front store on your way out of town and buy your deer tag and hunt anywhere in AZ you wanted to.

Not many people hunted "The Strip" because it was too far to drive and a lot of deer were much closer. Seven Springs just outside of Cave Creek was a favorate destination of many as I recall. We will never see those days again. They still have such a thing in Colorado for elk, but those days may be over soon as the herd objectives are reached.

264X300

Is what Ethical???

You young little ignorant PUNK!!!!!

Back before the hunting pressure was insane it was viable to hunt anywhere in the state. As the presure increased so did the need to limit the amount of hunting pressure any one unit would take. All of the areas around the bigger cities were getting pounded. If your question was a serious one You need to get a better understanding game management. Until then pick up a book and read.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-01-09 AT 10:58PM (MST)[p]I don't think I'm an ole' fart yet, but I was sure surprised when I heard "hey mister" and "Sir" for the first time.

I was just a kid goin' with my dad when we hit Yellow Front for a tag. Used to call it a buck for a buck as deer tags were a whole dollar.

I remember when the draw started and it seemed like everyone got drawn, but they had to stay in one area. You could not go south one weekend and north the next. After three or four years, you started hearing, wow, I did not get a tag this year. And so it bagan and here we are.

I've been called a lot of things and now I guess I can add Old Fart to the list. It's a mess getting old, but no one can stop it.

OF 264X300

My reply was made in jest after rereading it I can see how it was miss understood. If there was any offence taken by what was said TRUELY NONE was meant.

I wrote a check out for the draw and it finally cleared on June 30th!

What was the name of that outdoor newsletter they gave away at YellowFront? It was by BoB Hirsch. I used to love to read his stories on fishing and hunting.

In 1983, I had my first elk tag (archery) and hunted in 6A. We would go there in the morning and in the afternoon, help a buddy who had a 5B Any Elk tag. Good memories over the years.

Seems to me that Yellow Front was originaly named Yates Hardware and Outdoors. Anybody else remember that ? They say the memory is first to go.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-02-09 AT 08:49AM (MST)[p]I don't remember that. I'm a 41 yr old AZ native. I may be slightly to young to remember Yates. Yellow front was just Yellow Front from my memory. Golly those where the good ol'days before all of these Mega Stores got here ie...Walmart, Home Depot, Costco...

I remember O'Malley's Building Materials, Yellow Front, Payless Cashways Lumberyard...

Yates and Yellow front were separate companies but they competed with each other and both were the place to go along with Sunset Sports Centers and Del Re's. The old yates store over on 16th street used to be a lot like Popular stores when they were in business. I won a 100 Qt igloo ice chest and a sleeping bag from Yates in a big buck contest one year. Yes they were the good old days. I can remember going up in 21 and 5 of us killing our bucks and still being at work by 9:00 in the morning on opening day and none of them was smaller than a 4X4. I didn't want to waste the day since I'd filled my tag. I can remember drawing a mule deer tag and getting a leftover whitetail tag and filling both tags. That happened quite a few years back then. Yep those were the good old days.

Like I said the memory is first to go. My recollection was that Yates was on 36th and Thomas. I agree that those were the good old days unless you mean Elk hunting. Back then you could go days without even seeing an Elk.

Yellow front was on Scottsdale and Thomas.. and there was another one in payson in the shopping center behind the MCdonalds we used to stop at on our way the white mtns.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-02-09 AT 10:11AM (MST)[p]There were actually many "Yellow Front" stores throughout Arizona in the "old days". I am 54 and grew up in Tempe and I can remember as a 13 year old strapping my shotgun to the sissy bar of my Schwinn Sting Ray, driving to the Sunshine Market or Circle K store with my buddies and buying a couple boxes of Alcan paper hulled shells and then went to the river bottom south of the intersection of University and Price Rd to hunt doves and quail and rabbits. We used to pool our money earned from mowing neighbors lawns so we could buy a case of Alcan shells to share. I seem to recall a case of 10 boxes costing us a little less than 15 bucks out the door. In years when the river was running and there was water remaining after the releases were stopped we had some wonderful duck hunting as well! Reading this thread caused me to dig out some of the old photos and have a nice daydreaming session. AHH!! the "Good ol Days".

I think they both had multiple locations(i know yellow front did for sure) 19th and Camelback for years and years. The Yates I went to was located south of Camelback on 16th St. just across the street from where Phoenix Shooters supply used to be when Louis had that open he still has The fishing store open. Louis Toy was a Remington distributor and had a nice gun store and reloading store located there for many years. Sunset had locations at 35th & Northern and Indian School and 30th steet (?) and in Tempe. Del Re's was a coleman repair center and they had 2-3 stores and Micky and Eddie were well known fisherman and hunters. Remember that? I also remember stopping at Yellow front in Payson buying tackle on the way to rim and Wht mtns. I'm really starting to show my age here!

Fox caller I can remember killing my first deer just about a mile or two north of where the Honeywell plant is at I 17 and shooting a few others in the mtns north and south of lake pleasant exit on the east side of the road where all those subdivisions are. We killed a mtn lion just east of the shopping center out there in the mountains on the north side.

Sounds like there are several of us old natives around. Our best Dove hunting spot was a farm field way out of town , at the corner of Ray and 48th St.

Boy-o-boy it is really cool how my original post took such as awesome turn down Memory Lane. Keep'em comin' guys. I love reading this stuff.

Here's one of mine. I grew up in S. Phx. 40th St & Southern area. My great grand parents & my family had a pair of houses on about 15 acres. We had all kinds of livestock and farmed alfalfa & Mexican June Sweet corn. When I was a boy, Dad & I used to hunt dove on the farm. During the hot summer nights we'd drive up S. Mtn in Mom's old Ford LTD and Dad would let me drive while he sat on the hood and caught Rattlesnakes. Back then there was a bounty on them. We'd sell'em to ASU & U of A for Bio-Medical research. There was also a bounty on scorpions. I'd catch those by the gazillions on the family farm. Thanks fellas for bringing back the fond memories.

Tag, since I was a west sider we always went out by the orchards out on bell rd north and south and hunted along the canals in a few other ag areas south of Bell Rd. Those were good times. We killed that mountain lion with a .22 marlin lever action rifle. Put 3 shots in him and it was over but it could have been a E ticket at Disneyland but we were fearless and dumb. We were about 12 +/- or so at the time and were hunting rabbits and climbed up there and saw the lion about 25 yards below us in the rocks and shot him (he probably was stalking us). I remember that we went back to the truck to tell the kids older brother who thought we were making it up. Boy was he shocked when he saw the dead cat. Needless to say we didn't get to hunting quite as much for a while.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-02-09 AT 10:55AM (MST)[p]There are some great stories in here. definetly worth reading! I will try to add one of my own.

Back around 82 or so my brother and I were going to head down along the river (at that we only knew about the Colorado, since we grew in a small town called Ehrenberg) and go camping, fishing and quail hunting. We did not take ANY food at all, only bait and our 410's with one box of shells to share, we were going to live off the land! After the 2nd day we getting hungry, as the hunting and fishing was not going as planned! We could have headed the 5-7 miles back home, but we stuck it out! On the 2nd night we lit a fire and cooked the rest of our chicken livers for food(keep in mind we had no ice chest!). They were tastee, but I forgot to mention,, the paper we used to light our fire was the label for the liver, it read "NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION". I guess those are some of the greatest lessons learned.

Travis
www.southwesthuntingadventures.com

Boskee, I remember the Bell road orchards also but that was a road trip for us. After development of Ahwatukee began we had to move out to the agriculture South of Maricopa. The Dove used to darken the sky out there. We would puddle jump the farm irrigation canals for Duck as well. Good times.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-02-09 AT 01:04PM (MST)[p]Well, I guess someone "older than dirt" needs to chime in here. :D

Early in my adult life, I was quite involved in the firearms/fishing tackle industry, both on the retail and wholesale side of the business.

In 1968, I went to work as a gun salesman at the Jewel Box, which was located in downtown Phoenix on 1st Ave., between Washington and Jefferson. At the time, in addition to being a pawn shop, the JB was the biggest gun dealer in the West for both new and used guns. We sold thousands of guns through the mail. I also was in charge of the expansive reloading department. I think the JB is still in business on Central Ave. about where the downtown PO used to be.

A year later, I became the manager of the sporting goods department at the JC Penney store at Tower Plaza Mall, right around the corner from one of the Yates stores. That was back when JCP had full-blown sporting goods departments, complete with handgun and long-gun sales. We even stocked Weatherby rifles and JCP had its own brand of inexpensive firearms under the "Foremost" name. As a result of my experience with reloading equipment and components, my department was the ONLY one in the U.S. that carried a full-line of reloading gear. Over a span of two years, I took that department from $300K in sales to over $1 million per year, a pretty substancial amount at that time.

Then Woolco, the K-Mart-like division of Woolworth's, came to town. Somehow the mgr. of one due to open on Thunderbird & 7th St. had heard about me. He called me at home and asked if I would be interested in setting up the sporting goods department at the new store, offering twice the yearly salary I was making at Penny's. Naturally, I accepted but only with the understanding I could bring along my asst. mgr. -- a once part-time gal that I had trained from scratch. He said no problem. After I left, she became the personnel mgr. at that store.

During the stints at JCP and Woolco, to stay competitive, we often "price shopped" both Yates and Yellowfront. As mentioned, Yates actually had two stores, one on 12th or 16th St. and one near Tower Plaza at 36th and Thomas. The stores, often referred to as Yate's Army & Navy Surplus, existed for about 30 years.

There is now a hiking trail in the Phoenix Mountain Preserve named after the owner -- L.V. Yates. He was very active in bringing the preserve to fruition. Not sure if he is still alive today, but he and his wife celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary in 2006.

The Yellowfront stores were all over the valley and AZ. There were at least 20 or more in the state, and until about a decade ago, some still existed including one on Glendale Ave., near 35th Ave., a few doors down the strip mall from Bob's Sporting Goods.

As most of you no doubt know, Bob Hirsch, who was a sort of spokesman for Yellowfront for many years, died about two years ago, and his wife Mary passed away about a year ago. Bob also had been a personal friend of mine since the early 1970s.

After about a year at the Woolco gig circa 1974, a job opened with American Wholesale Hardware -- one of the wholesale firearms/fishing tackle distributors out of Long Beach, CA. This outfit competed with the likes of Mallco and Arizona Hardware, the two biggest wholesale gun distributors in AZ at the time. I applied and got the job, and my territory was AZ, as well.

The owner of AWH had basically financed Bill Ruger's start into the firearms manufacturing business. As a result, AWH was the largest Ruger distributer in the country, but we also sold lots & lots of S&Ws, Colts, Winchesters and Remingtons, along with several of the lesser brands.

My job as a rep with AWH entailed selling to about every gun and fishing tackle retailer in the state. It was during this time I first met the Del Re brothers -- Mickey, ED and AL. The latter ran the store on S. Central, which is now operated by his sons. They opened another at 7th St. and Dunlap that eventually moved to the corner of 12th St. and Northern. At that time, it was a full-scale operation and even had a shoe repair shop on premises. They eventually closed that store and opened the scaled-down version on 16th St., south of Indian School Rd.

Mickey and I became close friends. We hunted together in Colorado and Texas and often fished together here in AZ. After I left AWH to buy a resort at Vallecito Lake near Durango, CO, he would visit every June to fish for northern pike with his good friend, Chester Hansen, the founder of Hansen's Mortuary.

Many people consider the Del Re brothers as the ones who started the bass fishing club/tournament stuff here in AZ. I have photos of some of the early club tournaments at Roosevelt and Bartlett Lakes. Both Ed and Mickey died quite a few years ago.

This is the LAST SHOT column I wrote for AZ Hunter & Angler the month after Mickey died.

REMEMBER MICKEY

I can't recall the exact year, but it was sometime in the early 1970s, probably about 1972. I had just begun working as a sales rep for a hunting and fishing gear wholesaler out of Long Beach, California. My territory was the entire state of Arizona.

On day one of my new job, my first stop was a shop on 12th St. and Northern. I walked into the store with my huge catalog in tow, ready to start that day with a bang. Instead, when I introduced myself to the dark-haired fellow standing behind the counter, I was greeted with a frown and gravely-voiced retort. It went something along the lines of, ?Another stinkin? peddler, huh? We don't need anything.?

Now with my tail tucked firmly between my legs, I merely replied, ?Okay, I'll check back again in a week or so. Maybe you'll need something then. ?

The guy smiled then. ?I doubt it. But now that you're here, you want some coffee or a drink??

That was the first time I had met and spoken to Mickey Del Re. Fortunately, it wasn?t the last. In fact, over the few years after that, Del Re?s store was one of my best accounts. More importantly, Mickey and I eventually became good friends and had remained such for nearly 25 years.

Perhaps many of you reading this column never even heard of Mickey. It's understandable if you're less than 25 or 30 years old. In contrast, those who have been around for a several decades know about his legacy and pioneering efforts in regards to fishing.

Mickey arrived in Arizona in the late 1940s as part of the Air National Guard. He decided to stay rather than return to his home in West Virginia. Then in 1954, Mickey?s dad, Pat and his brothers -- Al Sr. and Ed -- opened the first Del Re store on S. Central in Phoenix. In 1958, Ed and Mickey joined up and opened the second store at 7th St. and Dunlap, where they stayed until they opened the shop on northern in 1968. When Ed retired in 1980, Mickey relocated to a smaller shop on 16th St., just south of Indian School Rd. He eventually retired in 1986 and resolved to do what he loved best -- go fishing.

Fishing was a major part of Mick?s life long before I had met him. Folks who knew him in the 1950s and 1960s often related stories about his prowess with rod and reel. At a time when $20,000 bassboats crammed with electronic gear were still years off, Mickey caught fish -- lots of them.

He was one of the first fishermen to actively promote tournament fishing and help get it organized. His early endeavors helped form the Arizona Bass Club. But those who look fondly back on those early days, remember the social gatherings Mickey and Ed promoted even more.

Mickey?s nephew, Al Jr., is one of those who remember. ?Almost every Sunday, my uncles would have a bunch of guys just meet at Bartlett Lake at noon, and no one cared who fished with whom. They spent the afternoon on the lake, and if they caught a mess of fish, they would have one big fish fry on the shore that night.?

In the mid-1970s, I moved to Vallecito Lake, Colorado, and Mickey became a frequent visitor. He loved catching the big northern pike that prowled the high- country lake (See COLORADO?S PREMIER PIKE HOLE). Sometimes he would bring his son, Michael, or one of his friends such as Chet Hansen or Duke Tartalio. No matter who was there, though, you can bet Mickey always had fun.

Duke eventually bought a summer home on Alaska?s Kenai, so over the last few years, Mickey spent many weeks there pursuing his favorite pastime. He continued to do it even after he was diagnosed with lung cancer a couple years ago and had one lung removed. Of course, anyone who knew him wouldn't expect him to do anything else. He went again this summer, too.

In October, my wife and I were eating dinner, and for some reason Mickey came to mind. Out of the blue, I blurted, ?You know, I haven't talked to Mickey in a few months. I need to call him and see how he's getting along.?

A half-hour later, I had a long talk with him. He didn't sound good. I asked if he was still living in the same apartment because I wanted to come over the next week and visit with him a bit. He told me he had moved a bit north and gave me the new address.

A few days later, my mom called and asked if I knew that my friend Mickey had passed away. I was stunned, probably because I immediately wondered why only days earlier he had come to mind out of the blue. Premonition? Maybe.

I was also very sad. I never did pay that last visit, but at least I had spoken to him on the telephone.

And now that I've had time to think about it more, I've also realized his death at 72 was sort of like the passing of an era. Mickey is gone, as are many of the other of the state?s well-known outdoorsmen who lived during his time. But I guarantee none of Mickey?s friends will forget him or what he did during his years with us.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

Thats good stuff Tony. I am sure that I am a bit younger than you but your memory is much better than mine. I had forgotten all about the JCP Sporting goods department at Tower Plaza. I grew up right around the corner at 30th St and Oak. Anybody remember the area Taxidermist named Jack Wright I believe. Jack did a Deer for me , must be 30 years ago now that still looks great.

Travis, You are right. It was Jack White. Was his place called Wildlife Creations on 32st and Oak ? He sure did some good work.

It was indeed Jack White. He was pretty good at it. The other noted taxidermist at the time was Jeff Sievers, who trained many of the guys in that business today.

Many of the mounts currently in my older trophy room were done by Fred Campbell in the 1960s. His shop was in Avondale, across from the high school.

Fred died several decades ago. After the later death of his wife Louise, I always wondered what ever happened to extensive collection of Indian artifacts he had collected over the years. He had literally dozens of stone metates and grinding stones, and his showroom was filled with showcases of spear and arrowheads, stone knives, etc. Most of the stuff had come from the western valley around Avondale and Buckeye.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

I believe that is right, I grew up along the Colorado River (Ehrenberg AZ) so going to Phoenix was like going to the moon for us. It was along way thru 60 all the way to Grand. But then the 10 was finished to around 99th Ave, I think. Anyway it was a great drive with no seat belts, standing in the front seat, or in the back of the truck, and buying regular gas at around .70 cents per gal! The trips to White Mts were even better. 14- 16 hrs to get to Show Low, and getting spanked at least 3 times on the trip! That part wasn't great.

Tony that was some real good stuff right there. You really pulled up some good ol'boys with that story. I especially remember Bob Hirsch. I really enjoyed reading his stories in the YF papers as a boy. In my teenage years I worked as a boatboy up at the Big Lake Tackle Shop. Bob really enjoyed bringing his pretty daughter up there on fishing trips. I remember the first time I met Bob. My boss Bill Law hollers out the side door of the store at me (while I was down on the boat dock keeping an eye on the boaters) "come here I want you to meet somebody". I ran up to the store and Bill says "I'd like you to meet Bob Hirsch". Buddy I'm tellin' ya it was like meeting John Wayne. It made my whole summer. I had so much respect for him that I was afraid to talk to his daughter the first time I met her. She does a little writing now. That's nice to see. Lets keep her going!

Tags, Jack (I think it was White not sure though) was a hell of a taxidermist. He did a couple of mounts for me I still have an antelope he did.

Tony I'll bet as a rep you sold to Gemco at 19th and Glendale avenues they used to have a pretty good sporting goods department in there and a nice gun department. I know they used to buy alot from Western Hogee(sp). You're right about the Del Re's they were great guys. I went over there one time as a kid and took a reel to him to repair. He told me he couldn't fix it and I was upset because I was leaving to go fishing that night with my neighbor that acted like a father to me. He went over and got me a reel off the shelf and sold it to me for what I had which wasn't much and told me I could pay him the rest later. Later, when I went in he said I didn't owe him any more money. You don't find people like that out there these days.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-02-09 AT 01:08PM (MST)[p]Cool stories. I purchased my first handgun at a Smitty's grocery store on Mcdowell Rd just East of Hayden in Scottsdale, a S&W model 19 357 magnum. Sweet! I also remember the JC Penny sporting goods dept and I have bought firearms there and also from Sears and Monkey Wards in Mesa. Shot a bobcat when I was 15 behind "A" Butte in Tempe. Believe it or not it was legal to shoot and hunt in the riverbottom there at the time. I used to hang around the police firing range at the end of Hardy Dr and 1st St and pick up empties and help the cops set up targets and clean up the place. They would throw me a few bucks here and there and some took time to show me their guns and let me handle them and taught me about them. Can you imagine that today! Wow! I could go on, and on, and on and on.

Yellow Front, loved it, everything cost 1.99.

When I was a kid almost everything I wore or had came from Yellow Front in Mesa. Liked just the smell of it.

Grew up way out in the Boonies of Mesa, Val Vista and University, Univ was a dirt road past Val Vista. We were 5 miles from the center of town but another world away. Cotton fields and citrus groves, get off the school bus and grab a gun, walk down the end of the dirt road 1/4 mile to the groves and start hunting. Ride our bikes along the irrigation ditchs and find pop bottles that people toss by the basket full. Take the bike or ride the horse over to Main and the Rainbow market, it had a hitching post, cash them in and buy candy and shells, imagine a 12 yr old buying shells and walking out with a brown bag of candy at the same time.

Frog gigging in the canals and the overflow ponds, catching carp and the occasional cat. Shooting whitewing in the melon fields after harvest when the limits were 25 and having permission to take all the melons that were late ripeners and left to rot, selling them in Dreamland Villas for 4 for a buck, more shell money! There were still hundreds of them.

Days that will never be seen again.

Kent

LAST EDITED ON Jul-02-09 AT 02:52PM (MST)[p]A bit of nostalgia........

? You remember when Bell Road (especially through Glendale) was the considered edge of civilization. There was nothing there but tumbleweeds and prairie dogs. Now, it's where you go to run all your errands. Or if you were traveling eastbound on Bell Rd. the sign that said 'Scottsdale- 21 miles'
?
? Your parents took you to Legend City.
?
? Mornings were spent watching 'The Wallace and Ladmo Show'. When it was over, it was time to leave for school. 'Ladmo Bags'.
?
? You remember when Beardsley Road was a seldom traveled, two-lane blacktop. Now, it's the eastbound frontage road for the 101 freeway.
?
? Before there was Target, there was Gemco. Now, most of the old Gemco stores are Targets.
?
? You watched Star Wars at the original Cine Capri.
?
? You remember stores like Yellow Front, Woolco, Newberry's, McCrory's, TG&Y, Fedmart, Sprouse Reitz, Wards, U-Totem, Woolworth,and Yates.
?
? You remember when there was a cabbage field where Metro-Center is now located.
?
? You remember when Metrocenter had a below-grade ice skating rink. Watching skaters from the overlook above was the best way to escape the summer heat.
?
? Farrell's ice cream parlor @ Chris-Town Mall. No Farrell's trip was complete without getting to see two waiters run though the restaurant with a sundae resting on a stretcher, while lights and sirens whirred in the background. Sometimes, the ice cream would fall off the stretcher. Don't forget the trip thru their candy store.
?
? You were bummed when Farrell's closed.
?
? You saw a concert at Compton Terrace. When it was attached to Legend City.
?
? Your dad subscribed to the Phoenix Gazette(afternoon paper) and the Arizona Republic on Sunday.
?
? You remember when the Brass Armadillo antique mall was Angel's--a building supply warehouse similar to Home Depot.
?
? You remember when you got your building supplies from O'Malley's, Entz-White or Payless Cashways.
?
? You remember when the Phoenix Suns were the only professional sports team in the state, and they played their games at Phoenix Memorial Coliseum.
?
? Your groceries came from Alpha Beta, AJ Bayless, Lucky's, Neb's Market or Smitty's. Smitty's even had a little coffee shop attached to it.
?
? A night out consisted of family dinner at the Lunt Avenue Marble Club. Their deep fried mushrooms were the best.
?
? You remember when eastbound I-10 ended at Dysart Road. In order to continue east, you had to take McDowell or Thomas Road 15 miles to I-17 and head south. I-10 started up again somewhere east of downtown.
?
? You ate breakfast at Sambo's or Bob's Big Boy.
?
? You remember when houses were built with carports instead of garages. Roofs were covered with wood shakes or asphalt shingles instead of concrete tiles.
?
? You remember home builder's billboards that advertised interest rates of 11%
?
? Your aspirin and cough syrup came from Skagg's, Revco, Thrifty's, Longs, or Drug Emporium.
?
? Your shoes came from Buster Brown.
?
? You remember when CBS was on channel 10...ABC was on channel 3...and channels 5 and 15 were independent. Now, CBS is on channel 5...FOX is on channel 10...ABC is on channel 15...and channel 3 no longer has a network affiliation. NBC and PBS are the only ones that stayed on their original stations (channel 12 and 8, respectively). You remember when channel 15 broadcast pay-tv at night (It was called ON-TV).
?
? You accompanied your dad to the True Value Hardware store in Westown in hopes of getting to stop at Baskin Robbins afterwards.
?
? You shopped at Valley West Mall before it became a ghost town, and was ultimately torn down.
?
? You shopped at Phoenix Spectrum Mall when it was known as Chris-Town.
?
? You rode the 'Tico' to Park Central.
?
? You remember quality local programming like Open House with Rita Davenport or Sun Spots with Jan DiAtri.
?
? You accompanied your dad to the LaBelle's catalog showroom to buy your mom's Christmas present.
?
? Before he was governor, you remember Evan Mecham as the owner of a Pontiac dealership in Glendale.
?
? You remember when the entire state of Arizona only had one area code. Now, there are three in the Phoenix area alone.
?
? You remember when your phone number that started with '959' and it was changed to '840' and you never knew why.
?
? You remember when Scottsdale Fashion Square was an outdoor mall with Goldwater's, Bullocks and Lenord's luggage being the only stores. You remember when Goldwater's was bought out by Robinson May who was then bought out by Macy's. You remember when Diamonds was bought out by Dillards.
?
? You remember when Diamonds ticket box-was the only place to buy concert tickets.
?
? You remember when it hit 99? and that was considered HOT.
?
? You remember when Big Surf was the place to go to beat the heat. Then hitting the drive-in to see movie across the street.
?
? You remember when the best ice cream was found at Thrifty's Drug Store, where 85? would get you three scoops.
?
? You remember when you wrote all your information down on a piece of paper and then your drivers license was mailed to you. It was very easy to change the 1968 to 1965 (because it was still in your hand writing) so that you could go to "Devil House" drinking because the drinking age was 19 years old.
?
? You remember when 44th Street and Thomas was 'Thomas Mall'.
?
? You remember when 40th Street and Thomas was 'Tower Plaza'. And there was a few people that climb to the top and threaten to jump.
?
? You remember when there was a canal at 48th.
?
? You remember when driving up Pima Rd and you could see for miles & miles because there was nothing east or north of Shea Rd. And it was very dark and scary.
?
? You remember when the only way to get to Shea Rd was thru 'Dreamy Park' and there weren't any streetlights? Squaw Peak was only a name of a mountain. Not a highway.
?
? You remember when you saw a concert at Graham Central Station, because the band was not popular enough to fill Mesa Amphi Theater.
?
? You remember when Johnny Cash and Wille Nelson occasionally visited Mr. Lucky's on Grand Ave when they were in town for something else.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

Tony, nice tribute to Mickey I hadn't seen it before.
Heading down Nostalgic Lane, as a youngster growing up here in the 70's we lived not far from Yates on 16th. My buddy & I would hop on our bikes and ride the circuit. We rode to Yates then to Jack Wight's original Taxidermy studio which was also on 16th Street at Bethany in a small strip mall. His old shop was tiny, it is now a small dress shop or hair salon just down from Texazz Grill. After pestering Jack for what I'm sure he thought was an eternity, we would hop on our bikes and pedal down to 12th & Northern and bug the DelRe boys, then back home. I have two antelope mounts and two javelina mounts from Jacks shop. If anyone has any of his early mounts you will know that they looked great for his day but they were boat anchors as he made his forms I think from plaster way before the foam forms of today. Cool stuff.

Tony, The Farrells ice sundae was called a "ZOO" and they made quite a production delivering it to the tables.

- I used to be a paper boy for the Gazette, Republic, Tempe Daily News and the Pennysaver

- how about the "Globe" store at Tower Plaza?

- I remember watching the Payless in Tempe burn to the ground, one of the largest fires ever in the valley at the time.

- first real job was as a carry out for AJ Bayless at Dorsey and Apache in Tempe. $1.36 an hour!

- Legend City - smooching with Denise in the mine ride.

- Thomas Mall, remember the big aquariums in the middle?

- the "Mad House on McDowell" got Wilt's autograph there in 1970, Connie Hawkins also.

- Wallace and Ladmo-wow! what can be said, a true part of growing up in AZ. I cried when Ladmo died! I have such great memories of Lad, Wallace & Gerald!

WOW Tony that was cool. With all due respect Mr Mandile I found one mistake. In the old days the Phoenix Suns played at Veterans Memorial Coliseum, aka "The Mad House on McDowell". The Suns and I are the same age. It's funny when I tell people that I'm such a huge NBA fan and they can't quite figure it out (I'm a white guy from AZ) and I'm also a real big fan of college football. That's all we had when I was a boy. The Suns and the Sun Devils. It was so simple back then. I really miss it.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-02-09 AT 03:01PM (MST)[p]Remember when AJ bayless had the old country store on Indian School RD and the Carnation Dairy was just north of it and they used to let you go on tours and watch them make ice cream. The first McDonalds was at Indian School Rd & Central ave and a hamburger cost $.19 and fries were a nickle or $.09. Mags ham bun was back behind there on Indian School & Bob's Big boy was at Central and Thomas and they served their shakes in the silver goblets and the bob's big boy was the first triple decker hamburger. They had the canoe's and later the paddle boats at Encanto Park in the lagoon and Kiddiland was all of about 4 rides.

Durant's was still where it is today and 3 tacos or enchilada's or tostadas were 3 for $.90 at Jordan's on Central. Joe Jordan was a great guy. The Quien Sabe was the bar they owned next door. They were building the Meyer Central building and the Playboy club was on the 8th floor. I had a newspaper route that went from Thomas to Osborn Rd from 7th Street to Central ave. There was a YWCA on 3rd st & Osborn School was on Central Ave. The Indian School was on Indian School where they bused the kids from the REZ to educate them. The San Francisco Giants used to stay in the Frontier Garden Apts at 3rd and Thomas when here on spring training and their kids went to Osborn School.

Remember the food bazaar at Town & Country shopping center with all the different restaurants. Mary Coyle on Thomas rd was the place to go for ice Cream before Farrells.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-02-09 AT 03:14PM (MST)[p]Ladmo's daughter used to baby sit me when my Mom & Dad would go out and paint the town back in the old days. What a small town it was back then. The Phx. Suns marched in the Fiesta Bowl Parades in the old days as well and so did I in a drum & bugle corps called the Tempe Royalls directed by my late grandfather Charles Wesley Ehrhardt. I met Connie Hawkins and the Van Arsdale (D1ck & Tom) twins at on of the parades. Harry Mitchell was one of my teachers at Tempe High School. I live in Tempe now because it has that small town feel that I like.

Tony, that was great. I remember all that, just an eastsider on the places though. Born in '57.

I remember a friend in college had family connections with Ladmo someway. We were out and about for some reason and he had to stop by Ladmo's house in Tempe to drop something off and I had no idea until we drove up who it was he was going to see. We're walking up to the door and he tells me, I stop dead cold and my knees are shaking. He walks in and I hear through the screen door Ladmo say, "well tell him to come in". I could only stammer and was so embarrassed, Ladmo laughed good naturedly and said it happens all the time. I was 19 yrs old.

Icons they were.

Legend City, alot of memories.

Swamp coolers and no ac in the vehicles.

Never locked the house even when we went on a week's vacation, probably my parents didn't even have keys anymore.

Driving the tractors to the store on the edge of town because you didn't have to have a license or age limit to drive one on the road.

I type slow so I'll leave it at that for now.

Kent

That was cool krp. Yep, swampers, I still prefer a swamp over AC. It's hard on guns though. 4X60 Ac in cars. We left our house unlocked also. Standing up on the back seat floorboard while driving to the original Food City on 24th St. & Buckeye right by the airport and praying that the plane coming to land wouldn't fall out of the sky and wipe you out.

This is very good reading!

Let me start by saying I was born in 1963 at Good Samaritan Hospital.

As a young kid I grew up in south Scottsdale around Los Arcos mall (before there was a Los arcos mall) I attended Yavapai elementary school. Graduated from Peoria High in 1981.

As I read through these I remember 95% of what outdoor writer and others wrote. I also think about what a great place and time it was to be a kid.

I can remember when the Parada del Sol rodeo would come to town we would get out of school early to go watch the rodeo. My dad would park the 69 chevy pickup along scottsdale road the night before to get a good spot for the parade on Saturday mornings. We would have hot chocolate and dunkin donuts.

We lived next door to a family and the father worked for kodak. He was friends with many of the phoenix suns players and they would come to his house. One day we were playing basketball on our driveway court and Connie Hawkins and Lamar green came over and played with us.

My first years of HS attended Pardise Valley (78-79). We all had our shotguns in the trunks of our cars so we could go dove or quail hunting right after school. We usually went around cave creek and earth damn. The doves were thick!!

Eventually moved to Peoria and worked at Smitty's 83rd and Peoria/Grand (1981-85)in the sporting goods dept. This was probably the most fun I ever had at a job. We sold the heck out guns and had great customer service. I new probably 60% of the customers by their first name. We had awesome sales. 33% off all shotguns or 40% off all long guns. Worked with many people I am still very good friends with today.

As a young kid I can only remember going to an indoor theater a few times to see movies such as Soilent Green, Poseiden Adventure and West World. Most of the movies I attended were in the bed of the old chevy at the round up drive in with the family.

I too miss Bob Hircsh and Yellow Front. I used to go in there just to get his little paper he wrote.

Great Memories for Sure. Keep them coming.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-02-09 AT 05:40PM (MST)[p]Covering a bunch of comments with one message here:

TAGATTRACTER:

>>Sounds like there are several of us old natives around. Our best Dove hunting spot was a farm field way out of town, at the corner of Ray and 48th St.

When my wife and I first moved to Phoenix in 1961, my mom and dad had a house at 39th Ave. and Camelback a few yards from Alhambra HS. My grandfather (Pop), who was already in his early 70s lived with them. So did we for a few months.

Pop and I usually hunted at the end of Camelback Rd. within a few hundred yards of the Luke AFB fence. Just at daylight one morning, quite a few jets were taking off. As one became airborne a few hundred yards up, he had a flameout. Next thing we saw was a chute decending, and a few seconds later a huge plume of black smoke went skyward as the plane crashed in the desert somewhere south of Van Buren. Today, that crash would probably wipe out a LOT of houses and people.

>>I am sure that I am a bit younger than you but your memory is much better than mine.

Yeah, it sounds like many of you are a bit younger. I'll be 68 in Nov. Lots of water over the dam. :)

maddglasser:

>>or in the back of the truck, and buying regular gas at around .70 cents per gal!

My first job in AZ during the early 1960s was as a mechanic in my dad's service station. He moved here in 60 and bought a Flying A station just east of 35th Ave. and Indian School. The brand eventually changed when Gulf bought out FA. A year later, they built him a brandy new station under the Wilshire brand at 27th Ave. & Indian School. That whole area was pretty much the western-most end of any meaningful development, but John F. Long had already began building Maryvale, which changed all that. In fact, I currently live in a Long house north of Camelback at 67th Ave. that was built in 1959. We bough it in 1981, when we moved back to AZ from Co.

Anyway, to the main point concerning your comment above. In the 1960s, gas wars were quite common, with prices dipping as low as .19 a gallon! When that happened, we often had lines more than 1/2-mile long waiting to fill up.

foxcaller:

>> I have bought firearms there and also from Sears and Monkey Wards in Mesa.

Sears used J.C. Higgins on its private brand guns, and Wards used Western Field. But they both sold lots of the major brand stuff, too.

>>I purchased my first handgun at a Smitty's grocery store on Mcdowell Rd just East of Hayden in Scottsdale, a S&W model 19 357 magnum.

My first handgun was a .44 mag Ruger Super Blackhawk bought from Bob's Sporting Goods in the mid 1960s. I quickly sold it after I emptied the cylinder at a javelina at about 20 yards and never touched a hair.

Sometime in the early 1980s, though, I also acquired a M19 target model, which I later traded straight up for my German shorthair pup, Ginger. I enjoyed her much more than the handgun. She lived to 12 years old.

>>I remember watching the Payless in Tempe burn to the ground, one of the largest fires ever in the valley at the time.

All the material for my first house addition -- woodworking shop and trophy room -- came from the Payless that was on W. Indian School just east of 43rd Ave in 1982.

>>Legend City - smooching with Denise in the mine ride....Wallace and Ladmo-wow! what can be said, a true part of growing up in AZ. I cried when Ladmo died! I have such great memories of Lad, Wallace & Gerald!

This is where the age difference comes into play. It was my KIDS who enjoyed Legend City and Wallace and Ladmo. Before she became Miss AZ and later Miss America, Vonda Kay VanDyke performed at the Legend City saloon.

>> the "Mad House on McDowell" got Wilt's autograph there in 1970, Connie Hawkins also.

I attended the first Suns game in 1968 with my son. He was 6 years old. Andy Williams and Bobbi Gentry -- both part owners then -- were there and sang at halftime.

One year I also had two season tickets for the Phx. Roadrunners, who played there.

Bates7:

>>In my teenage years I worked as a boatboy up at the Big Lake Tackle Shop.

What years? I often took my family there during the late 1960s and early 70s.

>>WOW Tony that was cool. With all due respect Mr Mandile I found one mistake. In the old days the Phoenix Suns played at Veterans Memorial Coliseum,

Of course, you are correct. Did you know during the planning in 1962 it was originally supposed to be called the Arizona State Fairgrounds Exposition Center. They changed it to the Arizona Veterans Memorial Coliseum just prior to opening it in Nov. 1965.

Boskee:

>>Tony I'll bet as a rep you sold to Gemco at 19th and Glendale avenues they used to have a pretty good sporting goods department in there and a nice gun department. I know they used to buy alot from Western Hogee(sp).

Aaahaa. Two other names from the distant past. Gemco had a lots of stores in a couple states. If I recall, they were owned by the same company that owned the Lucky super markets. They did most of their buying from the main distribution center. Western Hogee was another competitor, but mostly on the fishing tackle end.

>>You don't find people like that out there these days.

Yup.

>>They had the canoe's and later the paddle boats at Encanto Park in the lagoon and Kiddiland was all of about 4 rides.

And my three kids, all tots in the 1960s, loved them.

>>They were building the Meyer Central building and the Playboy club was on the 8th floor.

I had a Playboy membership and visited there quite a bit. But I only read the menu and never looked at the girls. ;-)

>>The San Francisco Giants used to stay in the Frontier Garden Apts at 3rd and Thomas when here on spring training and their kids went to Osborn School.

The original stadium was on South Central down around Buckeye Rd. When I first visited AZ in 1959, my uncle owned Jimmy & Sarah's -- an Italian restaurant at 15th Ave. and McDowell. He was sort of big wig in town back then and had no problem getting free tickets. So a friend that was with me and I went to a game. We left an inning early, but on the way to the car, a ball came sailing over the left field fence into the parking lot. I managed to get to it first. The next day, I found out it was a homerun hit by none other than Willie McCovery. Of course, he was a nobody then. So, I took the ball home and actually used it. Wish I still had it now.

krp:

>> Yellow Front, loved it, everything cost 1.99.

Hmmm, you musta shopped at a different one than I did. I remember the last thing I bought at the one on Glendale Ave. was one of those nifty Camp Chef 2-burner propane stoves. It was a LOT more than a $1.99.

I used to buy all of my Coleman stuff there, too. The prices were cheaper than I could get direct from Coleman with my super-duper writer's discount.

[/b] wetmule:[/b]

>> Tony, for an old dude you have a pretty good memory.

Careful Kev, or I'll have my cousins, Guido and Carmello pay you a visit. :)

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

Tony, just kinda an inside joke my brother and I still have. All the little toys and kid stuff seemed to be .99 or 1.99.

Kent

LAST EDITED ON Jul-02-09 AT 05:43PM (MST)[p]And here's another bit of nostalgia, but I'm gonna make it into a little quiz.

Who can recall the gasoline retailer that used to give away the glasses and other little goodies here in AZ?

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

Once, must have been '76, second year of college and many new friends from around the valley at MCC. Planned a dove hunt and a new friend that lived in South Phx asked if he could go, never been hunting. Said he needed a ride and had to be picked up, but not at his house, in the parking lot of a grocery store, ok. That part of town was really bad and we pull into the parking lot at 4:00 am and are waiting. A patrol car pulls up and an officer with a flashlight comes over and shines it in my truck.

"What are you boy's doing?" while he's looking at the shotguns on the seat, I know they weren't in a case, my dad never used cases and I was my father's son.

"Waiting for a friend to show up so we can go dove hunting, sir"

"Where you going?"

"Queen Creek, off the Empire rd."

"That's good hunting out there, have a good time."

Our buddy never showed and we hightailed it after a few extra minutes.

Kent

Tony, I remember that, my Mom was always getting stuff like that and greenstamps. I can't remember the name though, one of the chains was Arco or something close, don't think that was it.

Kent

LAST EDITED ON Jul-02-09 AT 06:19PM (MST)[p]Kent,

Nope, not Arco. The company, which was AZ based, went out of business years ago -- maybe late 1960s, early 1970s.

I doubt the police would handle that situation that way today. :-(

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

I remember my folks had glasses and custom gas station steak knives but I don't know where they came from. A few things I remember growing up as a kid. Going to the Cine Capri to see The Sound of Music and I think Dr. Doolittle and The Blue Max. I remember the Tempe bridge over the Salt washing downstream and a bridge on the I-17 north of town getting blown out from all the rain. I also remember my dad getting me my first bow as a kid (Green colored Bear Kodiak Hunter) from Al Henderson and taking shooting lessons from big Al himself, I think his shop was on Van Buren.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-03-09 AT 00:22AM (MST)[p]Blakely is a real good guess but it may have been Whiting bros. Wet mule I took lessons from Al Henderson too when I was a kid. He was a good coach.

I was talking to my cousin about this thread and he told me the MCdonalds hamburgers were $.09 and the fries were a nickle not as much as I remembered. He also told me to remind all you guys about beeline dragway and when they used to land at Sky Harbor and you unloaded outside and walked to the terminals. All the hot cars running up and down Central avenue and Bobs big boy had car hop service on central. He paid $79.00 for a brand new Remingtom rifle and bought a Winchester 101 O/U shotgun from gemco for $268.00. He also bought a Fred Wells custom rifle from fred up in Prescott for $ 500.00 that is probably worth $15000.00 today.

It is a small world. I was born and raised in Long Beach, CA. Tony, do you remember the big retailer in North Long Beach called "Dooley's Hardware", or how about the Andrews Sporting Goods chain that later became Turner's Sporting Goods? How about Thompson's Sporting Goods on Wardlow Road?

Bernie Thompson had the most complete reloading department in the area and had several loading systems set up in the shop that customers could use to load ammo from the components they'd purchase in his shop. He also had a very successful gunsmithing business operating out of the same location. He was a real savvy gun shop operator who knew how to take care of his customers.

I bought my first shotgun with my own money at a Gemco in Long Beach. I remember when our Long Beach Sear's stores sold firearms and ammunition as did all the Woolworth Stores and the Treasury Stores.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-03-09 AT 08:23AM (MST)[p]
We have a winner!! Good show, foxcaller.

It was indeed Blakely's that gave away all the goodies. See below.

AZBUCKSNORT:

I never lived in Long Beach, but just worked for the company that was based there. So I'm not familiar with any of the places you mention.

Boskee:

When I first moved here, I owned a 56 Ford Victoria and 56 T-bird. I spent many nights cruising Central in the latter. Then I sold the T-bird for $1,500 for a downpayment on our first house.

Wetmule:

Al Henderson was a good friend of mine. My first bow was a Ben Pearson Javelina -- a wooden recurve.

Blakely cactus glasses

4a4d4c694ac48036.jpg

Blakely's Service Station

4a4d4a233e0d7852.jpg

Blakely's Gas Station #5 at 702 W. Thomas. That is St. Joseph Hospital being built in background.

4a4d4acf40d79956.jpg

4a4d4b4842b3e17e.jpg

McDonald's on Central so. of Indian School Rd. May 15, 1953. This was the 2nd McDonald's in the U.S. and the first to have the double gold arches.

4a4d4beb46bf226c.jpg

Original Phoenix sign, 1954. Hamburgers were 10 for a dollar sometimes.

4a4d4b904414e395.jpg

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

I didn't remember the Blakeley part but first thing I thought of was the Rocket gas station, then thought naw it wasn't a chain probably. I only knew of one and the picture of a rocket sticking out of the sign.

My Grandparents came from Pima to Globe to Tempe when my dad was a sophmore in HS. Bought 40 ac on Scottsdale road and Weber just north of Curry. Remember that was called Dead man's curve until they straightened Scottsdale rd. My Grandmother said she used to have to go out when there was an accident and try to help. My GPs made the lots on Weber and sold them, then sold the north part and kept 8 ac, all before I was born. 4 houses were built on the property and our family lived in one for a couple yrs until my dad built our house in Mesa, I was 7 when we moved there for good. Our back yard fence was the side fence for the Rocket.

Rocket gas station leased the corner property from my Grandparents on Weber and Scottsdale and they did go out of business around '70. After a yr or two the entire family went and demolished the building saving all the metal and usable stuff, pack rats that we are. My dad and us boys built a huge cover over the corrals with some of that material.

During my short 2 1/2 yr college stint I lived on the property in a travel trailer with my GPs and at that time they sold the corner lot to 7/11. The rest of the property was sold in the 90s after my GPs passing.

I remember when they built Woolco across the street when we still lived there and I would walk over and drool over the BB guns.

Kent

Hey Tony here's the answer to your question about my years of employment at the Big Lake Tackle Shop. I was working up there from 87 to 91. I'll be 42 years old this December.

Tony, thanks for the old pics, I remember the entrance to Legend City to this day. I really mean it when I say thanks.

Kent

LAST EDITED ON Jul-03-09 AT 10:11AM (MST)[p]Kent,

Have a great weekend. Same for everyone else.

My wife and I are heading to Vallecito Lake in CO Sunday for a few days. My youngest son, who lives in TX, rented a cabin for a week. So we'll spend a couple days visiting with him, his wife and two adopted kids and his in-laws, who we have never met. I hope to get in a bit of pike fishing while there. I guided pike fishermen on the lake for three years.

A couple more of the Blakely give-aways.

4a4e28c71dfa5b64.jpg

4a4e28db1e42e282.jpg

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

Tony, you have a great time also, love that area up there.

One more little small world, but most of us have been to the same places over time.

In '79 when I realised I couldn't stand being inside and college was a chore because I was locked in buildings all the time that I wasn't working at Siemens in the semiconducter division, looking back that was immature. I decided to go up to Farmington, NM and work in the gas fields on a frac crew. I still had a lot of family there and in Cortez/Dove Creek. My Great grand parents from my Grand Mother are buried in Durango. They both died when she was 17 and she came to Safford to live with relatives and met my Grandfather.

Anyway, I had fished and camped since I was 12 around Durango and Dolores with family. I went up to the Forest Lakes Subdivision above Bayfield and bought a lot, never did anything with it and sold it for no profit when I got Married back in Mesa the next year, couldn't afford the 75.00 payment.

Kent

LAST EDITED ON Jul-03-09 AT 11:37AM (MST)[p]Small world indeed.

How long did you work in the gas fields? You didn't happen to know a guy name Jim Frazini, did you? He was a bit younger than you and didn't work there until later in the 80s. He was my son's best friend at Bayfield HS. they were the two stars on the football team. Jimmy was also my daughter's first serious boyfriend. I think he went to work shortly after graduating HS in 82.

We owned our resort at the lake in the late 1970s. All my kids spent three years in the Bayfield school system until we moved back to AZ. Forest lakes just came into being a year or two earlier; my kids skied on the short hill they had. My oldest son's wife is from Durango, and her sister has a very nice house in Forest Lakes. The sister's husband is a VERY avid hunter and has killed some monster mule deer bucks in that area.

I first got turned on to the lake area in the 1960s while hanging around Bellow's Sporting Goods, which was in the shopping center on the SW corner of 27th Ave. & Camelback. The owner, and a couple of his customers were putting together a DIY horseback hunt out of Vallecito. So I decided to join in the fun.

It was a great trip. We rented horses and packed up to the top of the mountain where we could actually see Lemon Lake, which was on the far side.

From then on, we usually rented a cabin next to the lake for a week every summer. The kids loved it. That's why we eventually decided to move there. While living there, I guided elk and deer hunters in the Weimnuche Wilderness north of the lake and also around the Hermosa Creek/Purgatory Ski area north of Durango. During the summer, I guided fishermen, both on the lake for pike and on horseback trips into the WW for trout.

But the winters at 8,300 ft. were killers. We averaged more than 400 inches of snow per year and temps often dipped into the minus 40 range. The ice normally stayed on the lake until April sometime.

This shot about 100 yards away from our driveway looking up Vallecito Creek at the north end of the lake was taken after a fresh snow. We had the same view of the mtns. from our kitchen window.

4a4e3c2267619173.jpg

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

That's just beautiful.

My time there as a resident was limited to not quite a year. I couldn't convince my long term (3yr) girlfriend that getting married and moving up was a good idea. She wouldn't live in a wilderness (Farmington, NM) and I better get back and marry her at home. 29 yrs later we're still at home but now she wishs she would have been a little more adventureous, We still have some good yrs left to do that.

Gotta go, everyone have a safe 4th, Kent

OK im not as advanced in knowledge as the rest of you but i remember going to legend city with my grandparents and then going to bill johnsons afterwards.
I miss Ferrells so much ! I wish my kids could've experienced that place, the amount of candy in there was awe inspiring for a kid.
Yellow Front on Main in Mesa. I lived for that store. Frog gigs, shells, hooks, deer bags etc etc.
I have a set of Blakely glasses too. What was the store TGIF or something I remember that one and fedmart, we used to get our Christmas tree there every year unless dad cut one down.
And how bout burger chef? My dads govt teacher at Tempe was also Harry Mitchell.
Taco Bells had the fire pits and bell beefers. Sonic put the plastic colored animals in your drink.
Bee line Drag strip Ahh the smell of nitro methane. LOL
You guys are great and brought up good mems for even me.
By the way there are a few cops left even today that still handle the early morning kids with shotguns going to hot dove spots, with care and understanding. becuase you never forget the time it has happened to you.
I miss ferrels and yellow front.
JD

I saw all the replies on the thread topic and figured somebody found a secret way to get the draw results! Nice to read all the tales of yore.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-13-09 AT 12:11PM (MST)[p]they shoulda renamed this thread/post - Back in the day - there's your new book Tony!! i get 10% for the idea-lol - i bet it'd be a good seller- anyway -

Lots of us have been here 45 yrs. or more - All the above posts where definatly a trip down memory lane -

Pima rd was a dirt rd that can off Mc dowell and ended at Indianschool -
nothing but adobe huts on the res.back then - the ole Diamondback horse riding stables of Scottsdale -
A hog farm where the now scottsdale community colledge sits -
59 th ave ended above Glendale ave and nothing but miles of orange groves out to the park
A sea of rose farms all along baseline rd.
Swimming at lower lake pleasant
the list goes on and on

Thanks for all the great ole photo's Tony ---GH

I agree, when I first made this post I had no idea that it would've taken the path that it did. I especially want to thank Tony for all of the awesome replys.

I was searching for a different old thread but came across this one from 2009. I thought some of the older AZ dudes here might enjoy reading some of it that goes waaaaaaaaaaaaay back in time. The title doesn't really reflect most of the content, with the better part of it starting at message #14 or so.

Last edited:
Thanks Tony, Enjoyed it. I didn't move to Phoenix till 1977 but remember alot of this content. Used to suscribe to Arizona Hunter and angler and Rocky mtn. Game and Fish. the good old days The Buck in My avatar from 3 years ago I got with Your Buddy Duwane Adams on the late Kaibab................................BULL!

Thanks Tony, Enjoyed it. I didn't move to Phoenix till 1977 but remember alot of this content. Used to suscribe to Arizona Hunter and angler and Rocky mtn. Game and Fish. the good old days The Buck in My avatar from 3 years ago I got with Your Buddy Duwane Adams on the late Kaibab................................BULL!
I recall that buck, Bob. Duwane gets it done!

My gig as a contributing editor with AH&A was fun. I pretty much had free rein as to what I wanted to write about, both as features & in the Last Shot column. Not many folks knew that I also wrote the Lake of the Month under the pen name, Lou Migali. My grandfather was Luigi Migali.

Hello OutdoorWriter,
I very much enjoyed following this thread from start to finish. Thank you so very much for digging it up from 2009. I have no doubt that we have probably crossed paths more than once over the years and had no idea of the common passion we both shared & still share for Arizona and the Outdoors. The memories this thread has brought back are almost overwhelming.
Thank you.
We moved to Phoenix in 1966 when I was still a kid. I grew up in the neighborhood around 35th Ave & Camelback (3242 W Mariposa) & I graduated from Alhambra H.S. in 1974. My buddies & I used to hit all the sporting goods stores & pawn shops you mentioned on a regular basis. We even used to play hooky from school just to go see all the cool stuff.
What a treat it would be if we could get some of the "Old Farts" still around & swap a story or two (or ten) around a camp fire!
The Valley sure has changed a bunch in the last 50 years!
Thanks again

Doug Karraker
aka Elkchaser

Hello OutdoorWriter,
I very much enjoyed following this thread from start to finish. Thank you so very much for digging it up from 2009. I have no doubt that we have probably crossed paths more than once over the years and had no idea of the common passion we both shared & still share for Arizona and the Outdoors. The memories this thread has brought back are almost overwhelming.
Thank you.
We moved to Phoenix in 1966 when I was still a kid. I grew up in the neighborhood around 35th Ave & Camelback (3242 W Mariposa) & I graduated from Alhambra H.S. in 1974. My buddies & I used to hit all the sporting goods stores & pawn shops you mentioned on a regular basis. We even used to play hooky from school just to go see all the cool stuff.
What a treat it would be if we could get some of the "Old Farts" still around & swap a story or two (or ten) around a camp fire!
The Valley sure has changed a bunch in the last 50 years!
Thanks again

Doug Karraker
aka Elkchaser
Small world, Doug. Actually your name seems familar, but I have no idea why or where.

My parent's house was at 3912 W. Mariposa, just west of the HS, north side, 3 doors down from the 39th Ave.

Although you were older, you might have gone to school with my kids -- Keith, Stacey & Scott. In the '60s we lived around 52 Ave. just south of Thomas. But when my wife started working for Mountain Bell in mid-'60s, my mom watched our kids. So for convenience sake, they attended Alhambra elementary at 39th. Ave & Grand Ave. into early '70s. They didn't attend Alhambra because we moved to CO in 1976, just before any of them hit HS years. Then when we retruned to AZ in 79, we wound up in the Independence HS district in Glendale. They all graduated from there.

After thinking a bit more, which is always dangerous for me :rolleyes: , I don't think you did go to school with my kids. Since you were east of 35th. you likely went to the one on 35th Ave. north of Camelback, huh?

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom