AZ deer early rifle hunts worth it?

Falro

Needing advice on what to do with my points.

I was fortunate enough to have a father who applied in AZ for me when I was younger and I am now 25 years old sitting on 17 points as a NR for deer, elk and sheep.
After doing a lot of research I realize even with having a few points I’ll never be able to draw a strip tag in the foreseeable future and the late 12a & 12b tags will be out of reach for a long long time as well, so I started considering the early rifle hunts.
My question is has anyone been on any of the early rifle hunts in 12aw-12ae-12b and what is a reasonable expectation on those hunts?
Or should I wait and hope to draw a late tag possibly some day?

Needing advice on what to do with my points.

I was fortunate enough to have a father who applied in AZ for me when I was younger and I am now 25 years old sitting on 17 points as a NR for deer, elk and sheep.
After doing a lot of research I realize even with having a few points I’ll never be able to draw a strip tag in the foreseeable future and the late 12a & 12b tags will be out of reach for a long long time as well, so I started considering the early rifle hunts.
My question is has anyone been on any of the early rifle hunts in 12aw-12ae-12b and what is a reasonable expectation on those hunts?
Or should I wait and hope to draw a late tag possibly some day?
How big of a deer would you be happy with? Personal opinion since you're lucky enough to have 17 points at 25 years old, I would wait for a late tag in 12aw. Might take another 15 years to draw but you'll only be 40 and will have an awesome hunt. If you just want a chance at a 170-180 type buck try for an early kaibab hunt with a good guide or try for 3c with a guide. Just remember if you draw an early tag you'll never have much of a chance ever again in your life to hunt a late rut hunt in az unless you get lucky on a random draw tag.

How big of a deer would you be happy with? Personal opinion since you're lucky enough to have 17 points at 25 years old, I would wait for a late tag in 12aw. Might take another 15 years to draw but you'll only be 40 and will have an awesome hunt. If you just want a chance at a 170-180 type buck try for an early kaibab hunt with a good guide or try for 3c with a guide. Just remember if you draw an early tag you'll never have much of a chance ever again in your life to hunt a late rut hunt in az unless you get lucky on a random draw tag.
Thanks for the advice, obviously I would love the opportunity to hunt in an area where seeing a 190+ isn’t unreasonable but I can’t see my self passing up a 175-180 type buck on a hunt like that considering I’d probably not go with a guide. The only reason I’m even considering trying to draw an early hunt is to possibly be able to draw an early archery tag up there someday. But I guess there’s always other states to go chase deer.

You’re young. Keep going for a premium late Kaibab or strip. They are the best mule deer tags you can get. Go hunt other states for nice bucks. Might draw next year, might be 20. Either way it will be worth the wait. Shout with any questions. Happy hunting

Bob Dykeman
Shadow Valley Outfitters

Well a different perspective here.
But the tag that is probably the most valuable down the road is in your sheep points.
If you’re going to keep putting in for sheep the next 20 years why not go for the holy grail deer tag? I’m thinking eventually you will realize how that is a huge gift.But I could be wrong.

The way the AZ draw works, any point level can draw any tag. Obviously odds are lower with lower points, but it is still possible. Every year, there are people that draw a 20+ point tag with only 1-2 points.

Keep applying for the late hunt. You could get lucky.

Thanks for the advice guys. I think after talking to a lot of experienced people I’ll stick with going for the late hunts and hope I catch up someday. Meanwhile I’ll try and hone my mule deer hunting skills In other states so when the time comes I’ll be ready! Thanks again guys

I drew the late Bab tag 4 years ago and killed the buck in my avatar with only 7 points as a res. I drew an early rifle bull tag this year in a top unit with only 7 points . Drew one in 1996 with only 3 points ! Somebody's Gotta get the tags . But I am waiting on Sheep with 30 points............................BULL!

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom