AZ early archery

RoughCountry

If a guy drew an early AZ unit 1 archery tag and wanted to hire an outfitter for the hunt who would you suggest? Im looking for an outfitter with some good bow hunting guides !! Im not interested in DIY or a big lodge I want to hire a good guide after all this time and $$$$ and see if we can tag team a big bull. Then again I might not draw but should.

Definitely wouldn't recommend burnt timber for unit 1. You would be wasting a lot of money. Call premium hunts out of springerville, they always seem to be very successful in unit 1.

Definitely wouldn't recommend burnt timber for unit 1. You would be wasting a lot of money. Call premium hunts out of springerville, they always seem to be very successful in unit 1.
Burnt Timber does hunt unit 1 as well and have killed more big bulls in Arizona than Premium Hunts ever dreams of. They are a good group of guys that are straight killers. Very experienced archery hunters as well. Premium Hunts is a good outfit but to say Burnt Timber would be wasting money is ridiculous. I personally hunted unit 1 in 2013 and crossed paths with Burnt Timber guys a lot. We were chasing some big bulls that they were also chasing and the day before I killed my bull they killed a stud 383" bull. I ended up at their camp one night for dinner and they even let us borrow some extra packs to pack my bull out. They are elk hunters through and through. If you draw and they have unit 1 openings you can feel confident that you will not have "wasted" your money.

The key is to do your research now. You’ve got time to make calls, chat with outfitters and more importantly the guide you’d be hunting with. When the results come out and more than likely the CC charges, every good guide will already be booked up.

Give me a shout if ya wanna chat more, we’ve got some awesome dudes in 1. We had a great year over there last year and are expecting another one!!

Bob Dykeman
Shadow Valley Outfitters

Burnt Timber does hunt unit 1 as well and have killed more big bulls in Arizona than Premium Hunts ever dreams of. They are a good group of guys that are straight killers. Very experienced archery hunters as well. Premium Hunts is a good outfit but to say Burnt Timber would be wasting money is ridiculous. I personally hunted unit 1 in 2013 and crossed paths with Burnt Timber guys a lot. We were chasing some big bulls that they were also chasing and the day before I killed my bull they killed a stud 383" bull. I ended up at their camp one night for dinner and they even let us borrow some extra packs to pack my bull out. They are elk hunters through and through. If you draw and they have unit 1 openings you can feel confident that you will not have "wasted" your money.
Little biased when you have family ties to the owner.

You’ll be cheating yourself if you don’t call A3. I’m sure glad I trusted those guys with my 22 elk points and had the absolute hunt of a lifetime. They take it seriously and are very client oriented.

I would definitely at least have a conversation with Daniel Franco - Burnt Timbers.
I deer hunted with him in 3C and came away with respect for his abilities and his honesty.
If he feels that he can give you a good hunt in unit 1, then I would lock it in.

I don't have any recommendations other than to research outfitters carefully. There are occassionally posts on here, with links to public documents, linking outfitters to poaching. Such things as improper tagging (I'm not talking about taking a picture without the tag in view, but tagging for someone else), hunting in the wrong unit, etc.

When I see those posts, I follow the public document trail, and add those guys to my off-limits list.

Good luck in the draw!

I don't have any recommendations other than to research outfitters carefully. There are occassionally posts on here, with links to public documents, linking outfitters to poaching. Such things as improper tagging (I'm not talking about taking a picture without the tag in view, but tagging for someone else), hunting in the wrong unit, etc.

When I see those posts, I follow the public document trail, and add those guys to my off-limits list.

Good luck in the draw!
I agree. I’ve seen some instances of a few AZ outfitters involved in some poaching type activities and I will definitely pass on them!! I’ve even been on the AZG&F web site and listened to some of the commissioners meetings involving some outfitters violations.

Little biased when you have family ties to the owner.
Being around them for 30+ years doesn't make me biased. It makes me educated as to what they can and actually do accomplish. I only spoke truth to a false that was given. I was only trying to be helpful and correct false information when I know first hand where they hunt and how good they are at what they do. I didn't tear anyone else down or trash another outfitter. I just wanted to provide accurate info on the subject because he is looking for options based on fact, not opinions based on whatever bias you may or may not have against them. There are a lot of good outfitters in unit 1 and false info was shared by you. All I did was correct that so he can make an educated decision for himself. Not sure where the family ties come in to play considering I'm not related in any shape or form to any of the Burnt Timber owners.

Being around them for 30+ years doesn't make me biased. It makes me educated as to what they can and actually do accomplish. I only spoke truth to a false that was given. I was only trying to be helpful and correct false information when I know first hand where they hunt and how good they are at what they do. I didn't tear anyone else down or trash another outfitter. I just wanted to provide accurate info on the subject because he is looking for options based on fact, not opinions based on whatever bias you may or may not have against them. There are a lot of good outfitters in unit 1 and false info was shared by you. All I did was correct that so he can make an educated decision for himself. Not sure where the family ties come in to play considering I'm not related in any shape or form to any of the Burnt Timber owners.
So because you were around them in unit 1 on one hunt and they killed a 380 bull and fed you dinner they are good outfitters? Daniel and Mike (your aunts brother) (notice I never said related, I said family ties) are decent at best even in 3c which is their main unit they guide. They are outdone there by several outfitters year after year. Funny how my opinion is "false" but yours is "true". OP just check the Instagram pages for all the proof you need. The proof is in the pudding.

So because you were around them in unit 1 on one hunt and they killed a 380 bull and fed you dinner they are good outfitters? Daniel and Mike (your aunts brother) (notice I never said related, I said family ties) are decent at best even in 3c which is their main unit they guide. They are outdone there by several outfitters year after year. Funny how my opinion is "false" but yours is "true". OP just check the Instagram pages for all the proof you need. The proof is in the pudding.
It's not real hard to see that you don't like them and that is fine. I am sure the OP can do their own research and find lots of success and positive reviews in their favor to make an educated decision. I personally don't think they would be wasting money and I personally have seen their success for decades. They are a premier outfitter in the White Mountains and are great to hunt with. Again, I'm not putting other outfitters down, just trying to avoid their name being trashed when I don't think it is warranted. So what if I am related to someone that is related to the owner... somehow that prevents me from having the ability to form an opinion over years of watching them kill animals? I have a huge family so I must have family ties to everyone on the mountain because somehow I'm related to someone that is related to someone...

I never said your opinion was invalid. Simply that it is more likely to be biased. Throw in the fact that Daniel the owner of Burnt Timber is a convicted poacher and I can't really see why anyone would hire them. But as Money and I said, do your own research and check out the social media pages and it won't take you long to see Burnt Timber is far down the list of best outfitters in unit 1.

This is true but if ya wanna make sure it’s not illegal better just go DIY, the list of outfitter, guides with illegal activity keeps growing and they still have social media promoting there selves, so I wouldn’t doubt if there is any out there that’s a 100% on the up and up and I’m betting this includes whoever this premium outfit is ? I’ll take a look ?

I’ll put that on the G&F departments and us as hunters, why let people keep doing business and why does the public keep supporting known poachers, I can go on social media and pull up a ton that have been convicted of poaching and still have thousands of followers but yet they still get to operate, **** I know of a well known outfit that was convicted poacher and Wy still let him buy a outfit here and run it makes lots of sense ??‍♂️.

Now back to OP, do the research that you feel is important for your hunt and pick an outfitter and get the biggest bull you can !!! Good luck in the draw !! ??

Unit 1 is a great place to hunt archery elk if you an experienced elk hunter with a bow and have realistic expectations and time , you should have good opportunities at good bulls with or without a guide .

For unit 1 Go Duwane Adams. His Son in law took over the buss. and He is Great too. They know unit 1 very well forever. If 3C I'd Go Franco without a doubt. He lives there...............................BULL!

Do yourself a favor and google every outfitter mentioned along with "poaching" and see who will at least keep you on the right side of the law.

For unit 1 Go Duwane Adams. His Son in law took over the buss. and He is Great too. They know unit 1 very well forever. If 3C I'd Go Franco without a doubt. He lives there...............................BULL!
Going to be 5 years before you can use Duwane Adams:ROFLMAO:

So BTO, A3 and Duwayne Adams have been recommended here. ALL have poaching convictions too. Who else is left?

I never said your opinion was invalid. Simply that it is more likely to be biased. Throw in the fact that Daniel the owner of Burnt Timber is a convicted poacher and I can't really see why anyone would hire them. But as Money and I said, do your own research and check out the social media pages and it won't take you long to see Burnt Timber is far down the list of best outfitters in unit 1.
so youre still holding something against someone that happened when they were a teenager lol. tell me youve never done anything wrong in your life. it was before he even started guiding brother. and there are some real professionals that take good pictures but the animals arent that big buddy. someone that bases who they will use as a guide of instagram pictures is a joke

so youre still holding something against someone that happened when they were a teenager lol. tell me youve never done anything wrong in your life. it was before he even started guiding brother. and there are some real professionals that take good pictures but the animals arent that big buddy. someone that bases who they will use as a guide of instagram pictures is a joke
Daniel? Is that you? Thanks for resurrecting an almost year old post to defend why it's ok you're a convicted poacher.

Lot of big name Outfitters didn't poach ,but I have heard of Wrong doing. Will not name names , but some would be surprized Who . Word gets out. It's a matter of who gets ratted on....................BULL!

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom