AZ Elk Semi-Live

Not sure how we didnt kill an elk tonight. Got into a screaming match at 60 yards with a bull. Clay was at 30. All his cows crossed the shooting lane at 25 yards, but the bull. He walked straight away after about 15 minutes of going back and forth. Cool encounter, screamed in clays face multiple times. Good fun. Not much time left though as days are running out.

Pretty slow morning so far. Had some bulls bugling sporadically in a valley before light. We tried tonget in front of one, but they all shut up at first light and no elk showed up.

Feom earlier today. Im not very experienced with bears, but he seemed pretty good sized.

20200922_102207.jpg

Well, probably worst night of the trip. Didnt hear a peep. Got into a couple spikes, but not what we are looking for. Last morning for clay to.orrow. last full dsy for me as i have to be on the road early Thursday. Whatever good juju you all have, send our way! 4th and 10.

20200922_182118.jpg

Well, probably worst night of the trip. Didnt hear a peep. Got into a couple spikes, but not what we are looking for. Last morning for clay to.orrow. last full dsy for me as i have to be on the road early Thursday. Whatever good juju you all have, send our way! 4th and 10.

View attachment 13382
Good luck. Wish you the best. Thanks for the great updates! I hope I am as good of a hunter as you are some day.

Chased a couple bugles this morbing and had a couple hunters mess it up. Sat down in a thick area for 30.seconds and 15 elk come by... but no shooter. Has gone quiet now.

Another rough night. Did get into one group, but nobody talking so couldbt keep track of them. Hail mary time in the morning before heading back

Made it home after a long drive. Gave it a whirl this morning to no avail.

I have probably been in this unit 8-9 times either with a tag or helping out friends. This was the slowest i can ever remember. We only had what i would call 2 normal mornings and maybe 1 or 2 evenings. Got into a lot of elk that just werent talking or showing any signs of tbe rut.

This unit, at least where i typically go, is mostly timbered... so no real glassing. Have ways relied on the bulls talking to work in on. Could have sat more water, but i just dont enjoy that piece of it. Still passed a couple 6 points early in the hunt, with no regrets. Best bull i saw was my first morning out.

Not making excuses above... we had chances, just didnt work out, or passed. I think i put in over 100 miles in the 11 days (mild terrain, but for all the rocks), so we went hard.

Saw some a few nice muley bucks, more than i have seen in the past. Bears, bobcats, turkeys.

Appreciate you all following along. Sorry we couldnt end it with a bull, but i was encouraged by the responses, especially after the long days started to rack up.

Maybe i can get the tag again soon and try this again. I do have a few more hunts this year...

Totally enjoyed the ride! Hope to have more in the near future to follow. You sure put in the effort but the stars didn’t align this time. Thanks again

Although it may have been a "down" year for you, it sounds like you were in elk about every day. Well, except for the day you left elk to go find more. :D Anyway, great hunts don't always require a kill. One of my better hunts, I never pulled the trigger.

Really enjoyed following. Thanks for taking the time. BTW, did you post from your phone or laptop?

Although it may have been a "down" year for you, it sounds like you were in elk about every day. Well, except for the day you left elk to go find more. :D Anyway, great hunts don't always require a kill. One of my better hunts, I never pulled the trigger.

Really enjoyed following. Thanks for taking the time. BTW, did you post from your phone or laptop?

Agree and thanks for following along. Posted all from phone.

Thanks for taking us along. You worked hard and had a great hunt. To bad you did not punch your tag, but some great memories there.

Great posting CMB, The story was easy to see thru words.
I felt like I was there close by your side sometimes.
Hope you do it again on your next hunts.
The pictures was great.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom